How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-16-2010, 06:04 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Thumbs down One hell of an electrical gremlin

A few days ago, my climate control unit shut off. I knew I had to replace it due to the buttons being worn and it randomly changing settings, and this meant that I had to do it. So I took out the old one, tossed in one I bought a few months ago off ebay, and all was well for about 2 days.

Started the car in the morning, pressed the button, and nothing. Phone charger wasn't lit, and clock wasn't working, so the first thing I though was that it was just the fuse. Sure enough, I pulled it, and it was blown. Replaced, ignition on, and it blew immediately. Did it again and it yielded the same results, obviously there was an issue.

In addition to this, I've had a recent issue with my main window switch where sometimes I would press it, and it would take a second for the driver window to go down. I figured I'd have to get the switch, posted, but never found anything, so I left it as is. The functionality of all the other windows was fine. Driving this morning, I suddenly found that my window wouldn't open, and neither would any of the others from my switch. I leaned over to the passenger side, and saw that it went up and down, though I tried it again at home and it didn't budge.

I searched the site, checked my fuses and whatnot, and can't find jack. I haven't checked the relay under the driver seat, but my seats and sunroof are fine, so I'm going to assume that it's not the issue unless someone else thinks otherwise. I took everything apart again to see if I left anything loose, and it all checked out.

So now I have no A/C and my windows don't work, and I'm supposed to drive to my graduation tomorrow like this. Anyone know what's going on? I'm out of things to check, and this is really making me a sad panda. Please advise.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: One hell of an electrical gremlin

Give me a minute to find my post.
And here it is
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52869

I should ask if your radio works.

Also I can't comment on the windows I don't believe it to be a related issue just one that happened at the same time.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 05-16-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Find all units in the circuit for the fuse that keeps blowing...

Unplug them one by one why measuring resistance to ground using a std DVOM. Once there is an open circuit or very high resistance to ground, you have found your component that is cooking... or at very least you have found the section of wire that is shorting out. Have you had an alternator failure recently?

Tom
Old 05-16-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
And here it is

Also I can't comment on the windows I don't believe it to be a related issue just one that happened at the same time.
My radio works, and I don't SEEM to be having the same problems you were describing in that post. The cig fuse is not blown in my car. Regardless, I do recall that my light in the visor stopped working recently, but I haven't checked the bulb to see if it's blown. I'm going to do that tomorrow, I honestly hope the issue is related to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Find all units in the circuit for the fuse that keeps blowing...

Unplug them one by one why measuring resistance to ground using a std DVOM. Once there is an open circuit or very high resistance to ground, you have found your component that is cooking... or at very least you have found the section of wire that is shorting out. Have you had an alternator failure recently?

Tom
Sounds like a field day No alternator fault. I've got half a mind at this point to put in a 25 amp fuse and see what starts smoking...but that'd just be out of frustration. On a side note, how the hell do you remove the cigarette lighter without breaking anything? I wanted to check the connection behind it but couldn't get it out for the life of me.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Maniac modifier

its a huige PITA to remove that... Leave it there.

Really it sounds like your ACC functions have all gone to ****... although the sunroof is working yes??

It does take a bit of time and a schematic to help point out the items in the circuit... But you don't really have a choice do you?

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 05-16-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
its a huige PITA to remove that... Leave it there.

Really it sounds like your ACC functions have all gone to ****... although the sunroof is work yes??

It does take a bit of time and a schematic to help point out the items in the circuit... But you don't really have a choice do you?

Tom
HURR. Kinda wish I had crank windows right about now. I just don't understand how they all took a dump right around the same time.

Oh, and $5 says you don't miss the SVX, do you? lol.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Maniac modifier

I still have the silver... its for sale though... the windows work in that... wana buy it?

Tom
Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 PM

lol, great reasoning. I want to buy it. I mean at $8000...man. The drivetrain and supercharger alone make it so worth it. I'd just afriad of all the little specially customized bits and pieces, and all my cash and credit will soon be tied up in a business I'm starting up. Just waiting for a few more papers on that end. Seriously might just use my bike to get to work to eliminate all extra costs as it is, lol.

But yea, I think about that car a lot dude. 8gs. Do you know what kind of 240sx gets sold for 8gs? Usually ones that are just swapped and cammed. I know they're lame, but have you tried tristatetuners, njtuners, nazicock, rs25, and the like?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Now down to only ONE!

Hi Mensaf-
I might recall a thread once mentioning the visor light wires shorting near the visor hinge.
96 SVX Lsi #821, Bordeaux Pearl, 4.44 98 Legacy Trans, Trans Resistor Mod, Dakota Digital Trans Temp Gauge on A-Pillar Pod (awesome), B&M Trans Cooler in Driver's Wheel Well, External Spin-on Trans Filter, Synthetic Fluids in Trans and Diffs, 17x7.5 Primax 695 Rims, Alcyone Rear Panel, Svxfiles' 5000 k HIDs, Clear Headlights, "BOXER6" License Plate, Hard Wired Radar Detector, 94 Power Up Window Switch, Motor Resealed, new Coil Packs, new NGK Iridium Plugs, PVC Valve, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Gloss Black Calipers and Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, SS Brake Lines, Superb TomsSVX Cat Back Exhaust... SS Resonator, Flowmaster 80 Muffler, Magnaflow Quad SS Tips, Poly Swaybar Bushings, Endlink Mod, Rear Subframe Bushing Mod. Feels great and sounds even better. Thanks to AWD, LLC.

2003 Outback llb H6 3.0 Titanium Pearl- "BOXERR" Mostly Stock

1995 Bmw 325i Conv. Calypso Red- "RBOXER" Modest Mods

2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-tec 15' Jet Boat, 1494cc, 1454#, 155 HP= <10#/HP Stock
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
And here it is

I just checked the bulbs in the visor and saw that they were blown. Odds of it being a coincidence? Hopefully slim. I'm going to follow up in the morning, and if not, try to pull the driver seat after work and check that relay. Maybe only part of it is blown or something? All I know is that no windows or A/C is hell right about now.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

IIRC removing the cigarette light isn't all that hard. It's removing the wood grain part that's difficult. I had a similar problem, turned out to be the fuseable link on the back of the lighter. If that is the problem, don't get an aftermarket lighter. If you use your lighter at all OEM is where it's at!

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
IIRC removing the cigarette light isn't all that hard. It's removing the wood grain part that's difficult. I had a similar problem, turned out to be the fuseable link on the back of the lighter. If that is the problem, don't get an aftermarket lighter. If you use your lighter at all OEM is where it's at!
I have a huge feeling that it's coming from that. How the hell do you take that woodgrain off without breaking it? I was ready to pull it and snap whatever was holding it. The fuse blows even if the climate control is off, so it has to be something live.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post
I just checked the bulbs in the visor and saw that they were blown. Odds of it being a coincidence? Hopefully slim. I'm going to follow up in the morning, and if not, try to pull the driver seat after work and check that relay. Maybe only part of it is blown or something? All I know is that no windows or A/C is hell right about now.
hold on now... did they both blow around the same time? I'd attempt to recheck your work you did with the other unit. Check and make sure there isn't a wire being shorted / grounded in the wrong place.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 05-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbsvx View Post
Hi Mensaf-
I might recall a thread once mentioning the visor light wires shorting near the visor hinge.
I second checking the visor wires. Use of the visors sometimes causes these wires to break and short to the inside of the pillar.

Many odd electrical malfunctions have been traced back to this.

Just unscrew the visor at the mounting plates and see if the wires are broken.

Read THIS THREAD

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 05-17-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I second checking the visor wires. Use of the visors sometimes causes these wires to break and short to the inside of the pillar.

Many odd electrical malfunctions have been traced back to this.

Just unscrew the visor at the mounting plates and see if the wires are broken.

Read THIS THREAD

Hi John,

Do me a favor and click the link in post #2