How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-08-2010, 02:28 AM

92 Subaru SVX with climate control issue

Hello all,

Some may remember me from the electrical issues I had previously had.

A little more history about my SVX, first.

The previous owner found it with the body wrecked and rusted out, and spent the time and money to restore it. She traded it in because she had been forced to go on disability, and was no longer able to comfortably get in and out of the car.

We just replaced the alternator in it (and haven't had an issue from it since). We are getting ready to replace the knock sensors, as well as the coolant temperature sensor.

At the moment, however, we have noticed that the engine will sputter and drop RPM's at idle (goes from ~900 to ~5-600 rpm's in park) when you press either the Econ or Vent buttons on climate control system. It will also randomly sputter while driving, sometimes idling at lights, othertimes it will sputter or surge while accelerating or cruising. (Some of this we believe the replacement of the knock sensors may fix, but my wife and I fear there is something else wrong as well).

Any idea what this is caused by?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:52 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 92 Subaru SVX with climate control issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrecess View Post
Hello all,

Some may remember me from the electrical issues I had previously had.

A little more history about my SVX, first.

The previous owner found it with the body wrecked and rusted out, and spent the time and money to restore it. She traded it in because she had been forced to go on disability, and was no longer able to comfortably get in and out of the car.

We just replaced the alternator in it (and haven't had an issue from it since). We are getting ready to replace the knock sensors, as well as the coolant temperature sensor.

At the moment, however, we have noticed that the engine will sputter and drop RPM's at idle (goes from ~900 to ~5-600 rpm's in park) when you press either the Econ or Vent buttons on climate control system. It will also randomly sputter while driving, sometimes idling at lights, othertimes it will sputter or surge while accelerating or cruising. (Some of this we believe the replacement of the knock sensors may fix, but my wife and I fear there is something else wrong as well).

Any idea what this is caused by?
Normally at idle, the ECU (engine control unit), compensates for the extra load imposed by the air conditioning compressor etc, by electrically adjusting the bypass air control valve. First things first. Refer to the how to section and run an engine diagnostic check. This component is covered by code 24.

It will be two birds with one stone, as you will also receive readings for the knock and coolant sensors.

A leaking air hose could possibly be involved. Use a length of flexible tube as a make do stethoscope, and check under and around the inlet manifold for rushing air noises, as you move the throttle on and off idle.

You do not have to be an automotive expert. Well applied common sense will get you a long way.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Hello again, darkrecess. If you ever need any SVX help locally, please let me know. I am familiar with your car (assuming it's the custom blue SVX and you purchased it from Wanita.) It was actually restored by the same amazing craftsman who restored mine!

I know svxs pretty well and have lots of spare parts, too. As trevor said, your first step should be to check for engine codes. Do you have a check engine light illuminated?
2001 Audi S8
Old 05-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Yes, we currently have a check engine light. We pulled it and it flashed a code for the knock sensor (only one of them, although I am a believer in replacing paired items at the same time, so I am replacing them both.)

I had done a little research and found some information about the idle air control valve, but I'm not really sure if that would cause the problems or not.

Also, Green1995SVX, we bought the car from Smith-Gray... She had traded it in for a newer car that she was more comfortable with. And yes, it is the custom blue svx.

Last edited by darkrecess; 05-08-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Okay, so I have a couple options with the knock sensors...

I have found that the front knock sensor (just behind the alternator) is cracked all the way through. The only thing holding it together is the bolt going through the middle of it....

I can get both sensors replaced by my mechanic... It's a 4-hour job, as they claim they need to remove the intake and all that stuff to get access to the knock sensor in the rear.

I don't know about all that... The one guy I've been talking to here says that it's possible to do it without removing the intake.

So I can...

A) Replace the one knock sensor myself and see if that solves the performance problems

B) Take it to my mechanic and spend the cash on labor to have the manifold removed, both new sensors installed and see if that solves the problems (there is another issue with this...)

C) Take it to my friend's mechanic and see what they say.

With option B, they have to replace the upper intake gaskets. Understandable. However, I am coming across two different types of gaskets (they can't find any anywhere).

I've found this:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...um_gasket.html

And another that I can't find a link for at the moment, although it has a few more "stubs" that look like they are for bolt holes. My mechanic recommended the one I linked, but I just wanted to make sure we would be getting the right part if we choose option B.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks