Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 05-03-2010, 01:08 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: building engines and turboing 2 svx's woot woot!

Hmm, interesting. Seems like that would always affect the structural rigidity in some way, wouldn't it? Sure would make the cramped engine bay a lot more flexible though. And it would have to be welded in? (bolting not an option?)
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

the purpose of pipe or beam etc is to reinforce the frame structure, thereby not losing the rigidity of the engine bay.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX

OK guys....too much talk not enough walk. Saddest thing is this is probably the most active thread on the network. Your header comment about splicing an extra set of stock WRX headers is what finally tipped me in that you have no idea what you are doing. If your lucky your cars will drive when you are done. If your really lucky they will pull to red line without falling on their face. A broken clock is still right twice a day.

icingdeath88: As far as a turbo goes for a low boost setup, I would still go with the 70 a/r 60-1 with 82 t3 hot side and stage 3 turbine. Feel free to email if you want advice. ECUTune aggressive works great for me, especially for the price. Need to be sure the header is the goods, otherwise your whole effort will be for not.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

I guess you just woke up and all of the sudden knew everything to do on the EG33 right? what i feel like doing might not work, who the hell knows.. it's all trial and error, if your system is so fantastic then get the thing on the open market. if i'm lucky my car might start up after 300hrs of work, or blow up. i don't care. bouncing ideas off everyone seems to be great if i get good input and not basicily "your an idiot so have fun" i have nothing to do on this project until july so i'm kind of just thinking aloud and hoping for some good contructive input here.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:05 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Angry Re: building engines and turboing 2 svx's woot woot!

I've been researching turboing my svx for years now. I don't agree with his comment about the headers, however I do agree that putting this up for discussion before just hacking away ay my svx and praying it will work is in my opinion a much better solution. Yes we are doing lots of talking, but we both also work full time and aren't old and have pockets deep enough to fork out whatever cash is needed to **** up a few times before getting it right.

I have been studying both your setup as well as svxtasy's and I'm pulling ideas from both as well as my own ideas. I also don't want to just turbo it and see what happens. I plan to build the motor correctly with the internals that will be able to withstand the power I want. I also want to make sure my engine is not running to lean or too rich. I want to make sure that I don't buy 5 turbos before finding one that does the job right. I'm not trying to bash you phil but I plan to go with quality and make the fastest svx in the world, one that could potentially be a 10 second car.

So in order to save myself from being hassled anymore I will tell you to read the begining of the thread once more as it will state right there that we had no intensions of starting this project even as early as we are.

As far as an update goes I will say that before I can start tearing into my svx and rebuilding the motor I need to fix the front end from the wreck I was in last month. So I am working on my svx just not quite working on the turbo. And engine build yet, however cole and I plan to start hacking into. A parts svx here in the next few weeks and start test fitting some pipes.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:15 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX View Post
icingdeath88: As far as a turbo goes for a low boost setup, I would still go with the 70 a/r 60-1 with 82 t3 hot side and stage 3 turbine. Feel free to email if you want advice. ECUTune aggressive works great for me, especially for the price. Need to be sure the header is the goods, otherwise your whole effort will be for not.
Thanks for the input. How would I go about finding a turbo like that?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Thanks for the input. How would I go about finding a turbo like that?
http://www.phoenixturbo.com
go to garrett turbochargers
Garrett T3/60-1 w/ .82 a/r
Old 05-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

he is right about the header... The merge needs to be as close as possible to the turbo and the wastegate if using an external needs to be on the merge for proper balance of the two bank pressures... Its not rocket science and I know Phil is being a little blunt... Sometimes you need to look at negative feedback with an open mind

Tom
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Yes Phil is right about the header.

The basis of it is that the energy to drive the turbine, is the heat energy in the exhaust gas. So the closer that you can get the turbine to the exhaust port, the higher energy put into the turbine. So long single header pipes would dissipate a lot of that energy.

The problem is using a single turbo, as to do that, you have to separate the two banks exhaust ports, to prevent exhaust pressure interference. Thats why most six cylinders use twin turbos, to keep the exhausts short, keep the heat up, and no interference.

The header on that kit is too short a path from the two banks, it will cause interference as the pressure goes up. The one Phil has is the best to suit where the turbo is mounted, though for maximum, the pipe could be wrapped or shielded.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:00 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

So, your telling me the WRX header design won't work not because i can't physically build one, but because of the individual tubes will cause an energy drop that will not be as efficient as as 2 pipe merge system..
well now that i understand, i was under the impression that you wanted all the cylinders to be about equal distance from the turbine inlet, that is why i figure using a "equal length" design would of been superior.. but now i understand..
Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

my idea was to run the three on either side back similarly to the way they are originally but to sort of elongate it a bit and draw them to the center under the oil pan and y pipe into one pipe that runs over and into the turbo for the up-pipe. that way the header section is equal length but collects and goes up as the up pipe, reducing the right angles that need to be used increasing flow and reducing resistance.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:56 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Yes Phil is right about the header.

The basis of it is that the energy to drive the turbine, is the heat energy in the exhaust gas. So the closer that you can get the turbine to the exhaust port, the higher energy put into the turbine. So long single header pipes would dissipate a lot of that energy.

The problem is using a single turbo, as to do that, you have to separate the two banks exhaust ports, to prevent exhaust pressure interference. Thats why most six cylinders use twin turbos, to keep the exhausts short, keep the heat up, and no interference.

The header on that kit is too short a path from the two banks, it will cause interference as the pressure goes up. The one Phil has is the best to suit where the turbo is mounted, though for maximum, the pipe could be wrapped or shielded.

Harvey.
I have mine wrapped up well in heat wrap from turbo to headers. I may not have done so if I drove my car a lot in rain and snow. even though you would most likely be using TIG'd 304L, the welds can crack.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

here you go.....

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Is this an O2 sensor on only one side?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
here you go.....

-Bill
As I've stated before I plan to do a similar design to this just more streamlined and less right angles and drastic flow angle changes to allow for the path of least resistance to be easier.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: