Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 06-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: new coilover opportunity (March, 2010)

"Too harsh for daily driving" is totally a matter of perspective. If not for an interest in handling to pursue autocross performance, I'd consider my 385/315 (iirc) combo to be a little firmer than I'd like, partly due to feeling road irregularities, and mostly due to the SMASH (not BUMP) felt when hitting even subtle potholes - something I haven't found in any stock suspension. I'm not the type to choose a squishy ride; I do dig performance and lean that way when modifying my cars, but I'm prone to believe that a 450/350 combo would be too firm for most tastes.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 PM

Re: new coilover opportunity (March, 2010)

proper spring rates are proper spring rates. Don't be confused by soft = comfy and stiff = evil.

My legacy GT I was running 9K front, 10K rear springs and it was less harsh than a stock Outback (which frankly was brutal for a stock suspension). The extra spring rate worked wonders for keeping the car out of the suspension stops. And if you really want comfy you should roll good quality all-season tires with a decent sidewall height as the start to a better, quieter ride.

With 6k springs in front as the first test items it was into the bumpstop over anything much thicker than a painted line it felt like. 8K was about the right spot.

Oh and the stiffness Vs ridequality will also depend on the strut stiffness. My testing was usualy done with the strut on full soft to minimize its effects on the selection. Its certainly possible if the struts are very hard in compression that a lower rate spring will be approprate given the extra resistance from the strut.

Last if someone knows what cars if any the SVX shares tophats with, it will make thier job much easier since they can use off the shelf parts there.