How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Re: Let's play: Guess the electrical gremlin in the Gremlin!

I found the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Ok, I have a 1975 AMC Gremlin.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
No a diode resitor pack in after the idiot light before it goes to the other items on the circuit.
Nope, there is nothing like that. Which if there were a diode between the idiot light and the rest of the cluster, the gauges wouldn't have worked at all, instead of just reading low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSvx View Post
Oh, of course..! You switched the wires in the alternator, thats why the light remained off when engine off but swith in ign position, and on when engine running.
No, the alternator was properly connected the whole time.

The problem was more cluster related.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:01 PM

Registered SVX

NO? Let me guess, the problem was the meter fuse, or the cluster ground, or a broken ring, or a flat tire, or... i quit!!

PS: Really, it wasnt a gremlin eating your wiring?
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe

Last edited by MadMaxSvx; 12-02-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSvx View Post
Let me guess, the problem was the meter fuse
Yep, it was the fuse to the cluster, must have blown it when the original alternator went out.

I didn't expect it because the gauges and idiot lights still kinda worked. I looked over the schematic in my service manual and saw it was possible for power to back feed from voltage regulator of the alternator through the idiot light and power up the gauges and since this idiot light was before them in this backwards circuit and adding resistance, they would read lower than normal, but they wouldn't work at all when the engine was not running.

The way the idiot light works is there is normally 12 volts supplied to one lead of the bulb from the cluster when the switch is on and the alternator is also supplying 12 volts to the other lead when it is charging, so the light stays off because there is no ground. When the alternator isn't charging, it becomes the ground, so the light comes on. My light was working backwards because the alternator was supplying the voltage and it found a ground through the rest of my gauges.

Makes perfect sense now, but a blown fuse was one of the last things on my mind until I looked at the schematic.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yep, it was the fuse to the cluster, must have blown it when the original alternator went out.

I didn't expect it because the gauges and idiot lights still kinda worked. I looked over the schematic in my service manual and saw it was possible for power to back feed from voltage regulator of the alternator through the idiot light and power up the gauges and since this idiot light was before them in this backwards circuit and adding resistance, they would read lower than normal, but they wouldn't work at all when the engine was not running.

The way the idiot light works is there is normally 12 volts supplied to one lead of the bulb from the cluster when the switch is on and the alternator is also supplying 12 volts to the other lead when it is charging, so the light stays off because there is no ground. When the alternator isn't charging, it becomes the ground, so the light comes on. My light was working backwards because the alternator was supplying the voltage and it found a ground through the rest of my gauges.

Makes perfect sense now, but a blown fuse was one of the last things on my mind until I looked at the schematic.

Next time, the first thing to check are the fuses!
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

You deserve being pleased with yourself. You carefully analysed what was in technical jargon a sneak circuit, somewhat akin to that which which results in the Christmas tree" episodes.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
You deserve being pleased with yourself. You carefully analysed what was in technical jargon a sneak circuit, somewhat akin to that which which results in the Christmas tree" episodes.
It is easy when your entire car's wiring diagram fits on about 5 8.5x11 pages, the SVX's diagrams scare the hell out of me and I have some gremlins to work out in mine.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:

See if you would've had that diode/resistor pack my TVR has which prevents back feeding you wouldn't have had this problem. Nothing would have worked.. K.I.S.S. is the philosophy I preach concerning electrical gremlins, one of these days I'm sure to listen to it too.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
It is easy when your entire car's wiring diagram fits on about 5 8.5x11 pages, the SVX's diagrams scare the hell out of me and I have some gremlins to work out in mine.
If the auto industry produced true schematic drawings as well as wiring diagrams, there would not be a problem.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
You think that is scary? The EWD (Electrical Wiring Diagram) book for the 2010 Toyota Camry is like, 300 pages! (The book is like 2 inches thick. It's really scary when you hold it next to the complete service manual for my 68 Polara, and it's the same size...)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
You think that is scary? The EWD (Electrical Wiring Diagram) book for the 2010 Toyota Camry is like, 300 pages! (The book is like 2 inches thick. It's really scary when you hold it next to the complete service manual for my 68 Polara, and it's the same size...)
I think the SVX is about as complex as I want to get into. Even it is a little out of the ordinary for me, not much newer than the 1980s catches my eye. I'm more into the 1950s and 1960s stuff.

I'm going to have to draw my own wiring diagram as I build my 1959 Rambler American, it is going to get a 1996 Land Rover 4.0L (direct relative of the 1960s Buick 215 V8) with the EFI. It isn't the first car I have wired from scratch, my first was my 1966 Mustang, but it will by my first time with EFI.