Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-26-2001, 02:31 PM
Bobbiji

Question Difficult to restart hot engine...

Hi Gang. Advice please. I am experiencing difficulty restarting the engine sometimes when it is hot. Catches but doesn't want to run at idle. Lots of cranking and wide open throttle will get it going eventually - then it runs rough for a time. Thought maybe the throttle position sensor or an oxygen sensor might be a culprit. Does this problem ring a bell with anyone? Suggestions welcome. Thanks, Bob.
Old 05-26-2001, 03:17 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Difficult to restart hot engine...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbiji
Hi Gang. Advice please. I am experiencing difficulty restarting the engine sometimes when it is hot. Catches but doesn't want to run at idle. Lots of cranking and wide open throttle will get it going eventually - then it runs rough for a time. Thought maybe the throttle position sensor or an oxygen sensor might be a culprit. Does this problem ring a bell with anyone? Suggestions welcome. Thanks, Bob.
Hmmm, normally I'd suspect a bad pressure regulator or fuel pump. But that doesn't explain the holding the throttle open scenario. That would be like putting the thing in "clear flood" mode...shutting off the fuel. Does it belch white smoke when it does start? That would indicate an injector leaking and flooding a cylinder and explain the need to hold the throttle open. Are you getting a check engine light? What I'd do is to put a guage in the fuel line, pressurize the system and then let it sit, see if the pressure drops, and then run it for a time and see what the pressure does then. I once had to put a few bucks worth of Conoco gas in my '94 and I had drivabilty problems until it was used up. I'll push it to a Chevron station before I use Conoco fuel again.
Old 05-27-2001, 02:35 AM
Bobbiji

Thumbs up Difficult to restart hot...

Eddycat,

Thanks for the suggestion. Come to think of it, sounds just like the vaporlock that used to happen to cars in hot weather all the time. I thought that was a thing of the past. The problem showed up again following a good long highway run on a warm day on my way home from the independent shop where I have the car serviced. The owner/tech (a fellow SVXer) had just checked the codes and found two problems flagged - an 0-2 sensor and the heat switch (I think he said). He ordered the parts. I add that the engine WANTS to start, catches briefly every time when the throttle is in normal start position (closed) but will not keep running. I have to crank it like crazy with half or more throttle to get it to go and then keep running. It feels more like lack of fuel than flooding. No smoke. I'll make him aware of your suggestion when I go back for the installation. Any others you have welcome also.

Bob, with several cats too.