SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Does the SVX have Snap Oversteer?

Thinking about it, the SVX does have understeer. From my experience it's the rears that begin to break loose if you hit the corners too aggressively. Backing off on the gas real quick in that situation in any good handling car with mid engine or low centre of gravity will induce oversteer & snap oversteer in many. I've also read on this forum of a few SVX's that have rolled. I know of 2 locally.

Would like to hear from other members on this one.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: Does the SVX have Snap Oversteer?

I know of someone that worked on an SVX just last year and as they were leaving the driveway and headed down the road, they rolled... Don't know if it was due to oversteer but I do believe so.

Also, I like to drive fast... ALL the time. And when I hit turns going at a decent speed, I feel the rear slipping a bit.. Never been scare of rolling till you mentioned it..

Thanks... lol
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

not in its stock form... The center clutches should drop most drive to the rear wheels on a fast decceleration. Thus not providing them with any reason to lose traction... It would be incredibly hard to roll an SVX on a flat surface. Too low a center of gravity w/ tires that are not wide enough to provide the traction to let it roll.

Tom
Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 AM

Registered SVX

i can see it....back wheels lose traction, slip to the side, steer it out, then they grip again all of a sudden from other direction, then roll......this is while letting up from when just coming from full throttle to slide.........
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
not in its stock form... The center clutches should drop most drive to the rear wheels on a fast decceleration. Thus not providing them with any reason to lose traction... It would be incredibly hard to roll an SVX on a flat surface. Too low a center of gravity w/ tires that are not wide enough to provide the traction to let it roll.

Tom
What Tom said

Now, in non-stock form.....

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Could this happen if your AWD isn't working correctly? Like, what if your AWD only kicks in "every so often" or "when if feels like it"?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Looks and smells great.

My car's pretty stock, and if anything I've only noticed mild understeer.

I also think it would spin before it would roll, but I have yet to test this theory
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 12-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Bill and Tom sound dead on with the rolling problem. Too wide a tires and an un-even surface/shift of altitude in a road surface, that's a different story.

I believe the original poster is thinking snap-oversteer as the wrong thing... the fact of the matter is unless the car is RWD you're not going to get snap oversteer. Snap-oversteer is referring to the car all of a sudden spinning out while in a slide that is seemingly stable. It happens in MR cars alot, and older RX-7's are also notorious for it.

With the SVX not being RWD it's just about impossible for it to develop snap-oversteer. It would seem the majority of posters on this thread believe snap overtsteer to really be snap "understeer"... that is the car is starting to slide out, and then all of a sudden catches itself, and throws the weight the other way... like on a motorcycle for instance. This could cause it to roll. Snap oversteer makes you spin out... the car wouldn't roll.

I've been heavy into the drift world the last few months, so I feel this is one of the few topics I can really weigh in at the moment on.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 12-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

Rolling is hard to accomplish I would think. I also drive my SVX rather fast, take turns fast, etc. I have never felt the threat of rolling, but have felt the wheels starting to lose grip going around sharp corners at higher than normal speeds. I feel that it would slide out before it would flip on a flat surface. Now if your sliding sideways and hit a curb or something low that the wheels catch on, you might have the momentum to roll, or maybe hit a smokey and the bandit type ramp, maybe. Regular road, I don't see how it could happen, unless you turned to the left then a hard jerk to the right. Then though seems more like a spin out than a roll though.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:37 PM

Years ago, when my dad owned the SVX that he recently gave to me, I borrowed the car while he was away on a business trip. I was taking an exit ramp at around 80-85, and everything was holding perfectly, right on the edge. As I approached the end of the ramp, the thought briefly crossed my mind that if anyone was coming up the road that I had to merge onto, I would be totally screwed! I lifted off the gas and just barely tapped the brakes before I could think about it and stop myself. As soon as I tapped the brakes, with the tires already right on the edge, the back end swung out almost instantly. I countered, and then when it caught it snapped the other way, then I countered again and it snapped back, spining the car 270 degrees, and smashing the rear wheel into a curb. This left me with 3 days to call every junkyard in NJ looking for an SVX, getting the whole rear suspension from one junkyard, the wheel from another, and getting everything fixed in the driveway before he got back home. I somehow managed to get it all accomplished, and afterward felt the need to confess to my dad what happened. Since the car was all back together already, luckily he wasn't too pissed. Anyway, so given that experience, I would say yes it does have snap oversteer. It was definitely less predictable mid-slide than my cougars are. I would also say that it would be extremely difficult to roll one, as I was going sideways at 80mph, and it stayed perfectly level.
91 Marcury Cougar, 393" stroker, completely insane!
89 Mercury Cougar XR7, supercharged V6/5-speed, one of 2209. Engine currently dead, replacement in garage being rebuilt.
80 Pontiac Firebird formula, 350TPI swapped in, car needs to be finished.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

From my experience, I sure don't think it does.

Last edited by LetItSnow; 12-15-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:08 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

My SVX has snap understeer, as in, "Oh snap! Understeer!!" My 820hp SVX in Midnight Wangan oversteers a lot. That's a hard car to flip, all things considored. I'd imagine that even with a 6spd it'd be difficult unless you had the center diff locked at the 35/65 split...maybe.

I DID however get mine up on two wheels a few times when a few of us were horsing around in an empty lot up here. I guess if you can upset the balance fast enough, you could create a situation where the car would flip over. I didn't feel going up or anything, but everyone else told me that I was definitly up on two wheels more than a few times at some really really sharp turns. I calmed down after that because I didn't feel like rolling a car that night.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenderhead View Post
Years ago, when my dad owned the SVX that he recently gave to me, I borrowed the car while he was away on a business trip. I was taking an exit ramp at around 80-85, and everything was holding perfectly, right on the edge. As I approached the end of the ramp, the thought briefly crossed my mind that if anyone was coming up the road that I had to merge onto, I would be totally screwed! I lifted off the gas and just barely tapped the brakes before I could think about it and stop myself. As soon as I tapped the brakes, with the tires already right on the edge, the back end swung out almost instantly. I countered, and then when it caught it snapped the other way, then I countered again and it snapped back, spining the car 270 degrees, and smashing the rear wheel into a curb. This left me with 3 days to call every junkyard in NJ looking for an SVX, getting the whole rear suspension from one junkyard, the wheel from another, and getting everything fixed in the driveway before he got back home. I somehow managed to get it all accomplished, and afterward felt the need to confess to my dad what happened. Since the car was all back together already, luckily he wasn't too pissed. Anyway, so given that experience, I would say yes it does have snap oversteer. It was definitely less predictable mid-slide than my cougars are. I would also say that it would be extremely difficult to roll one, as I was going sideways at 80mph, and it stayed perfectly level.
That is known as tail braking... The ability to steer the car with the brakes...not snap oversteer.

Tom
Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenderhead View Post
You "trail braked" into a dynamic instability where the weight transfer got ahead of you. I did something similar in Ben and Dave's "RaceCar" a couple of years ago....
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
You "trail braked" into a dynamic instability where the weight transfer got ahead of you. I did something similar in Ben and Dave's "RaceCar" a couple of years ago....
-Bill
when in doubt... throttle out right??? Just make sure that building can move in time!!!

Tom