Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: who wants an aftermarket rear sway bar?

Just to clarify things.

1. I did get my 3 piece front bar from Mychailo and yes, Dave Clark did the heavy lifting on it.

2. I fabricated my own 1 piece rear bar, with "blue tip wrench" help from my machinist/welder friend Sean (yes, I had to have the bar heat treated after bending to bring it back up to strength). Sean and I also fabricated the custom end links for the rear bar.

Now, could we provide both the front and rear bar is there was a bona fide market for them? You bet. Would they cost more than what most folks would be willing to pay for them? You bet.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Just to clarify things.

1. I did get my 3 piece front bar from Mychailo and yes, Dave Clark did the heavy lifting on it.

2. I fabricated my own 1 piece rear bar, with "blue tip wrench" help from my machinist/welder friend Sean (yes, I had to have the bar heat treated after bending to bring it back up to strength). Sean and I also fabricated the custom end links for the rear bar.

Now, could we provide both the front and rear bar is there was a bona fide market for them? You bet. Would they cost more than what most folks would be willing to pay for them? You bet.

-Bill
If you can provide a video of a balanced front and rear bar showing a respectable improvement on a g-tech, before and after the bars are installed, I will paypal you $1,000.00.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmaclean View Post
If you can provide a video of a balanced front and rear bar showing a respectable improvement on a g-tech, before and after the bars are installed, I will paypal you $1,000.00.
With or without 295/35-17 Hoosiers on all four corners?

Seriously, I'll be doing some instrumented tests once I get my R180 installed sometime in August (have to get some serious NASA work done this month). Stay tuned.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 07-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
With or without 295/35-17 Hoosiers on all four corners?

Seriously, I'll be doing some instrumented tests once I get my R180 installed sometime in August (have to get some serious NASA work done this month). Stay tuned.
-Bill
The tires are fine, what is important is that the stock bars are put back in to demonstrate the improvement of the bars alone, everything else being equal
Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Ok, just heard from our super-helpful board member with the test mule that he has set up and appointment to go to AWR this friday.

We'll just keep taking things as they come, I suppose. But for now, that's good news for me.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmaclean View Post
The tires are fine, what is important is that the stock bars are put back in to demonstrate the improvement of the bars alone, everything else being equal
Not a problem. I'll need to pull the front bar off anyway to use it as a guide is setting up a jig for additional front bars.

-Bill

My Locker
Old 07-29-2008, 12:14 AM

Hey it's me, Dave Clark. Somebody gave me a call saying people were looking for rear sway bars and I should look at the forum so I decided to just reply here. Yes, I did the sway bars, as well as the exhaust and 5 speed conversion on Mychailo's car. Last I talked to Mychailo he had sold his SVX and gone over to the dark side and bought an Evo 8.
Unfortunately, at this time I simply have no time to work on any projects in my shop as I am busy building race cars for SCCA Speed World Challenge for DRC Motorsports. We are racing Lexus IS 350's in the Speed GT class. 500+ HP 4.7 liter V8's, 6 speed sequential Hewland transaxles, all carbon fiber bodywork, etc. Pretty trick stuff. Anyway, sorry I can't help you guys out. I don't even have any time to work on my own stuff right now.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:19 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppositelock View Post
Hey it's me, Dave Clark. Somebody gave me a call saying people were looking for rear sway bars and I should look at the forum so I decided to just reply here. Yes, I did the sway bars, as well as the exhaust and 5 speed conversion on Mychailo's car. Last I talked to Mychailo he had sold his SVX and gone over to the dark side and bought an Evo 8.
Unfortunately, at this time I simply have no time to work on any projects in my shop as I am busy building race cars for SCCA Speed World Challenge for DRC Motorsports. We are racing Lexus IS 350's in the Speed GT class. 500+ HP 4.7 liter V8's, 6 speed sequential Hewland transaxles, all carbon fiber bodywork, etc. Pretty trick stuff. Anyway, sorry I can't help you guys out. I don't even have any time to work on my own stuff right now.
Welcome to the boards. Good luck with the race build. Do you have any other people that have the ability to make sway bars?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-02-2008, 11:34 AM

Hey, you fellows talking about other bars and whatnot, I sure do appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's kind of making "clutter" around here if you don't mind.

VERY GOOD NEWS regarding the AWR bar.

Our boardmember test mule went to AWR yesterday and they measured up and did their thing, and said this would be a VERY easily bar to manufacture.

They also mentioned the fact the the front endlinks were very tiny, and wondered if there would be interest in a beefier set of those as well? Another thing they said was that the rear sway bar bushings were kind of small, and maybe a larger (wider I assume) bushing would be better. I kind of wondered about this, because I assumed that a larger (and better) bushing would be used anyway, since the bar is larger, but I'm just waiting their reply as to what happened.

Here is a portion of the PM from our helpful boardmember...

##############

got back from AWRracing

He said that the rear sway bar really easy to copy and make.

Some this the things he brought up was
1) rear sway bar bushing is kinda small
2) front sway bar links are really long and thin.

I have a parts SVX that I will disassembling the rear sway bar, the bushing mounts and the front and rear sway bar links and I will send it to him.

He said that he could make a larger sway bar bushing as an optional part of the package.

So i think the standard package will include larger rear sway bar end front and rear sway bar links.
The larger bushing option would include a large bushing, a new u bracket and a piece of metal connecting the two sway bar brackets together.

################

Then, here is a bit of my latest correspondence with the folks at AWR.

OK here is what we have. Your friend is going to send down the sway bar, end links and bushings and Tony is going to bend a new bar, do new bushings and I will assemble new end links using all mil-spec hardware (no grade 5 or 8) for this first car. The estimated cost for the kit will be around $175 to $200 but I will have a better feel for that once I have the specifications for the end links.

We are also considering doing similar end link kits for the front bar as the original kits are really thin and will flex under heavy load. Using the same type of hardware we will use on the rear would stiffen up the front bar and also give you some adjustment, what do you think?

So, that is where we stand right now.

I'm going to go ahead and order one of everything for me, and test it out and let you all know what I think and try to make a video of the installation. It will probably be a few weeks til this is all done, but just so you all know, the ball IS rolling.

As always, thanks for your patience, and again, as soon as I know, YOU WILL KNOW!

Hopefully before too long you'll see a "AWR rear swaybar bulk buy" thread.

Peace out!

-nevin

Last edited by Nevin; 08-02-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Is the bar going to be adjustable?

Good news, indeed, either way!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Is the bar going to be adjustable?

Good news, indeed, either way!

I just got word from AWR saying that they were planning on making the endlinks adjustable anyways. I guess that's what they normally assume people will want. So, that would mean front and rear adjustability.

So, I assume that's what you mean by "adjustable?" That's what I would assume, anyway...

Last edited by Nevin; 08-02-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Naw, that's an adjustable left-right thing. Still good to have, but it's not what I mean. When I say "adjustable bar", it means that instead of one hole on each end, it has two or three. When you use the holes closer to the crossbar, the bar acts as if it were of a larger diameter.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Ahhh, I see. I will ask about that in my next email!

Any other suggestions?? Anybody?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

From experience, you'll want at least two mounting holes on the bar - try for ~ one inch apart. The adjustable endlinks will allow you to keep your geometry when you change mounting holes. Great price on the rear bar kit ($175-200), if you can make it happen!
-Bill

My Locker