Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Spring Break means car fix time!

Problem at hand: When the car is cold, it hesitates a lot. I press on the gas and the car does not go smoothly (it also sounds bad). I posted a youtube video of it a while ago, but I'll link to it again: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Efjxpy4DYc

First thing I did when I got on break was replace the coolant temperature sensor. Then, after that I checked the ECU codes and the computer threw 3 codes. The first code was the CTS sensor (obviously). However, the other two have me stumped.

The first code was code 31, for the Throttle Position Sensor. I made a thread about this earlier and I adjusted it to proper spec (.5v). Maybe this code is from previously? I'm pretty sure I cleared the codes after I replaced the sensor. Assuming I did, why would it come back? This sensor was brand new when I put it in.

The second code was 56, for the EGR system. What does this mean? I tried searching for EGR, nothing came up . What exactly does this system do and would it cause the problems noted?

One of the comments on the youtube video was that an O2 sensor could cause this problem as well, however the ECU isn't throwing a code for it. Is that a reasonable guess?

I have a week to work on this stuff so that's why I'm starting now. I can afford most cheap fixes.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Nobody?
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 03-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
I think I might have the same hesitation. It feels like the car just doesn't want to get moving, right? Like around 1700-2200 RPM there's no power and it just won't accelerate unless you step on it a bit. I replaced my TPS, which didn't solve the problem. A little while ago I replaced the alternator, and the mechanic at work unplugged the signal wire clip from the alternator while the car was running. When I left work that day, it was like a new car. Absolutely no hesitation, perfect acceleration, etc. That lasted about a day.

If there's anyone who has an idea I'd also be interested. It's very annoying, and when I let my very attractive friend drive the car because she wants some practise for her driving test, I don't like her saying my car drives like crap.

Edit: I'm not throwing a code for the TPS, but I have gotten intermittent codes for both O2's, which may be caused by leaking oil dripping onto the sensors and plugging the backside.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-20-2008, 05:40 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
If it says EGR you might want to check the egr valve, as well as the vacuum lines to see that there aren't any disconnected or broken. EGR, from my limited knowledge, allows for the recycling of exhaust fuel, to get a more complete burn. Example:

Each time the cylinder approaches Top Dead Center, it does this:

Cycle 1: Combustion
Cycle 2: Exhaust
Cycle 3: Exhaust back in, ignited a second time to burn remaining fuel vapors
Cycle 4: Final exhaust

Thus, the 4 cycle engine!

Apparently, the EGR valve allows for the 3rd cycle to complete properly. The EGR is vacuum controlled, and has a little plunger thing in it, that you can push in and pull out. If there's a vacuum leak, it won't function properly. If the egr valve gasket is bad, it won't function properly. It won't/shouldn't hurt acceleration or fuel economy on a noticeable level, just makes your exhaust dirtier. Hope this guides you in the right direction.

Please note, the above is pure speculation based entirely on limited knowledge and logic to connect point a to point b. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in on this one.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
Each time the cylinder approaches Top Dead Center, it does this:

Cycle 1: Combustion
Cycle 2: Exhaust
Cycle 3: Exhaust back in, ignited a second time to burn remaining fuel vapors
Cycle 4: Final exhaust

Thus, the 4 cycle engine!
Ummm...hate to burst your bubble, but the 4 cycles of an engine are intake, compression, combustion, exhaust.

You were right-ish about the EGR's function though, it allows a certain amount of exhaust gas back into the intake. Exhaust gases, specifically NO2, are fairly inert and won't combust like oxygen. The main purpose of the EGR system is to lower emmisions levels. It actually kills engine performance a bit, because you're drawing in something that the engine can't burn.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Ummm...hate to burst your bubble, but the 4 cycles of an engine are intake, compression, combustion, exhaust.

You were right-ish about the EGR's function though, it allows a certain amount of exhaust gas back into the intake. Exhaust gases, specifically NO2, are fairly inert and won't combust like oxygen. The main purpose of the EGR system is to lower emmisions levels. It actually kills engine performance a bit, because you're drawing in something that the engine can't burn.
He's right

The emmisions level for NOX is reduced by the EGR, which is why if your EGR is malfunctioning, it will usually fail for NOX emmissions

Tom