Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Product and Service Reviews > Service Shop Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Thumbs down Contemporary Chrysler in Milford, NH

Very poor service. Obviously clueless about SVXi.

I brought it in for their advertised "$29.99 inspection!" They proceeded to fail it for "wiper blades streak slightly" and "some play in drivers side front tie-rod". Then it was followed up by "we obviously don't do that here" but I could get it done within 10 days and have them re-inspect it! Oh boy!

This is just as much a rant as a review I suppose. It did legit fail for a "slight rip in outer CV boot", I'll try and patch it with silicone . I already replaced one, I don't have the money to do the other in the 10day limit. Gotta go back to my $50 per inspection guy I guess. At least he always passed it because he knew me and knew I would do the service if he told me it needed something soon.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Duh, they're clueless cuz #1 it's not a Chrysler, and #2 it's one of the most oddball Subarus out there lol take it to a Subaru dealer...

(I'm glad in Oregon we don't have inspections like that... Failing for torn CV boots? sheesh... dumb....)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Here in San Antonio I dont even get out of the car . Headlights, turn signals, brake lights, horn, done. Oh, I did have to get out once, so the lady could put the sticker on my windshield.

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I miss htose texan times. $12.95 for full service inspection + green slip. Now in PA i'm paying well over 80$. It's absurd.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Headed for way off topic, I take my car to Valvoline Instant Oil Change for inspection. Say what you will about "oil swapping butchers"... These guys don't have incentive to find stuff that's "wrong" with your car, cos they don't do a lot of stuff outside of fluids. Got this tip from my ol' man.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
My first inspection at Canadian Tire cost me $80, and came out with a $2300 repair estimate. New pre-cats, O2 sensors, replace one wiper, and re-instal the drivers visor (I had removed it because it droops). I repaired the exhaust for about $350, including the jack, jackstands, and tools and took it to the shop my parents use. Inspection cost more, but the mechanic was a really nice guy to deal with, showed me all the problems himself. I had to replace the rear pads and rotors and bring it back. He gave it a quick look (didn't even remove the wheels) and signed the certificate.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
WHOA THERE!!! You can't pass inspection without sun visors? Is it like that in the US? In PA specifically? I had never even thought of that.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 12-08-2007, 07:28 AM
SVXtreme

I'm glad theres only emmissions tests in Cal, Even though thats still inconvenient.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
WHOA THERE!!! You can't pass inspection without sun visors? Is it like that in the US? In PA specifically? I had never even thought of that.
I don't think it was really needed, the mechanic just felt like quoting me 0.1 hours labour to put it back on. I never put it back and the second inspection never mentioned it.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
I have failed in NH for no front plate once, never had the sun visors thing... I am gunna get a hard time in 2 weeks when i take it in as we now have some dumb law saying if your check engine light is on you fail, well my ECU does not like the new trans so.... lets see how that goes.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I went to get my silver car inspected... I said I am here to get my car inspected.... WHAT????I am here to get my car inspected..... WHAT?????

That was before I added two more mufflers.

BTW if you need an axle in order to pass let me know. I have a full set here in the garage.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-13-2007, 08:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
BTW if you need an axle in order to pass let me know. I have a full set here in the garage.
I passed the next day, just took it ot my usual guy. He said I have to do the CV when I get around to it...

Do you really? I do need one, eventually... I'm looking to buy one after the holidays (don't have the $$ for it before with all the X-mas gift buying)

What would you be looking to get for it? Is it new or used? I don't buy those kinds of things used, because you're replacing a broken part with one that might break soon - not really worth the hassle to save a little money, might as well get new.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Szalkerous
Try Goodyear in Nashua!

I just went through the same deal.

I had to replace some dryrot tires, and had the Goodyear center on Main St of Nashua do it for me. They do small repairs there as well.

While I was there, I asked the mechanic to do an inspect. Even with a small exhaust clamp leak and the same tear in the outer boot, he passed me. I think he knew I wasn't naive, and had full intentions of getting all my repairs done. I just had no sticker on the car, and needed it for the snow...

Stand up folks there. I don't normally touch anyplace that doesn't say "Subaru" on the door, (or "Chevrolet" for my Z28)... but I must admit, they have a really good rep with the local folks, and were honest, and all ASE certified.

Might want to give them a shot.

-Sz
Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Szalkerous
Man I should read my posts clearly.... saw you're all set!

-Sz
Old 12-16-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szalkerous View Post
Man I should read my posts clearly.... saw you're all set!

-Sz
I am, but I'll keep them in mind for next year!

Aaand I'm starting to poke around for someplace to do a 5spd swap come summer time... so maybe I'll check them out.

Though I think I'll probably be going with YT for the swap... Don't tell him yet though!