Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-07-2007, 06:46 AM

Part number request: AC compressor clutch assy.

Okay, so I'm frustrated with trying to track this down at subaruparts.com. Anyone happen to have this info? Thanks in advance.

dcb
Old 09-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
No separate listing?

Darren, from what I see there is not a separate part number for that magnetic clutch.

They list two compressors. '92 is 73011PA000, and '93-97 is 73011PA011.

No doubt you already know this?

Nowhere in the service manual I have ['92] does it describe separating the clutch from the compressor body.

No diagnostic routine suggests replacing the magnetic clutch.

I can only assume they meant the compressor and clutch to be replaced as a unit.

Their description of the Magnet Clutch, as they call it, is as follows:
(5) Magnet Clutch
The magnet clutch serve to transmit engine power to the compressor unit. It is built into the compressor shaft. When current flow through the magnet clutch coil the drive plate is attracted so that the pulley and compressor shaft rotate as a unit. When the compressor is not in use, the pulley alone rotates freely.

Quoted verbatim, so don't diss me for the spelling/grammar The term "built into" would seem to suggest it does not come off.

Did you manage to get the clutch off? Looks like your best approach is to look for a breaker compressor unit.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-10-2007, 05:58 AM

Thank you, Joe.

The clutch hasn't been removed. Recently it began to whine and I let my mechanic have a listen Thursday and he suggested replacing just the clutch assembly as a means to save a few bucks, versus replacing the entire compressor, which is otherwise working well.

Subaruparts.com shows the '92 compressor for a whopping $652.50 plus shipping, and the '93-97 unit @ $468.75. (Note to the good folks at Subaruparts.com: If an item appears in the shopping cart as a "compressor," why isn't it revealed by a search of that word?) So, the $165.75 question is, will the '93-97 compressor work on a '92?

Another on-line Subaru parts purveyor lists the '92 compressor for $533.80. Something called 1Airconditioning.com lists a reman unit in-stock ("ships today") with a 1-year warranty and no core charge for $315, and this outlet specifically states that the clutch is included as a unit.

dcb
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Thank you, Joe.

The clutch hasn't been removed. Recently it began to whine and I let my mechanic have a listen Thursday and he suggested replacing just the clutch assembly as a means to save a few bucks, versus replacing the entire compressor, which is otherwise working well.

Subaruparts.com shows the '92 compressor for a whopping $652.50 plus shipping, and the '93-97 unit @ $468.75. (Note to the good folks at Subaruparts.com: If an item appears in the shopping cart as a "compressor," why isn't it revealed by a search of that word?) So, the $165.75 question is, will the '93-97 compressor work on a '92?

Another on-line Subaru parts purveyor lists the '92 compressor for $533.80. Something called 1Airconditioning.com lists a reman unit in-stock ("ships today") with a 1-year warranty and no core charge for $315, and this outlet specifically states that the clutch is included as a unit.

dcb
I'm wondering if the difference [92 -93] relates to the change to R134a?

So far as I know the principal differences in the hardware for the change was that all connectors were a different size. By connectors I mean the ports where the system is pressurised, topped up and serviced.

To me, I would expect the 93-97 pump [should I call that a compressor?] to work, unless there is a port or connector that will not mate up to your old pipe network. Aircon mechanics should be able to confirm this in a second if they know their job.

For my money I would be taking the reman unit from 1Aircon. Just get them to confirm it will connect up.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 09-10-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
For my money I would be taking the reman unit from 1Aircon. Just get them to confirm it will connect up.

Joe
I'm definitely leaning in that direction. FWIW, this outfit shows the same item number for 1992 and '93. And that $315 is the total, with no extra charge for UPS ground shipping. That's going to be hard to beat. I checked a couple of local parts franchises and struck-out both times. No hits in their systems.

I also wondered about R134 being the difference between the Subaru parts number listings. This car was converted to run 134 in late 2003 and has performed flawlessly. The noise it's making is hardly alarming; just enough to warrant attention. Guess it could seize-up tomorrow, or never.

Thanks again for the input.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 09-10-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I'm definitely leaning in that direction. FWIW, this outfit shows the same item number for 1992 and '93. And that $315 is the total, with no extra charge for UPS ground shipping. That's going to be hard to beat. I checked a couple of local parts franchises and struck-out both times. No hits in their systems.

I also wondered about R134 being the difference between the Subaru parts number listings. This car was converted to run 134 in late 2003 and has performed flawlessly. The noise it's making is hardly alarming; just enough to warrant attention. Guess it could seize-up tomorrow, or never.

Thanks again for the input.

dcb
You are welcome, glad to help.

Just for sport, if you are left with the old unit after the deal, it would be interesting to drop it down to your local alternator/motor rewind place. The whine you mention may be the front bearing. If they can change the bearing for you, then you have a good spare compressor for the second car.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl