Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 10:29 AM

To Snow or Not To Snow? That is my question.

Winter is fast approaching, and I've been debating on whether or not to get snow tires for the SVX. I *know* I'll be gettign snows for the wife's Acura 3.2 TL (FWD) - but I'm wondering if I should just get a good set of All-Seasons for the SVX, as it'll need them fairly soon (6 months or so) ANYWAY. I can get Yokohama AVID V4S at $85 a pop, which isn't bad, and they seem to get decent snow ratings.

We seem to get a decent amount of snow here (Pocono Mountains), so I'm wondering whether or not I can get away with a good all-season tire and AWD here.

Thoughts from the snow-bound members here?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:21 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
All season tires work well on my Legacy. I didn't ever come across a time last year when my tires couldn't handle the snow (I was out in 8 inches already...it was fun minus the stopping part). I don't know how much you guys up there get different from us down here...but I think with a good set of all seasons, you'll be okay.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-02-2005, 11:24 AM
SVXist Pig

Nokian WR.

It's the official higher-performance snow tire of Vermont. They are commonplace on BMW's, Audi's etc., they are severe service rated for full winter capability, yet they are H and V rated for year-round use at elevated speeds.

They have a 50,000 mile tread warranty as well. They are not cheap though. Figure over $100 each or more. 205/55-16 should be cheaper than 225/50-16 and is within a few hundredths of an inch in rolling diameter.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:50 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I drive my SVX with the Yokohama AVID V4S. I bought them at Tirerack.com for 80 dollars each. So far, so good.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Without a doubt get winter tires!!

They don't have to be the best or most expensive ones just as long as they are winter tires.

I picked up a set of Dunlop Graspics for CAD$350 (about USD$300) and they are awesome when compared to my all-seasons.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I've had my SVX in 20 inches of the white stuff on Yoko A540s and it handled well predictable. I knew I'd be fine as no one else was on the road but I'd say get 'em. The SVX has too much power compared to a NA Legacy or Impreza and the tires are kinda fat too. You can grunt it through most things but you'll get a lot of spin and rear end sliding. Get yourself some 205s or 215s with a decent snow tread and you'll be much happier. Buy some old stock rims and you'll never have to worry about mounting and all either. I actually just picked some nice cheap snows for my XT6 for about $170 or so for 4. That thing being fwd and quite torquy can actually get stuck in a parking space without a problem and since I no longer have a BRAT (RWD F250 replaced it) and my SVX doesn't come out in the winter now it'll be my main mode of winter trans.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
I drive my SVX with the Yokohama AVID V4S. I bought them at Tirerack.com for 80 dollars each. So far, so good.

Dumb question of the day, but...did you have them last winter?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:37 AM
blah blah, blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz541

Nokian WR.

It's the official higher-performance snow tire of Vermont. They are commonplace on BMW's, Audi's etc., they are severe service rated for full winter capability, yet they are H and V rated for year-round use at elevated speeds.

They have a 50,000 mile tread warranty as well. They are not cheap though. Figure over $100 each or more. 205/55-16 should be cheaper than 225/50-16 and is within a few hundredths of an inch in rolling diameter.
I have these tires for winter. I live in alaska and it does snow a bit up here. All i can say about these is, awsome. Great traction. Well, previous owner put these on the car, so i dont know how much she paid. But they are expensive.
Mods (in order of install)- K&N air filter, ECUtune stage 1v.4, Alternator mod, removed intake resonator, B&M Supercooler, Window Tint, JDM Emblem, Hid Kit 5000K.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:51 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I had no problem here in the poconos during the winter months. I commute 200 miles a day, even in the winter storms. Just remember, your driving habits will differ during the winter. If you want to run through the snow with ease and can afford extra tires and rims (unless you think of switching tires on the same rims) snow tires are a good investment. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:09 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I have Yokohama avid V4's.... They are an alright tire... nothing too fancy.

They were really quiet in the beginning but now as they are wearing they are more noisy, and wet traction is getting noticeably worse (there's still plenty of tread on them)

My next tires are definitely going to be a different brand, although they arent terrible tires. They do get the job done.
2012 Camry V6 SE