Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 08-02-2005, 04:06 PM
KCROGUEDOG

Somebody Get This Man A Doctor!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I am just fine... My mother has been a nurse for years and I have learned a lot about concussions since I have had a few. Like I mentioned earlier, I have a hard head Anyway.... yes I did get the nubs in by using the extra hex head bolt they give you(it is longer for a reason). I also don't see how you think they are a snug fit in the stock housings... Mine were pretty loose, maybe u crimped the housing when you had them in the vice. I also have a question of what to do with the extra hardware sent with the inserts. I have 4 cup like items and washers... I dunno where they go and what they do, they are not even shown in the instructions, Koni should have done a better job writing them up, maybe in the form of words, not pictures . Does anyone know if Porter actually came public with his set of instructions?? If so please post them here. thanks for the concern guys. Tom(svxfiles) even called me to make sure I was OK. I really appreciate it. Sorry i didn't get back sooner, I was at a barbacue and then I was riding Jet-skis.

The ground Controls were shipped out yesterday so if I am lucky, they will be here friday or monday if any later.

Tom
Old 08-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Tom,
check with Todd ("wawazat?") - he's done a couple of sets of Konis and a Koni Guru!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Parent

Woha, glad you're ok after that knock on the noggin' Tom.

We're gonna have to meet up, and check out each others rides. Chances are good I won't be able to get that SVX I checked out the other day, and I'm a bit bummed about it. When I find out for sure I'll post the info so that another enthusiast will get a shot at it. But I'd love to go for a ride in your car once you get the suspension dailed in. I love a good sporting ride.

Peace
Old 08-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Maniac modifier

sounds good. Why don't you try to make it down to the Atco meet and you can check out Jesse's(subafreak) Ride too. Don't be too surpised at how my car is presented. As many people know, cosmetics come last for me

Tom
Old 08-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Glad you're in the land of the livin' Tom! Take care of yourself bud!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Superbeast

Christ man your lucky you didn't lose and eye or a testical or something, some of those spring compressors should be illegall That is the good thing about the GC thoe, no tension.

Yeah, don't thoes instructions suck? I love the pics with question marks on them, like they don't even know what it's a picture of.

Sounds like your on the right track with the install thoe. I really can't remember what I used for spacers and cups and stuff, I think I didn't even get most of that extra crap with my struts, like Porter already weeded them out for me. Just use your intuition and do what seems right.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Maniac modifier

yeah, my intuition sucks especially with odd ball parts like these. I know what washres are used for and what they do, but what the hell do these little cups do? do they serve some kind of special purpose that NASA has aproved or am I just makingmyslef look like an idiot?

Tom
Old 08-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
yeah, my intuition sucks especially with odd ball parts like these. I know what washres are used for and what they do, but what the hell do these little cups do? do they serve some kind of special purpose that NASA has aproved or am I just makingmyslef look like an idiot?

Tom

Yeah I think I remeber people mentioning cups and dust shileds and other wierd crap that I never even had in my set. I think all I needed was the strut inserts the allen bolts, the rubber booty that seals the insert to the tub, and the top mount, I later installed the washers to get rid of the sqeek in the top of the mount. I think thats all you need.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Maniac modifier

sounds good to me!! Now I can reassemble nicely without having a hard on about cups and stuff

Tom
Old 08-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
sounds good. Why don't you try to make it down to the Atco meet and you can check out Jesse's(subafreak) Ride too. Don't be too surpised at how my car is presented. As many people know, cosmetics come last for me

Tom
Hey Tom,
I traded a note about this with Jesse(subafreak) also, but the annual Z car national meet (ZCON) is in Syracuse from 8/15 - 8/19, I'm headding up there on the 14th and back on the 20th when I have to get my dad @ Kennedy Airport so I'm booked for that week. I'll be keeping an eye out here to see what's happening in the future. FWIW, I'll be taking my car out on Watkins Glenn for hot laps on Thursday, and on Friday I'll be Autocrossing up there, I'm psyched

All the Best, Barry

Last edited by Barry'Z (NJ); 08-03-2005 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:58 AM
KCROGUEDOG

att about the cup washers that look like thin caps. u do not need them with the gcs. they stop the top perch cap from moving if installed on the shaft of the system. the gc cap is spose to move freely. the gcs is a linear system that can move and set into place when lifted adjusted and dropped to ground. i called gc on this and dont use them. and vicing my tubes i crimped them at the lower thicker part trying to avoid all warping. maybe it has to do with the 97 model ???? who knows.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Maniac modifier

97's had the same suspension system as 92's. The only things that changed over the years were... Trans upgrades... grille.... leather options... and tire size

Tom
Old 08-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Maniac modifier

ok, got the rears out of the car. Installed the one rear strut I have and I am taking a break before cutting the other. I need to wait until i get my other one from classic garage as they are waiting for the old one to get there before they ship the new one out to me. I am on hold for Ground Control as I forgot to ask for a tracking # for my coilovers. All going well I should be able to get the alignment done on tues and be finished. I wish I had all the parts in front of me now so I could just finish. I don't see this job being more than a 5 hour project but waiting on parts sux a lot

Tom

P.S. no physical injuries today.... at least not yet. and good call from David on using a large Pipe cutter. It makes such a nice even cut and with a simple file, You can take down the lip it makes inside the housing. The job is so uch easier this way than using a sawzall

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 08-03-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Maniac modifier

Ok, just got the tracking # from ground control and it looks like they will be here on Monday. Too bad I could not get them here by friday but oh well. Looks like I will be playing the waiting game. Monday night after work I will finish the install and tuesday after my softball game(yeah we are #1 and kickin butt in the playoffs so far) I will go get the alignment done. Since I will have nothing to do on the car tomorrow I will bring my wheels over to the shop and have them mount and balance them for me so they are ready as well. This way I am only sitting around waiting for an alignment on tues

Tom