Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 06-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
Turbo Idea, could it work?

Alright, I know a good amount about turbos, I know that a smaller turbo will spool up faster and make more power off the line, and a large one makes a ton more power but takes alot longer to spool up to speed. With that in mind, if you had both turbos forcing the air into the same intake tube theoretically couldn't you run a small turbo on one bank and a large one on the other bank of our motor? I have searched alot about this because I am very intrieged by my idea, however, if I keep teh SVX and turbo it I don't want to F' it up to bad where it can't be fixed. So does anyone wanna give some input on my idea, thoughts, concerns, ideas, and suggestions are all welcome, give me your honest opinion here.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Mr Soob

It's been explored - there is no room to do it.

However the best way is sequential, instead of seperating them and having miles of exhaust and return tubing everywhere.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff
It's been explored - there is no room to do it.

However the best way is sequential, instead of seperating them and having miles of exhaust and return tubing everywhere.
Yeah major hack job if it were to be done even as stated above.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 06-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
so go with a single then? what size should I go with do you think, small for low end kick? But it could work if you had more room in the motor bay?
Old 06-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
this is already done on most inline turbo cars. Bi-turbo is the expression used to describe it. Twin turbo is when a car has 2 turbos that are the same size on each bank, bi-turbo is when an inline car has two turbos, one smaller that the other. The small one usually comes first int he exhaust system to spool quickly for low end and the larger one feeds off the excess exhaust to make power for top end. Very simple concept but not useful to a stock SVX motor. Compression spools a turbo but also keeps engine from running too much boost. it is a double edge sword for most. The ideal turbo for an svx is a larger one. Since it is running off 6 cyclinders worth of 10to1 compression it will spool fairly quickly and still provide a good top end. I am not too familiar with turbos or what they can do for what cars, i am a supercharger/ N/A kinda guy. More people have better info than me but this is what I know about the subject

Tom
Old 06-26-2005, 10:42 PM

would be very cool if could be done easily. but it can't. as for room, they have already proven that you can mount a turbo behind the rear axle on a ls1 camaro and still gain 125 hp at the wheels. it does lose some of it's heat traveling that far. single turbo would be the way to go. as for a size you have to figure out exactly what you want to do with the car. superchargers suck im j/k. but i'll never go that way again.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
Since it is running off 6 cyclinders worth of 10to1 compression it will spool fairly quickly and still provide a good top end. I am not too familiar with turbos or what they can do for what cars, i am a supercharger/ N/A kinda guy. More people have better info than me but this is what I know about the subject

Tom
Yep - you are right. There is loads of free exhaust with the car to play with, so bigger is better.

With single turbochargers, you have two choices:

Small, kicks in lower.
Has to spin freakishly fast at high end, less efficient at high revs, less top end gain. As it boosts all the time, fuel economy is lessened.

Large, kicks in later
More efficient at higher revs, higher top end. Lags somewhat. Better fuel economy as it does not come onto boost unless you bring the revs on.

If you are going for sequential turbos (you have stuff all chance in the SVX, though), you get one of each, and the bad points on each are lessened.
If you have a "one each side" style twin turbo (again, no chance in the SVX), then you have to choose the size - although they will usuallly naturally be smaller.

But with these bigger displacement engines, the supercharger is a much nicer option. It's easier to put together, you don't have a rollercoaster of exhaust plumbing, and it is easier to reverse the whole thing and take it out, I'd guess.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 06-27-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieingSVX
would be very cool if could be done easily. but it can't. as for room, they have already proven that you can mount a turbo behind the rear axle on a ls1 camaro and still gain 125 hp at the wheels. it does lose some of it's heat traveling that far. single turbo would be the way to go. as for a size you have to figure out exactly what you want to do with the car. superchargers suck im j/k. but i'll never go that way again.

That is a small side pet project of mine.... I'm going on a small vacation next week to visit the wife's family in the Baltimore, MA ; Southern, PS area. While I'm up there next week im having a turbo shop make a custom turbo that I will be using on a remote mount on my svx some time in the future (just gonna by a few parts a month until I've got it all squared away) I'm doing it for the same reason the F-body guys are... cramped engine, cheaper and works just as good... ( and it sounds like a f'n jet engine when the get goin) I'll prolly post some pictures of the turbo when I get back to texas along w/ the specs and sizing info....
-ECU Stage 1 Chip *
-Alluminum Drive Pulley *
-Stage 1 Shift Kit
-Small Car Clear Lenses and Corners
-1997 SVX Grill
-17" X 7" Enkei Shoguns
*Thanks Dayle! (SVX Motorsports)

1987 Pontiac Formula 350
-Enough (Once I put it back together again)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: