How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-14-2004, 06:35 PM
TorG0d

searching for 2nd on upshift

Today I was attempting to pass an Audi on the freeway doing about 75 or so. Instead of the transmission shifting, the RPMs climbed to redline and the car never found a gear until I let up off the gas. This rarely happens, maybe 4 times since I've had the car (1 time on old tranny, 3 times on new). What could be causing this? TCU malfunction? Something internal to the tranny? It seems to me that the car is looking to shift into 2nd as max speed for that gear is around 80mph.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:11 PM
ilsegretosvx

its the brake band and its on its way bye, bye. Mine just did the same thing 2 weeks ago and then nothing. Be very carefull and get AAA
Old 11-14-2004, 10:53 PM
TorG0d

Huh. This transmission has less than 15k on it . . . is it internal to the tranny or what?
Old 11-15-2004, 02:26 PM

yes it's internal, and unless it was badly adjusted on the rebuild, it has gone south regardless of the mileage.

at this point I would search for band adjustment, and while it's a pain, I would do it just to see if the tranmsission can be salvaged. You'll need a 7mm and 17mm wrench - and it helps if you sideline as a contortionist.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: searching for 2nd on upshift

Quote:
Originally posted by TorG0d
Today I was attempting to pass an Audi on the freeway doing about 75 or so. Instead of the transmission shifting, the RPMs climbed to redline and the car never found a gear until I let up off the gas. This rarely happens, maybe 4 times since I've had the car (1 time on old tranny, 3 times on new). What could be causing this? TCU malfunction? Something internal to the tranny? It seems to me that the car is looking to shift into 2nd as max speed for that gear is around 80mph.
Are you sure that it is 2nd gear that the box is kicking back to?

At 75 mph in 4th, I would think it would be 3rd gear that it would go back to. If it is 3rd, then it would be the high clutch that is slipping.

Was the cooler cleaned out when the box was replaced?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: searching for 2nd on upshift

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

Are you sure that it is 2nd gear that the box is kicking back to?

At 75 mph in 4th, I would think it would be 3rd gear that it would go back to. If it is 3rd, then it would be the high clutch that is slipping.

Was the cooler cleaned out when the box was replaced?

Harvey.
I agree with Harry - I doubt that it's shifting to 2nd. It sounds to me like it's just slipping. Keep it from doing this as little as possible and take it to somebody. But it sounds like your high clutch.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-15-2004, 08:50 PM
TorG0d

At least it's still under warranty . . . I think. I'll have to find the paperwork. And it wasn't a rebuild, it was a new tranny imported directly from Subaru in Japan . . . cost my warranty company around $4500 . . . Think I'll change the fluid and go from there. I can't afford ANYTHING right now, and I have some DexronIII/MerconII lying around . . . Thanks for the advice, but I have no other running vehicle and have to commute 50 miles a day.