Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 07:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Htownsvx
Unhappy belt problem i think

i when out to start my are to day and when i started it up the car sound like a airconpresor purging the air out and at the same time it has the squel like a warn timing beld

i let it war up alittle bup the sound just when down from really really loud to this is just pissy me off low tone
Old 11-09-2004, 09:30 AM
TorG0d

Could be your PS squealing . . . check the fluid in that, just remember to use ATF and not PS fluid. Also, don't try to change out your timing belt unless you are supremely confident in what you are doing. I'd reccomend having a shop do it for around $100 US.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:23 PM

no it not the power steering that is fine , it happens intermittently, thanks
Old 11-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Peach

have a belt

Quote:
Originally posted by TorG0d
Could be your PS squealing . . . check the fluid in that, just remember to use ATF and not PS fluid. Also, don't try to change out your timing belt unless you are supremely confident in what you are doing. I'd reccomend having a shop do it for around $100 US.
The "T" belt itself is 100 bucks, plus whatever labor.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:06 PM

i still dont know what it is it only seem to do it when the car is cold in the morning. it did it again this morning. so i let it warm for about 10 min and again the sound was still just not as loud. now the car is driving fine there is no power loss when im driving it. but when i start it in the day time or after work it is fine.

now when i open the hood and listen it sound like it is coming from my right side of the engine.

and i do have a bad cat on the right hand side that make this nasty sound when i start it and then i give it anything but light gas so i really dont know what im looking for i think it might be the exhaust but i just dont know
Old 11-11-2004, 09:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Do worn timing belts 'squeal?' The squealing noise we associate with worn or loose accessory belts is caused by slippage between the belt and pulleys. This can't happen with a timing belt - it's notched. I guess it could happen between the water pump and the timing belt, because that device is driven by the flat side of the belt. But you'd have far more problems if that were the case.

I don't think it's accurate to describe the sound as 'like a worn timing belt.'

This sounds a lot like a bad power steering reservoir o-ring. There's an o-ring in between the pump and its reservoir, and once this o-ring gets worn out and compressed, it doesn't create a fantastic seal any more and causes the pump to bog sometimes. Your symptoms sound exactly like my car's before I changed the o-ring.

It's very easy to do and requires few tools. We have a how-to in the how-to folder, a link for which is at the top of this page.

Edit: Whoah, hey, I was wrong. I thought for sure we had a how-to on the power steering o-ring. For crying out loud, that's something we should hanve, man! It's a very common failure on the car!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 11-11-2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Sure we have a how-to. I have it on my site:

http://svx-iw.com

click Troubleshooting->Steering System and Cable->Power Steering O-Ring Replacement
Old 11-13-2004, 07:24 PM

sqealing sound

Yes, I printed out the info on the o-ring replacement so I could have it at the car and it was a fairly easy job. I used a spray bottle cap to get most of the fluid out. An o-ring assortment kit can be had at most auto parts stores. Also, I had to replace my alternator a while back and the belt was sqealing until I had the right amount of tension on it. There's a how-to on belt adjustment (alternator) as well with pictures. Good Luck.

Mike