Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 09-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Jimsbaby

friday?

IS IT FRIDAY YET??? IS IT??? IS IT????i dont even have a motor in my car but im excited....maybe this is easier with teh motor pulled looks good though man good thing u stuck with it and got it done!

Jim (waiting as patient as possible)
Old 09-14-2004, 04:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Quote:
Originally posted by sperry
<-- new here, so bare with me if I ask questions I should know the answer to...

I'm really interested in a turbo (well twin turbo actually) in a year or two. What sort of supporting mods do you have?

Fuel delivery: pump and injectors?

Engine managment: can you piggy-back the ECU or did you go stand-alone?

Transmission: what's putting all that power and torque to the wheels?

Exhaust: I assume it's a 3-2-1 header setup to an up pipe, then a 2.5" or 3" turbo back?

Intercooler: is that all custom fabbed, or does someone make a kit?

Turbo: what turbo are you using, how much boost?

Motor: did you lower the compression before going FI?

...and most importantly: how does it drive!!? How's the lag? Got it on a dyno yet?

Anyway... that setup looks pretty sweet. I agree that the FMIC looks terrific! I didn't think you could get one down in that bumper, but you're right, it looks great!
I can't remember most of SVXtasy's details, but I recall it being a T03/04 turbo, FMIC not specific to the SVX, 6-7 psi of boost, I THOUGHT it was still stock exhaust manifolds but not positive anymore. Stock compression. I believe WRX 5 speed. He has that "AIC" for extra fuel delivery... still same pump (I think) with 2 additional injectors kicking in when manifold pressure gets up to the point where more fuel (than the stock injectors can supply) is needed.

I'm wondering how that FMIC would look behind "Stevebsys'" front bumper cover... big reason I bought one from him.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 09-14-2004, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8

I can't remember most of SVXtasy's details, but I recall it being a T03/04 turbo, FMIC not specific to the SVX, 6-7 psi of boost, I THOUGHT it was still stock exhaust manifolds but not positive anymore. Stock compression. I believe WRX 5 speed. He has that "AIC" for extra fuel delivery... still same pump (I think) with 2 additional injectors kicking in when manifold pressure gets up to the point where more fuel (than the stock injectors can supply) is needed.

I'm wondering how that FMIC would look behind "Stevebsys'" front bumper cover... big reason I bought one from him.
The shifter boot and knob look like there from a 1 gen legacy. I wouldent use those unless they came with the donor car or trannie becasue at least in my opion there kind of ugly. Soi think it might be a 1 gen legacy trannie. Cable operqted.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Turbo Member

Send a message via AIM to SVXtasy
Hi
A few questions answered. I designed this turbo setup based on systems that have been working very well for other turbocharged Subaru’s. An additional injector controller for fuel a front mount intercooler, a chip for timing. I will not be able to get the car to a dyno any time soon because we have NO AWD dynos in NM. Yes the shift boot is ugly and so is the knob I have been meaning to replace it but I have been spending so much $ on performance so I don’t have any left for looks. I am using the stock headers going to an up-pipe so it would be 6-2-1. And yes the exhaust is a full 3" form the turbo back. If anybody wants to see the car just PM me and I will give you my cell phone number. We have a few people coming form NASIOC to see the first run of the car on Friday. We are going to compare how fast it is to an STi. If it was able to keep up with an STi I would be so happy.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtasy
If it was able to keep up with an STi I would be so happy.
So would I!!! That would be awesome...

Becareful dipping into the turbo too much on your first time out Friday.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-14-2004, 02:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
That would be a fantastic feeling to keep up with an STi! I second that motion for careful, though. That would suck to have something blow right away.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 09-14-2004, 02:46 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Send a message via AIM to EddieSVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtasy
Hi
A few questions answered. I designed this turbo setup based on systems that have been working very well for other turbocharged Subaru’s. An additional injector controller for fuel a front mount intercooler, a chip for timing. I will not be able to get the car to a dyno any time soon because we have NO AWD dynos in NM. Yes the shift boot is ugly and so is the knob I have been meaning to replace it but I have been spending so much $ on performance so I don’t have any left for looks. I am using the stock headers going to an up-pipe so it would be 6-2-1. And yes the exhaust is a full 3" form the turbo back. If anybody wants to see the car just PM me and I will give you my cell phone number. We have a few people coming form NASIOC to see the first run of the car on Friday. We are going to compare how fast it is to an STi. If it was able to keep up with an STi I would be so happy.
You're an evil man... Teasing us and letting us suffer for almost a whole week.

Where is Superman when you need him? He can make the World globe spin faster so Friday can be here.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
'01 Audi S4 (2.7L Twin Turbo - 6MT)
Old 09-14-2004, 02:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatrickB
i hope a stand alone is in your future. adding injectors is a band aid to bad engine management imo. looking good.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:08 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
What is NASIOC? I want to go and watch on Friday!

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 09-14-2004, 05:15 PM

I was just reading this post and it appear to be some hating going on,this guy has worked his ass off to turbocharged his svx with little or no aftermarket help and all patrick has to say is he has the extra injectors as a bandaid,wow.I take my hat off to the guy and I'm a betting person,the haters out there haven't seen a 14 second timeslip with their svx.People think the svx is a rice rocket you use what works and what you can afford.I'm not mad I 'm confused on how people will advise someone with a much faster car on how it should be setup.I ran 13.2 on slicks and 13.8 on street tires and I don't bash no one else,AND I KNOW MY FWD DRIVE SVX CAN RUN WITH THE STI.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:41 PM

ok man. if you think i am hating thats your problem i think its cool as hell I just personally think it needs a stand alone. adding injectors messing with fuel pressure etc is a band aid to no fuel management. sometimes u got to do what you got to do. a car can't very well be 'tuned' if there is nothing to tune it with. sick of you taking pop shots at me. I know more about tuning in my pinky then you ever will. let me know when u tuned a turbo car or ran a 11 second or when u have even used a stand alone or any other piggy back system. I think the work he has done is great. i give it to him. I am sure that one day he plans to upgrade engine management ? i think adding injectors and uping fuel pressure is a band aid i already told u that though you act like your so awesome with a 13.2 WOOPED DID DO DAH buddy.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:05 PM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
Come on people, this is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not argue and bicker about who ran what and who tunes how. Let's just celebrate this new addition to the very few turbo SVXs out there.

Besides I got you all beat, I can go 0-60 in under 9.5.

lol, lighten up guys.

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 09-14-2004, 06:19 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Send a message via AIM to EddieSVX
Quote:
Originally posted by poweredx2
I was just reading this post and it appear to be some hating going on,this guy has worked his ass off to turbocharged his svx with little or no aftermarket help and all patrick has to say is he has the extra injectors as a bandaid,wow.I take my hat off to the guy and I'm a betting person,the haters out there haven't seen a 14 second timeslip with their svx.People think the svx is a rice rocket you use what works and what you can afford.I'm not mad I 'm confused on how people will advise someone with a much faster car on how it should be setup.I ran 13.2 on slicks and 13.8 on street tires and I don't bash no one else,AND I KNOW MY FWD DRIVE SVX CAN RUN WITH THE STI.
I don't personally consider what Patrick said to be hating in any way. I think this setup is awesome, and I can't wait to see dyno/track numbers, but I also hope he upgrades his stock injectors and gets a good engine management or ECU replacement to make good use of the upgraded injectors. It would be the better long-term option.

I still think his setup is quite impressive. I particulalry liked the FMIC and how well it fits in its location. The piping work was almost a work of art, considering how little space there is in our engine bays.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
'01 Audi S4 (2.7L Twin Turbo - 6MT)
Old 09-14-2004, 07:05 PM

No I'm not taking popshots but you don't understand that it isn't as easy as you make it sound to get and tune a stand alone for the svx.Speaking of my times with my svx I think its something great because of the simply fact that it was done with very little aftermarket help,if I could afford to get a stand alone system I would,and I said before that you did speak about some very good nos setups but having blown one engine I pretty much knew what I had to work on to make it work this time around.I'm also planning on running and extra injector for a 150 shot in the very near future.Yes longassname setup is perfect but I sprayed 150 for three months before breaking a rod so I think our knock sensors are up to the task.Maybe I was a little rough but don't take it the wrong way.And yes I had a 91 camaro with a 94 engine tranny and rearend and it ran 11.82 at 121 and it was built over a seven month period but I wanted that red slow svx so I sold that car.I just wanted a car that was hard to speed up,now I'm looking for something else.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:16 PM

well i guess i got a little defensive. i just want to help ppl. I am not saying what he is doing won't work. I do understand what it will take to run a stand alone on a SVX i helped a friend tune a haltech on a miata. he had the first ever haltech on a miata at the time. starting from scratch etc. but really u get the sensors hooked up turn it over and go from there. I know so little about the svx ECU. I am not even sure if the stock one runs closed loop. I assume it does and thats why we can't run a piggy system.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: