SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by LokiDad

What are the chances of that?
Oh I guess that would about a gazzellion to one. Hey you got a gazzellion-visor.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Oh I guess that would about a gazzellion to one. Hey you got a gazzellion-visor.
OK, you've convinced me. I'm gonna go and buy a lottery ticket.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Angry

Must be nice to have a "real HARDWARE store"!!! About all we have here in the Sac area are HomeDebox, Ace, TrueValue and Lowe's. I looked high and low and darned if I can find those inserts anywhere! I looked all over the net too! Finally called Hillman's home office looking for a listing of retailers, was referred to the Cinci office that handles such things, actually got a Business name in Sac, called and was told "NAH, we don't carry anything like that!!"
Anyone out there willing to ship me a couple?? I'd be in your debt, well, at least as long as the sun shines!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 07-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Guard-TL-
OMG!!!!!!!!!! YOU POST THIS AFTER I RIPED MY OFF!!!! O_O!!!!! >_<!!!!!!.....ah oh....... bought the car, passenger visor thing missing, driving to friends house later that night, visor keeps going down........5 min later...... RIP!!!!!!!!! BANG!!!!!! out the window it goes........ >_>
nice fix BTW
o_o'''

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I'll see if I can find them. If I can, I will get back to you for the address and other info.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 07-22-2004, 06:08 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Smile

Thank you Earl! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 07-23-2004, 02:47 PM
1st one red, 2nd one black

that visor thing....

Quote:
Originally posted by LokiDad

Laugh away. You'll find that your headliner will start pulling away from the backing with a velcro fix. Each time you open and close it, it pulls on the headliner and eventually separates it.

How do I know? That's exactly how the previous owner of the car fixed it, and I wish he/she hadn't taken that shortcut. The headliner has 2 ~ 3" worth of separation from the backing. . . right where the velcro was.

Hey, you think I like to sew?
I gotta say LokiDad, that is the most elegant fix I have ever seen. I tip my hat to you. I ripped my first drooper apart to see what failed, and when the second visor started going I could not for the life of me figure out how to fix is simply and cheaply. So I caved and put a new visor on my Christmas list year.
...and the pics, holy buckets dude, your outstanding!!!!!

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:45 PM
My car/My project: red '96 LSi

Seeking Hillman inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiDad
Thanks for the kind comments. I was sure thrilled when the brass insert happened to be the right diameter. What are the chances of that? But sometimes if you go to a hardware store and fiddle around, you get lucky.
LokiDad, I'd like to share some of your luck. I found Hillman inserts (brass wood inserts) at Lowe's; one was large enough. It was threaded for a 3/8" bolt and cost $1.50. Unfortunately, when I tried it out it wasn't a "deluxe fit" on my visor; it spun loosely on the post.

None of the Hillman inserts was numbered anything like "#235", so I'm not sure how to find the correct size (if there is one). Does the hardware store where you found your inserts still sell them? Can you help me locate the right part to make your fix work? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:51 PM

The pen is mightier than the visor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele
I have a quick fix I should put up that is a great one and uses a pen or pencil. I will try to do that soon.
No time like the present! If I can't obtain the right part to make LokiDad's fix work, I'm looking for other options. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:04 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-TL-
OMG!!!!!!!!!! YOU POST THIS AFTER I RIPED MY OFF!!!! O_O!!!!! >_<!!!!!!.....ah oh....... bought the car, passenger visor thing missing, driving to friends house later that night, visor keeps going down........5 min later...... RIP!!!!!!!!! BANG!!!!!! out the window it goes........ >_>

nice fix BTW

Now that's Fing funny!! At least you didn't have the window closed...or else you would have heard Rip, Bang, Shatter, OH Sh*t, (Sirens), DOH!!!!...
Old 09-14-2006, 06:10 AM

Visor Part - Hillman Inserts #235

Well, I'm the guy (LokiDad) that came up with the fix for the visor.

Unfortunately folks have had trouble finding the Hillman inserts #235. That was the number printed on the box that I took the fitting out of, and no, it was not a hardware stock number -- it was definitely the Hillman number as printed originally on their shipping boxes.

The hardware store I purchased it from has since gone out of business.

The worst thing, however, is that I no longer have my SVX!

On a beautiful Saturday morning here, with a cup of coffee in a thermos cup in my hand and the windows wide open, I was off to run an errand in my SVX.

I was actually doing the 35mph speed limit on a main street, radio on with Click and Clack keeping me company -- and a gal decided (these where HER words to the police officer) she was going to beat me through a four-way stop sign at an intersection. She boldly (I guess) charged ahead. However, I had no stop sign whatsoever. She did. I was evidently almost by her (I knew she was there but she was off my radar screen because I knew she had a stop sign) and then BOOM. I wondered what the heck had happened. Evidently she was going to roll through the stop sign and accelerate (which she did) and hit me square on the passenger side front tire. It immediately totalled her car - in fact, she and I were both shocked at how her car looked - almost like something out of a cartoon or SNL skit. Mine looked pretty good until they felt it had damaged the front axle and some of the engine and power transfer and then the insurance company totalled my car too. That was over a year and a half ago. I do miss it.

If you can't find that insert, the only thing I can recommend is that you take the information and idea on the fix and go fiddle in the hardware stores as I did. It did keep the doggone visor up -- and that still was/is a lousy design.

I now have a Subaru Legacy and the visor on it every now and then hints that it isn't as solid as it should be -- but nothing like the SVX. Then again, although I enjoy the reliability and the overall car with my Legacy - it is nothing like the SVX either, and I do miss it. Grrrrrr. I'm still upset with that gal. What a shock on a gorgeous Saturday morning.

By the way, the visor still stayed UP!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
I looked at the crash pictures in your locker and it is scary that the insurance company would total it. Looks like only the front fender got it, along with some scrapes on the bumper.

Was it drivable after the accident? If so how did it drive?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-14-2006, 10:07 AM

When in doubt, go to the source!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiDad
Well, I'm the guy (LokiDad) that came up with the fix for the visor.

Unfortunately folks have had trouble finding the Hillman inserts #235. That was the number printed on the box that I took the fitting out of, and no, it was not a hardware stock number -- it was definitely the Hillman number as printed originally on their shipping boxes.
I called the Hillman Group, Inc. to find the correct part. It turns out that #235 is their order number for an assortment of different size brass wood inserts. The two largest ones they have in the package are 5/16" and 3/8". From the pictures, I was pretty sure your fix used the 3/8" insert, even though it didn't work for me; but I will double-check with the 5/16" and report back.

BTW, I'm so sorry to hear about your SVX! (Too bad you didn't save the visors for your Legacy, eh? )
Old 09-14-2006, 08:50 PM

Ahh, an ASSORTMENT? !!!

Very cool and good detective work! I knew it was on the side of the box and copied it off because I was hoping the fix would work and knew I wanted the number if the passenger side went. Thanks for clearing that up.

I would add one modification to the fix -- and that is one layer of some sort of tape or to rough up the either the nylon or the brass part, just to give it more to grab onto and make it even sturdier. I had ONE strange instance where the temperature, humidity, and I guess everything else must've been just right for it to droop ever so slightly once -- and I made that mental note. But it didn't do it again.

Yes, I sure miss the SVX, although my Legacy is a wonderful commuter car: park it in the Downtown garage in St. Louis and I don't have to worry about it like the SVX, plus it zips along fairly well. But the SVX was a fun car -- hadn't enjoyed a car that much since my 71 MGB-GT (British Racing Green with wire wheels) and a Busch beer can blue Audi Quattro (the small one, not the big one).

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:02 PM

ALSO, yes, they totalled it, which surprised me !!

I didn't know my son had posted the photo of the car after the accident (see above in the thread).

I was shocked they totalled it, too.

At first (and thankfully) the insurance adjuster was evidently smitten with the car -- and wrote something to the effect like "REALLY nice car" on the insurance sheet, plus "in great shape other than the accident".

Then the shop that had been recommended to me by several sports car afficiandos and SCCA friends thought there was trouble with the power transfer and front axle.

So the insurance company totaled it, and wanted to give me a ridiculous amount. Even said "do you know that car had hail damage?" (It didn't - there was one VERY small dimple on the hood)

I told them "don't start that cr*p" AND that "I'd see them in court".

I also pointed out two facts: one, was that there own estimator lauded what great shape the car was in, and TWO, that I worked for one of the largest and best law firms in St. Louis (no, I'm not a lawyer, just Supervisor of Media Services -- but I know LOTS of d*mn fine lawyers -- btw, they liked the car, too).

So they fianlly came back and offered me a decent amount -- I think it was something like $5700 at the time, which was very good for the year, mileage, etc. It was decent, but I had to force the issue! Teed me off.

Last I heard it was going to a salvage yard in Kansas City. I would have loved to have purchased it back for the salvage price, but no time, and no room. Plus I am not a natural-born mechanic, although I know my way under a hood a bit (had to with the MGB-GT which was a baptism of fire).

At any rate, it kind of worked out, I guess. But I miss the car.