Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2004, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
Preparing the SVX for a 2000 mile journey

Okay, well most likely my friends and I will take the SVX down to florida from NJ. Right now it's got about 54,600 miles on it so it's coming close to a 60k.

It's a 92 though and I'm pretty sure that everything on it IS original. Everything seems fine about it, and i've had it for about 9 months now, and put 7,000 miles on it with no problems at all, aside from a bad crank pulley.

I'm pretty confident the SVX won't have a problem making it during the journey but I think that maybe I should at least replace the water pump, hoses, and maybe the alternator. I just did the belts (except the timing).

Should i do a 60k service before going to Florida? I think it's a good idea, and I'm well prepared to hand over my bank account to do it. I don't hear any roaring from the back end so I'd rather not touch the rear wheel bearings.

What EXACTLY should be done for a 60k? Is there a scheduled maintenance calendar anywhere for the SVX?

Thanks

-Mike

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 05-16-2004, 10:15 AM
red95svx

A 60K for a SVX at our dealership looks like this:

fluid changes:

oil
coolant
brake
power steering
transmission
differentials

parts:

plugs
PCV
fuel filter
oil filter
timing belt
ps belt/ac belt if needed

Even though the timing belt is good for a lot more than the recommended 60,000 miles (I went 85,000 on my last timing belt), you might want to consider having all your belts changed due to age. You'll have to replace them at some point in time anyway, so why not do it before your big trip? Nothing sucks more than having car problems 2,000 miles from home when you're supposed to be on a relaxing trip!

If nothing else I would at least have the car looked over for any obvious problems, such as torn axle boots or an AC belt hanging on by a thread.

Dave
Old 05-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Tell me you have an AFT filter installed.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info Red95SVX ......I checked on alldata about the scheduled maintenance for an SVX and you were pretty much dead on balls accurate.

Actually - I don't have an aftermarket tranny filter installed .....just the cooler. Think she'll really eat up some metal during the journey? That would suck

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:46 AM

I also have a 92 LS-L. but with 208k mikes. The AFT filter I refer to is the Subaru filter. My car did not have one originally and I added it in. My 91 Legacy has the same AFT filter and it was original on the car. It is mounted inside the engine compartment on the wall next to the engine under the battery. Subaru had program to install the filter on the SVX if it did not have one originally. There are many posts on this subject.

The filter grabs all the non-metalic stuff and of course metal also. Some people think, myself included, think it is important for the life of the tranny. You may want to check if it's there.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:28 PM

So I did the preventive maintenance to the SVX myself (still cost a pretty penny though) ..........anyway - I was looking at the way the aftermarket tranny cooler is hooked up and I don't think that it was done right.

The lines go into the stock one (radiator) then out into the Aftermarket one then into the trans again. Aren't they suppose to go in parallel ....like where they're both hooked up so if the stock one clogs there's no problems?

This has gotten me a little worried, and I think I should definitely look into the filter kit as well as a tranny temp gauge. The trans is still shifting just like the day I got it.....nice and smooth with no hesistations.

The SVX begins the journey in about 15 hours ..........

Old 05-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I would be worried if you are still running the original radiator and tranny. One reason the early years had so many problems is the friction material flaking off in the tranny and then clogging the screen in the tranny cooler that is in the radiator.

Later models changed material in the tranny and changed the radiator.

On a 92 with original radiator you definitely want to be either parallel or eliminate the stock cooler altogether.

With 15 hours to go I'd personally just bypass the stock cooler and run only the aftermarket. Especially since you are headign to florida - the tranny is going to cook in the heat.

When you get home it'd be a choice between parallel or keep it bypassed but with either make sure you get an aftermarket filter kit added if you dont already have the tsb filter kit.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:25 AM

well it might not have the original radiator ....but I can't say for sure. Can I pinch the lines with vise grip pliers to stop the fluid from coming out while I do the bypass? I'd hate to drain the tranny once again.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:05 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Immortal is right about the radiator getting clogged. Bypassing it entirely for now an routing the ATF through an aftermarket cooler would be a very good option.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:02 PM

i agree. I wound up just putting both the coolers in parallel and installed a filter kit. So far so good and no nightmares. ::thank god::

............less then a couple hours til d day

Old 06-02-2004, 03:53 PM

Hey the car actually made it flawlessly.

Wound up putting 2,751 miles on the car with no troubles aside from an overheating issue .......but it wasn't major.

It was extremely hot in florida, one day we were stuck in traffic and the "outside temp" read 108 degrees (obviously a little wrong) ......well the temperature gauge was about 1/4 above the half-way point leaning towards the H, so i put the heat on which got it back to normal ...........really had me goin though because normally its BELOW half way the whole time.

Wound up taking about 16hrs getting there doing some stopping along the way, and 13hrs getting back home. It was definitely a long drive, but a lot of fun to be in florida and just relax. but i think next time we're flyin!!!!! Maybe I'll post some pics.

i actually got some faith in this SVX now ........definitely had my doubts about the 12 year old car making the long journey non-stop.

Old 06-02-2004, 04:04 PM

I'm closing 100k and have the original everything + no filter + no nothing ....

...Eeehh, hi guys ...please don't care about putting your glasses on, would ya ..

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 06-03-2004, 03:04 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen

It was extremely hot in florida, one day we were stuck in traffic and the "outside temp" read 108 degrees (obviously a little wrong) ......well the temperature gauge was about 1/4 above the half-way point leaning towards the H, so i put the heat on which got it back to normal ...........really had me goin though because normally its BELOW half way the whole time.

Glad to hear all went well!

As long as the needle doesn't go in the red, you're fine. You have to expect that every now and then, on a really hot day, in traffic, it's possible the temp gauge will read higher than normal.

As for the outside temp gauge, I suspect that the sensor picks up engine heat when the car isn't moving (or possibly heat from the road).

Dave
Old 06-04-2004, 06:19 AM

I think it's great your SVX did well.

You have a GOOD car.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:29 AM

I guess the temperature gauge could've still be in the normal range, but it definitely had me a little worried.

One thing I did notice is that when the temp gauge was a little below half the A/C blew ice cold. When it was half way the A/C was cold, but not as cold ...maybe like 68* instead of 65. When the temp gauge was above half, the A/C was hot and very uncomfortable.

Anyone have that problem?