Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2004, 10:43 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

humming noise from engine

hey everyone this is my first thread that i'm ever posting on the network, i have a 1993 subaru svx 25th anniversary edition. the red with tan interior. i havent had any major mods done to the car, i just had the exhaust gaskets changed and my cat welded because it was cracked. i am now having a problem when i start my car. its not really a problem but something really annoying. when i start the car there is this noise coming from the engine that sounds almost like when there is interference on a microphone or something. it lasts about 5 seconds and then it goes away. this car has been nothing but perfect so far and im really happy with it. it has never had any problems or major mechanical work needed. also wanted to say how great this network is because many of the little problems i have had i was able to fix by reading the replies on the network. THE SVX WAS THE BEST CAR EVER INVENTED
Old 05-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Welcome to the site!

About your problem - how often do you drive your SVX? Does it ever go a few days/week without being driven? Sounds like it could be a 'valve lash' noise which is common w/ these cars.

Check out the following thread: Valve Lash

You can also do a search under 'valve lash' to see other threads discussing this issue...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-05-2004, 12:42 PM

my SVX is driven everyday. i use it as my daily car. i have a 1988 porsche 911 that i take out on the weekends though . im pretty sure i need new rotors in the SVX too because when i brake it squeals really loud
Old 05-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

If your brakes squeal then you need new pads, not rotors. If you feel a vibration under braking, you need new rotors...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
im pretty sure i need new rotors in the SVX too because when i brake it squeals really loud

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-05-2004, 12:52 PM

I guess I don't agree w/ Chiketkd....the valve lash is common w/ all subarus, not just svx's

I had the same problem as sppboesvx93, turns out it was one of the abs relays needing to be replaced.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:59 PM

thats the second time i have heard that it may be an ABS relay. if it is an ABS relay that needs to be replaced how expensive is that? and i think my rotors and pads need to be changed too because when i got my tires changed last month the mechanic has wrote on the invoice that he suggests my rotors should be inspected. thanks alot guys for your input it is really appreciated
Old 05-05-2004, 01:34 PM

www.subaruparts.com lists them for about 38 each.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
You know rotors need to be replaced when they are worn past the minimum thickness. If they are not under the min, simply have them cut and replace the pads. Brakes can squeal for a number of reasons, even if they are perfectly fine. Check your pads and see if there is any pad left. Then measure your rotors with a caliper or micrometer. I have the min thickness somwhere at home. It should also be engraved on the rotor somewhere.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

I also disagree

on the valve lash being a problem. Our cars, like few other recent Subaru vehicles, use hydraulic lifters instead of mechanical. I don't think lifters would be the cause of the noise your experiencing.

Todd
Old 05-05-2004, 03:29 PM

Re: I also disagree

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
on the valve lash being a problem. Our cars, like few other recent Subaru vehicles, use hydraulic lifters instead of mechanical. I don't think lifters would be the cause of the noise your experiencing.

Todd
I may be wrong, but if the lifters are an issue, then the sound is more like a clicking then the sound that Soobiesvx93 described.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:39 PM

the sound isnt a clicking noise. its a high pitched humming noise that lasts about 5 seconds and then goes away. its just the noise. however there is a ticking noise when i have Econ or Auto or Defrost on in my car. the ticking comes from near the glovebox somewhere. when i click the off button the ticking noise goes away. im pretty sure thats normal though. back to the humming noise, it doesnt do anything at all its just annoying to hear when i start the engine. im also having a problem with my sunroof. when i press the button to open it it doesnt open unless you give the roof a little push and then it pops right open. ot closes fine but you need to push it a little bit to open it. the person i bought it from said i needed to grease it so i bought some WD-40 today and greased it but its still the same. mayb i didnt lubricate it in the right place
Old 05-05-2004, 04:24 PM

I used a silicone spray to cure the sticking problem (along w/ a bit of cleaning along the rails of the sunroof)

To find out how to check which abs relay it is, do a search on the site, you should be able to find out how to do it.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to starsh0t Send a message via Yahoo to starsh0t
yep

yep, i had this problem with my svx recently. I just got it back from the dealership after getting it inspected. According to them everything is fine and the noise shouldn't persist for long. Just keep an eye out if it starts to get louder. *shrug* i don't know much more to add to that.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:08 PM

yeaa nothing seems to be wrong with the car thats whats so strange. everything is working perfectly so i dont know why the noise is coming up. it would be interesting to find out what it is.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
yeaa nothing seems to be wrong with the car thats whats so strange. everything is working perfectly so i dont know why the noise is coming up. it would be interesting to find out what it is.
Can you have someone else start the car with the hood up and you trying to indentify the noise or the location of the noise?

Todd