SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-13-2004, 05:17 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiamat-red
Just check and find out.

I would have done it for you, but nobody would tell be where the heck B45 is...
Your guess is as good as mine. I have a few different wiring diagrams, but can't seem to find B45 either.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:48 PM
deruvian

I think that I may have found it... After looking at the service manual, I located the exterior lights diagram for the system without DRL. Wire 13 is labeled as a green wire that attaches to the fog light switch in the left kick panel. It runs between said fog light switch and connecter "B55" on the headlight combination switch.

Unfortunately, the fog light switch is not labeled as "B45"... It has no label, actually. However, the green wire that connects to the fog light switch is the only fog light-related wire that is labeled "13".
Old 11-06-2004, 05:46 AM
Following the path of the beam

Does your 94 have the same fog light switch as my 92? Not seperate, but in-between the cruise, and security buttons?

Just wanted to make sure. Because I tried grounding that wire without cutting it and turned the engine/headlights/foglights on and off and nothing changed...

Do the fogs have a seperate relay? If I can find it(and reach it) I could probably just rewire that?

92 Ebony LS-L "Jabberwerwok" Now includes 1 *free "Wheeeeeee" per ride!
83 Honda Magna v45 "Grendel"

*Free after mail in rebate
Old 11-06-2004, 08:55 AM
THAWA

Driving around in good weather with foglights on isn't that great of an idea. your eyes will focus in on the closer light so you wont be able to see as far. As far as wiring the lights to work without the low beams really that should come standard, least I think. If you're in a situation where you actually need fog lights you shouldn't have other lights on as that will just project more light into the fog which is blinding. Quite counterproductive but hey, thats DOT for you.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:27 AM

Actually I didn't want to drive around at night with just the fogs on.
I was thinking more like day-time-running-lamps. Or in my case using them just after dawn(on my way to work) or just before dark(on my way home). When there's too much light out to see my low beams on the road anyway.
Now I just use my "parking" lights.
I would just rather have a little more light to be SEEN by. Not to see by...
And on my SVX, again a 92 LS-L, the fogs will only come on if I have my low beams on as well.

Old 11-06-2004, 01:02 PM
THAWA

Whether you notice or not light is still visible from your perspective in the vehicle. Especially at those times you said.

Your fog lights shouldn't create a beam pattern that would be acceptable for DRL's anyway, meaning they wouldn't make your car more visible from as far away as DRL's do. If they do however they aren't good foglights (I don't understand why they're mounted so high in the first place). My suggestion would be to just leave the lights on as Mr. Pockets said. This way your car can be seen from much farther than it would be if you had on just the fog lights, and you won't be focusing in on the closer light.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by THAWA
Your fog lights shouldn't create a beam pattern that would be acceptable for DRL's anyway, meaning they wouldn't make your car more visible from as far away as DRL's do.
The fog lights ARE the DRL's. There's a DRL unit in Canadian SVX's that forces the fogs to stay on almost all the time.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Peach

Re: Day time running lights aka Fog Lamps?

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Is there a way to hook up the Fog Lights for day time use without the head lights being on?

I think that would be cool. The SVX moves into the next decade.
I'm gonna wish I didn't respond to this but hell yes it works...my SVX was already wired that way when I bought it. My fog lights take the place of the low beams via light switch. My low beams are wired up to my fog lite switch. On a recent trip to Montana when it was as black as heck the use of my new low beams "fog lights" plus my regular high beams made it possible to see a long way down the road. When I first discovered this it pissed me off cause I wanted the SVX factory correct, but after driving this way for months now I wouldn't change back because I feel the stock low beams are pretty crappy. I have stuck my head under the dash and have tried to figure out exactly how it was wired but kinda gave up...if anybody has positively got to know maybe I can figure the wiring out. But all I know is this system in my subie works really well.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:49 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
The fog lights ARE the DRL's. There's a DRL unit in Canadian SVX's that forces the fogs to stay on almost all the time.
yeah that doesn't sound like a good foglight.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The fog lights don't have to be pointing up to be seen from a distance.

Have you checked out the beam pattern produced by our fog lights?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Re: Re: Day time running lights aka Fog Lamps?

Quote:
Originally posted by Peach
I have stuck my head under the dash and have tried to figure out exactly how it was wired but kinda gave up...if anybody has positively got to know maybe I can figure the wiring out. But all I know is this system in my subie works really well.
Check to see if they just switched the wires out at the lights, that would probably bee the easiest way to do it.

Last edited by nubs; 11-08-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
Pull the fog light switch .....cut the green wire, and take the part going into the foglight switch and ground it. flick the switch ON and it'll work (only with the ignition on obviously - but without having to have the headlights on) done

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 11-08-2004, 09:32 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
The fog lights don't have to be pointing up to be seen from a distance.

Have you checked out the beam pattern produced by our fog lights?
I understand this, but if it's got light shining up above the fog light cutoff, what good is it in the fog? The last thing you want in the fog is light shining up to the denser part of the fog. That's why good fog light setups are very close to the ground.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen
Pull the fog light switch .....cut the green wire, and take the part going into the foglight switch and ground it. flick the switch ON and it'll work (only with the ignition on obviously - but without having to have the headlights on) done
Well, either I did it wrong, my switch is different than yours, or I'm colorblind. Because I tried that... Sort of...
I took the switch out and there were three wires that can be called green. A dark green one, a light green one, and a dark green and yellow striped one.
So not really wanting to cut all three I just tried grounding them first, without cutting them, with the ignition "on".
The most likely, dark green one just lit up the amber light on my cruise button.
The other two had no obvious effect, until I tried to start the car. Realizing that one of them had blown my cruise/abs fuse, which also apparently seems to be the power steering fuse...

Now that's my fault for not checking them with my multimeter to see if any of them were positive.
But are you sure we have the same fog light switches?

I have a 92 LS-L with the Fog/Cruise/Security combo switch directly under the gauges.

And if we have the same switch, why would grounding the dark green wire, but not cutting it(there isn't much wire left to splice back together if I pick the wrong one) make my cruise light turn on?

Old 11-17-2004, 01:25 PM

Sorry for the bad pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image011.jpg (159.2 KB, 84 views)