How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Synthetic ATF - which should I use?

I'm thinking of going with Redline's Synthetic ATF, but I'm unsure of which one to use in the SVX.

Redline Synthetic ATF Product Line

Also, if I'm doing a transmission flush, should I always replace the filter? If so, what filter should I use and where can I get it?

Thanks!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-28-2004, 11:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I used to use Red Line D4 synth. ATF. Now I use Mobil 1 synth. ATF. It's easier to get (Pep Boys) & less expensive.
Yes, change the filter. I use the Suby filter kit and the filters from the Outback fit. I never flushed just drained & replaced for a year every 3000 miles(same as oil change). I was afraid to flush due to milage on my trannies. I drained and replaced ATF 5 times (15K mi.) for the '92 and did same 3 times for the '94. Did After that I drained and replaced synth. ATF once per year for both those cars. the '97 gets synth. ATF once per year (12-15K)since new.

How many miles on your tranny?
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:47 AM

96K miles, but I don't know if the prior owner replaced the tranny. I could still be running on the original...

We don't have a PepBoys in Charlottesville, VA - just an AutoZone and an Advanced Auto Parts. Would the Mobil 1 ATF be found at either of these stores?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2004, 02:54 PM

find your way to the mobil 1 web site and they list dealers. Redline does as well. You might look into Neo if the first two aren't locally available - Neo is (IMO) a Redline clone.

I would strongly caution you about switching a 96k mile tranny to synthetics without use of a seal conditioner before making the switch or else you run the risk of seals leaking.

if you are intent on doing it, Redline is less likely to leak than mobil 1. why? because Redline makes use of more ester base stock, while M1 has more PAO. there isn't a significant lubricating difference, and they both have PAO and esters. Esters just have a seal swelling capability that PAO products do not have (that's why there's still some ester in M1 - to prevent seal shrink, and some pao in Redline - to prevent excessive seal swelling).
Old 04-28-2004, 03:07 PM

Redline ATF D4 is available at my local Advanced Auto Parts. I'll try switching to that and see if any of my seals leak.

I did add some Lucas Oil ATF the other day which is supposed to condition the components in my transmission. Hopefully, I'll be OK switching to Redline.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:19 PM
The Molinator

Redline D4 ATF

I use Redline D4 ATF. I've actually gone back and forth since they thought my tranny was the cause of my former intermittent rough idle and did a Dexron (sp?) flush 1 1/2 years ago. I did a transfer flush back to D4 ATF about 6 months ago. I don't notice any obvious leaks from AT. But I do have a good valve cover gasket leak going which is very expensive since I use Redline 10/30 synthetic engine oil!!!

2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!