Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Tofu

....and now the laundry list

Questions:

Sunroof is non operational. I can hear the motor running though.

Driver's side rear window won't go down. Cannot hear the motor running.

Low-frequency humming noise at speed. Anything of concern?

Thumping at speed. Feels like a bent wheel. Anything else it could be?

Intermittent high pitched whine sound, very quiet, occasionally happens when the engine is on.

Driver's side mousebelt won't retract unless the key is in the ignition and the power is on. Intentional?

Any ideas as to the above, possible causes, solutions, general info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
time to part it out, ill take the engine
Old 03-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Tofu

Wow thanks that sounds like a great deal.

Useful assistance will result in considerably more grateful and less sarcastic responses.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
ok, take a look at the sunroof motor while trying to operate it and see if there are stripped gears or maybe just one misaligned. For the rear window i am guessing it could be loose wires or a burned out motor. The low feq humming is prob wheel bearing in very first stages of failure. the thumping could be unbalanced tires and the engine noise could be the cooling fans. just my opinions.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:21 PM
red95svx

Some thoughts:

1) Worn gear

2) Bad switch/fuse. Have you tried both switches for that window (the switch in the back as well as the switch on the drivers door)?

3) Two things: worn tire(s), wheel bearing, or both. If the tires look good, prepare your wallet for a wheel bearing replacement (and pray that it's replaced correctly, because it's tough to do and prone to re-failure when not done right)

4) You'd be surprised how many people come into our dealership with a weird thump while they are driving, only to find out they had a slow leak in a tire/rim and the pressure was way off from the other three.

5) The engine camshafts (4 in all) produce a weird sort of whine at certain RPMS, or so I've been told. I think it may be caused by the fact that they have "scissor" gears to eliminate backlash. This assumes you are driving when this happens. If not, I'd guess the cooling fans kicking on.

6) Yes

Just my thoughts, could be way off.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 03-16-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Paxton71

noises

1: give it a little push up in the back while you are pushing the open button. See if it opens.
2: dirty switch. Press 'em with "authority."
3: wheel bearing noises.
4: flat spotted tires? (happens all the time on my DOT approved bias ply Hoosiers! (just kidding)
5: That's the fuel pump. Wait 'till you hear that pressure relief valve purge to the evap canister while you are up in the mountains and is it >90 degrees F after you switch off the car.
6: yep. It does that.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Tofu

1. Sunroof works, it just needs the aforementioned "little push" to get it going

2. Both switches are out. Will take apart panel and look into it this weekend maybe

3. Damn

4. Tires do suck. Will look into it further

5. As long as it's a normal "feature" the whining is okay I guess

6. Well, that's just stupid

Thanks for the suggestions guys
Old 03-17-2004, 07:14 PM
red95svx

Actually the seatbelt thing is kind of nice. My XT used to move the seatbelt every time you open or closed the door. That's very annoying when you just want to quickly get something from the car and not take it for a spin. With the SVX, it will move when you first open the door, but that's it. This way you can open and close the door all you want and not make the seatbelt work constantly.

Dave