How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-04-2004, 04:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Component Driveshaft

Just was wondering how you tell the component driveshaft from the single pice driveshaft. thanks in advance for any and all help
Old 03-04-2004, 05:53 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The two different driveshafts that were used for the SVX are both 2-piece units. The earlier version uses a CV joint at the center, and the later ones use a u-joint at the middle. If by "component" you mean separatable halves, then that would be the later version with the u-joint at the center.

For driveshafts, another option to keep in mind is one that Huck discovered. It appears that the driveshaft from a '97 Legacy Outback 5MT the correct length for a 5MT in an SVX. All that needs to be done to fit it to the SVX is cut off the old middle mount and use the mount from the SVX driveshaft.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:07 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Here's a pic comparing the two as well...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...x_umn/1426.JPG

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...

Last edited by alex_umn; 03-04-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:10 PM

Can anyone verify that the 97 outback 5mt will work without modification other than switching the center support out? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:34 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
Can anyone verify that the 97 outback 5mt will work without modification other than switching the center support out? Any info is greatly appreciated.
I'll have the answer in a week or less.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:47 AM

Does anyone know what year/model of the svx came with the seperating driveshaft???Any leads to find one anywhere? Just thougth i'd ask. Thnaks in advance.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:00 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
I feel like I keep posting about this web site but it has worked well for me in the past: http://www.car-part.com

Choose 1992, Subaru SVX, Rear Drive Shaft. In the listing of parts available you can see ones that have separate pieces; not sure when they went from one to two piece, though...

Hope this helps...

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 03-11-2004, 12:10 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Does anyone know what year/model of the svx came with the seperating driveshaft???Any leads to find one anywhere? Just thougth i'd ask. Thnaks in advance.
'94-'97

Visit my locker

Old 03-11-2004, 02:38 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
I am interested in this too as I have had driveshaft issues ever since my install...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Still a member

Send a message via ICQ to strange179 Send a message via AIM to strange179 Send a message via Yahoo to strange179
a cuople pennies

I saw this and had to throw in a couple bits of info that might help here. First one is that the drive shafts that had u-joints in them were from the "L" or "LS" SVXs. The "LSL" and later, the "LSi" SVXs had the supposedly smoother, quieter CV type center joint in the shaft.
The second one is that even the CV type joint is seperable, it just takes more work to get it apart. I posted a rundown of what the drive shaft shop told me they did to mine in my 5-speed install thread.

Hope this helps and I too am interested in the outback driveshaft info.

Jay

Black '92 LSl 270Kmi 5MT (W00t! for 1/4 million on 4/27/07)
Laguna Blue '94 L about 130Kmi (I think) for parts, in storage
previous: Green '92 LSl 253Kmi 5MT (sold to ron post moose adventure, sold to someone else)
previous: Maroon '92 LSl 130Kmi +- (sold to Ron, mashed by moose, crushed)
Black '89 XT6 5spd AWD (storage)
Old 04-01-2004, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

I'll have the answer in a week or less.
Just curious if you heard anything yet?
Old 04-01-2004, 02:38 PM

Re: a cuople pennies

Quote:
Originally posted by strange179
I saw this and had to throw in a couple bits of info that might help here. First one is that the drive shafts that had u-joints in them were from the "L" or "LS" SVXs. The "LSL" and later, the "LSi" SVXs had the supposedly smoother, quieter CV type center joint in the shaft.
The second one is that even the CV type joint is seperable, it just takes more work to get it apart. I posted a rundown of what the drive shaft shop told me they did to mine in my 5-speed install thread.

Hope this helps and I too am interested in the outback driveshaft info.

Jay
I checked out your thread a few times but am unsure if they were actually able to seperate the cv and if they did did they just replace it with a new cap or did they use the old one? Also do you know if they had to cut it off? Because thats what the shop i took it too said they would have to do. Just curious thanks for the help so far. Its as always greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
I trial fitted it and thought it was too long. The DOJ was compressed to far for me to feel comfortable with using it in the long term. The carrier bearing mount also places the joint at too much of an angle for any hope of longevity.

I ultimately had a hybrid shaft made using the SVX carrier bearing and a mix of parts of the Legacy and SVX shafts to achieve the correct length, correct offset, correct carrier bearing, and not use the offset mount/adapter used in the Small Car kit. Cost for the above work was $160.

Todd
Old 04-01-2004, 04:44 PM
sans SVX

Quote:

Just curious if you heard anything yet?
Sorry, things have been taking a bit longer than anticipated. 5MT goes in the car tommorrow, so I'll have a detailed answer on the fit this weekend.

Todd, I hope the driveshaft I got (from a '97 Legacy Outback 5MT) is different than the one you tried.

Visit my locker

Old 04-03-2004, 05:54 PM
SVX Appeal

Re: a cuople pennies

Quote:
Originally posted by strange179
My 94 LSi has a universal joint. Seperates nicely. Makes pulling the tranny so much easier.