SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Chris_CH

Pipercross are filter

Hi,

I'd like to know if some one already tried to install a PiperCross Vector air system on a SVX, if yes what the fuel consumtion become .......

The pipercross system is below :
http://www.performanceairfilters.com/main.html

Thanks
Old 03-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
First time I have seen or heard of it. It looks like an interesting concept. The flexible hose would make it pretty easy to locate the filter where you need it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Before I move this thread to the mod forum, I'd like to say that the copy on that site is total garbage.

"The unique design of the filter cone and the inlet 'tune' the moving air flow to increase its speed and therefore its pressure maximising the laminar air flow into the engine, again resulting in increased power."

I don't even know where to start... They must know this product is bogus - they actually call their filter 'reverse flow technology,' which makes sense since they get Bernoulli's principle backwards in their ad copy.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Hater

add a Tornado device to that, and .... Whoa! you might need a parachute on the back!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-01-2004, 08:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
add a Tornado device to that...
Oh, don't even get me started on those...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 03-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

The flexible hose would make it pretty easy to locate the filter where you need it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, & I especially like the hose with the garter system attached.

Ron (who cares if it works, I like the feel of it).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
In my opinion, albiet an inexperienced one, it seems that despite all their technobabble trying to "fluff" the product...the ability to get more direct airflow from the flexible hose, like putting it somewhere near the airdam, seems like a valuble enough property of the item. Right?

-Andrew
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 03-02-2004, 07:55 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Amazonparrot
In my opinion, albiet an inexperienced one, it seems that despite all their technobabble trying to "fluff" the product...the ability to get more direct airflow from the flexible hose, like putting it somewhere near the airdam, seems like a valuble enough property of the item. Right?

-Andrew
You're probably right about that, but their tubing dosn't look like anything special. And since their 'reverse flow filter technology' is crap, you might as well skip the whole thing andd use dryer tubing if you want to 'relocate' your air intake for some weird reason.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 03-02-2004, 06:51 PM
The Molinator

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Wanna buy a Tooooooooornaaaaaaaaaaaadooooooooooo! (cheap)

I had to take it out. . . . . . . . I almost snapped my neck from the added "reverse flow technology thrust"!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 03-02-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I likes the models!!!
I straightened out my factory intake using a hacksaw and some creative enginering (read as Duct tape), and installed a K&N Drop in filter. I imagine it workes just as good. When I straigtened the stock on out I angled it toward the radiater a little. I noticed a gap between the bumper and the radiater that allows fresh air to get into the fender well.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:50 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Pipercross

I remember Rallispec used to sell intakes with the Pipercross air filter to the 2.5RS crown. I have a Pipercross panel air filter in my Outback Sport that I've had for ages. It was just sitting in my basement until earlier this year when I uninstalled a previous mod. Doesn't seem like anything special (the panel air filter) but it doesn't seem to hurt.

I like the idea of the air filter being closed off from the engine bay. Since it's closed off, it better be a BIG air filter since the SVX can swallow some air.....stock. Otherwise, it'd be a waste of $$$.

Anyone???------->
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 03-03-2004, 11:16 PM
SVX Appeal

I think Subaru can be trusted to design an effective intake. Ever notice how it kinda resembles the intakes on, oh I don't know, say, every single modern car built today? I think if there were extra performance hidden in a better intake, the Subaru engineers would have found it. ...but what do they know?
Old 03-04-2004, 07:39 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Good point!

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
I think Subaru can be trusted to design an effective intake. Ever notice how it kinda resembles the intakes on, oh I don't know, say, every single modern car built today? I think if there were extra performance hidden in a better intake, the Subaru engineers would have found it. ...but what do they know?
Actually I agree with you. The only way people are going to know is to test different intakes out. Engineers are always making compromises when it comes to cars. I wouldn't be surprised if the compromise in the SVX is some luxury (noise comfort) vs performance when it comes to the intake.

I hate arguing this though. If I had an SVX, I'd simply try an intake, put it on a dyno or 1/4 mile track and report the results. I thought the same thing with my XT6 as far as the intake is concerned. Ended up increasing hp/torque throughout the powerband and in some places by up to 6hp. No, it's not mind altering hp but a difference nonetheless.

It would be nice to test these things out to find out though. I wouldn't mind trying out that air filter if it was readily available. I don't think there are any vendors in the U.S. that sells them looking at the site.
***R.I.P***
Old 03-05-2004, 08:34 PM
SVX Appeal

It is true that there may be a compromise made, and noise reduction is a good example because it's a major concern of the manufacturer. Nearly all of the principals that work for exhaust systems also apply to intake systems. Strange, but >100% volumetric efficiency is possible (and common.) The scavenging effects that make this possible also have an effect on noise - they often tend to reduce it. I suspect - no - I'm pretty certain that Subaru has made use of this in the intake as well.

There's one way to test the intake restriction and be sure. Do a vacuum test just upstream of the throttle valves (or downstream of whatever part might be causing a restriction.) You'll probably need a REALLY high-resolution vacuum gauge because the restriction will be so incredibly low. Stick the end of the vacuum hose wherever a restriction might exist.

A primitive gauge can be made with a clear hose hung in a "U" shape and half-filled with coloured water. One end is vacuum, the other is atmosphere, the differential in fluid level is your indicator.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:47 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Intake Restrictions

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
There's one way to test the intake restriction and be sure. Do a vacuum test just upstream of the throttle valves (or downstream of whatever part might be causing a restriction.) You'll probably need a REALLY high-resolution vacuum gauge because the restriction will be so incredibly low. Stick the end of the vacuum hose wherever a restriction might exist.

A primitive gauge can be made with a clear hose hung in a "U" shape and half-filled with coloured water. One end is vacuum, the other is atmosphere, the differential in fluid level is your indicator.
Here's an article that talks about exactly what you are describing.....finding the restrictions in an intake. Eliminating Negative Boost

Really nice article to read.

A Dwyer Magnehelic Differential Pressure Gauge is a good gauge for measuring how much of a restriction is in your intake before and after certain points.
***R.I.P***