Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-22-2001, 03:49 PM
Debo

Send a message via AIM to cxt2001
Question

I was driving my 92 and i stopped on a pretty steep incline to pull out into traffic and was in drive gear, and their was a different way i wanted to exit the place i was at, so i released my foot off the brake and started rolling back in drive so i could turn around. I started to gain some speed (not fast or anything) than all of a sudden i heard a ~clung!! sound, so i hit the brake and stopped and was wondering what the hell it was than i released the brake again than when i was coming up on a curb i went to hit the brake and there was like no response and very little stopping power(like the car in neutral trying to stop) i finally get the thing stopped and go to hit the gas to go forward and nothing. Im not sure if the car cut off or what i just knew it wasnt moving. So i say sh*t and put it in park and shut it off. Than start it back up and put it in drive (praying) and it worked again. Anyways i thought at first it was a belt cuz ive needed to get them changed but obvious it wasnt that. Than i was like oh no the tranny (if i screwed that up) but it drove back home normal. Could it have just stalled? I think it did but am not sure. I was in the middle of the road and was hurrying.(didnt pay much attention to it). anyways sorry about the long post. But does anyone have a answer for me?? thanks, chris

Old 03-23-2001, 07:41 AM
lightning_8669

It just stalled. Probably because the engine wanted to go one way and the trans another. The brakes are aided by vacuum from the engine. If the engine quits the vacuum assist quits and the braking power falls off. Also, the power steering stops working too but if you weren't turning the wheel you wouldn't probably notice. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you but also wouldn't repeat the rolling backwards while in drive event either.

Just my $.02

John
Old 03-23-2001, 02:40 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
rolling back

I was wondering about why my svx sometiems roll backwards in drive on inclines. As far as I can remember, my old hyundai automatic never rool back in drive. Is it something to do with the difference in our tranny or because of the power required to hold the weight of our cars?
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 03-25-2001, 02:59 PM
Debo

Send a message via AIM to cxt2001
Thanks John.

Hey man thanks for the info. Yeah, it probly just stalled I wasnt sure though.

Chris
Old 03-25-2001, 03:19 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: rolling back

Quote:
Originally posted by htyei
I was wondering about why my svx sometiems roll backwards in drive on inclines. As far as I can remember, my old hyundai automatic never rool back in drive. Is it something to do with the difference in our tranny or because of the power required to hold the weight of our cars?
I think it may only be because the flat six is so smooth at tickover, the car is set to very low rev tickover, at which speed the box has little power or has not kicked in. I just use the parking brake all the time and presume the car will not hold without revs.

Joe
Old 03-25-2001, 03:30 PM
zsvx

Question Good question

I have also noticed when I have the car up on jack stands I can spin the wheels backwards very easily. Not that I make a point of doing this but it happens when I'm trying to take them off. Should I worry about this or am I being paranoid?
Old 03-26-2001, 09:10 AM
lightning_8669

The car can roll backwards because the only thing "holding it up" is transmission fluid. Because the engine idles slow, 650 rpm or so, the fluid pressure in the trans isn't sufficient to engage the clutches firmly. It would be similar to only slightly letting the clutch out on a standard trans.

The reason the wheels can rotate when the car is jacked is because the transfer clutch to engage the rear wheels is also pressure regulated. So with the engine off the rear wheels, through the differential/drive shaft, are connected to a floating clutch and are not locked when the trans is in the "park" position. You will have to break the nuts loose while the car's tires are on the garage floor or with an impact wrench.