SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-27-2001, 08:54 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Spark-Plug Quickie

Hey, what's the gap on the spark plugs for an SVX? I'm planning to do my plugs over the weekend so I need to know!!!

Hey, if anyone wants to post the procedure again for those who've never seen it, I won't complain either... I've got it written down somewhere myself but I'm in class today and on break so I've got no time!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-27-2001, 09:49 AM
The Road Less Traveled

0.044 I think.

But I could be wrong.

If you are buying new plugs, the Bosch and the NGK plugs come pre-gapped, so you shouldn't have to fiddle with it.

VK
Old 07-27-2001, 10:37 AM
KEVINL

I think now a days all Spark plugs come pre gapped so don't mess with it
Old 07-27-2001, 11:41 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
0.044 I think.

But I could be wrong.

If you are buying new plugs, the Bosch and the NGK plugs come pre-gapped, so you shouldn't have to fiddle with it.

VK
The NGK's are pre-gapped at .040. Recommended gap is between .038 and .042. I just left mine where they were.

I have the procedure in my files at home. I did mine without removing the access plugs in the fender wells. I'll post it tonight if no one else posts. But then, you could check the Yahoo archive. I posted the procedure there a couple of times.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-30-2001, 09:09 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Re: Spark-Plug Quickie

Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx
Hey, what's the gap on the spark plugs for an SVX? I'm planning to do my plugs over the weekend so I need to know!!!

Hey, if anyone wants to post the procedure again for those who've never seen it, I won't complain either... I've got it written down somewhere myself but I'm in class today and on break so I've got no time!!!

Thanks in advance!!
I did mine about 2 weeks ago. The gap (according to my crappy Chilton manual) says its 0.38 to 0.42 like Aredub said. I went with Bosche Plat +4's and they were pregapped to 0.41 so I was happy with that. REMEMBER if you buy platinum....DON'T try to test the gap, you will wreck them!

As for the procedure. I wrote a pretty brief how-to, with pictures, on my website if you want to check it out. It's pretty straightforward. You can get it from http://www.ryanmacdonald.com under Sunfire/Svx and then click How-to's.

Aredub, how in the world did you do it without taking out the fender plugs?? I had a b*tch of a time trying to get in there even doing that. Or are you not mensioning the use of your engine hoist?

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 07-30-2001, 09:58 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Spark-Plug Quickie

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
Aredub, how in the world did you do it without taking out the fender plugs?? I had a b*tch of a time trying to get in there even doing that. Or are you not mensioning the use of your engine hoist?

Ryan
I just took a little extra time (the job took me 4 hours -- I was being EXTRA careful, since it was my first time). That, and a swivel head socket wrench helped a bit. I didn't want to take the chance of dropping the access plug down into the double wall of the fender. The worst plug, of course, was driver's side rear. Seemed like I couldn't keep the coil out of the way. Anyhoo, I got the job done and still haven't blown a plug outta the hole yet . That was a few (maybe tens of) thousand miles ago.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-31-2001, 06:43 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Ironic...

I never DID get around to doing it because of my Fiero. Why ask you? Well, smart me I put my basic tools (socket wrench, work light etc.) into the trunk of the Fiero last time I worked on it. Hey, they were easy to get to there! Anyway, on Saturday morning I discover to my dismay that my 3-year old has made off with the keys to my Fiero... and to add insult to injury I had taken the battery out so that I could charge it at some point before I work on the Fiero again... and I didn't leave the cover off!! BWAAAH!

<sigh> C'est la vie! I still haven't found my Fiero keys, but I have gotten a hold of the spare set from the previous owner (he forgot to give them to me)... but it'll be this weekend before I do it again!!!

I'm gonna be brave and try it the Aredub way
Old 07-31-2001, 06:44 AM
BadDog

nvrmore100, please clarify "REMEMBER if you buy platinum....DON'T try to test the gap, you will wreck them!"
I don't need to hear this, I ordered a set of NGK Laser Platinums... if I wrecked $85 worth of plugs by gapping them, I'm gonna be super-pi**ed at myself!
Old 07-31-2001, 12:50 PM

Well lets hope you didn't....

The reason you wreck them is that platinum plugs just have a few spots on the electrode that are truly made of platinum. MOST of the time when you try to gap them, or even check the gap, the platinum wears off, or at least gets much thinner. The plugs will still work, however not to the extent of what you paid for. Let's just hope you didn't rub most of it off. Either way I doubt that you will notice any difference, I just figure like you said, why damage $85 plugs.

Ryan

Old 07-31-2001, 12:59 PM
BadDog

nvrmore100, well that doubly sucks because the gap was too narrow on all of them
If anything, the plugs scratched my guage! (one of those circular, continuous-edge types)
Old 07-31-2001, 01:05 PM

Crappy.

Well put them in. If like you said they scratched your gap tool, your are likely ok. Although I have seen it happen before on quite a few platinum plugs. Either way you should be fine, the electrode should still fire with no problem.

Good luck,
Ryan

Old 07-31-2001, 01:20 PM
BadDog

Yeah, I'll give it a try.... thanks for the info anyway!
Old 07-31-2001, 02:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
I got my plugs from the dealor...ended up being the same price as NAPA...which if I'm not mistaken ended up being Bosch Platinum +4 anyway....

Subaru logo on the little boxes, but the decal read bosch p+4 or somthin similar to that anyway..my parts guy said they came gapped and not to worry about it..

I tell you what have a lot of cold drinks and some pain killer...cuz man-oh-man did my knuckles hurt after that one