How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 AM

Registered SVX
Daily Driver

So I have been thinking about getting a daily driver so my SVX can have some relaxation time after my rebuild is complete. I want to go with subaru, and I have had my attention caught recently by the 2000 LEGACY 2.5 GT.

Who out there drives these bad boys around, and what kind of common problems are found with the electrical, mechanical, and other parts of the cars?

What should I look for should I decide to go inspect one for purchase?

How much should I pay for a good condition legacy with relatively low miles (70,000-90,000)?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
So I have been thinking about getting a daily driver so my SVX can have some relaxation time after my rebuild is complete. I want to go with subaru, and I have had my attention caught recently by the 2000 LEGACY 2.5 GT.

Who out there drives these bad boys around, and what kind of common problems are found with the electrical, mechanical, and other parts of the cars?

What should I look for should I decide to go inspect one for purchase?

How much should I pay for a good condition legacy with relatively low miles (70,000-90,000)?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Cam,

Watch out for head gasket issues on any 2.5 Liter motor up to late 2003.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Registered SVX

Is there a particular reason that the 2.5 engines have HG problems? I would hate to teardown another motor in the near future...well, I would love to, but my wallet (and girlfriend) would hate me

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 02-17-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Subarus just like to eat head gaskets. Period.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM

Registered SVX

Is there an easy way to tell if it is a Phase I or Phase II EJ25? It would seem that the 2000 leagcy GT changed part way through the year to the Phase II.

Also, the Phase II EJ25 apparently has a visible leak from the bottom of the head/block mating surface when the head gasket fails, as opposed to the Phase I which does not.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I absolutely hate my wife's 03 GT. In fact I hate it so much I doubt I'll ever buy another Subaru. It is simply the biggest POS you can buy for $26k.

That said if you really must a 00ish with the mileage you say I'd guess you'd pay around 4-7k for it depending on options and where you're getting it from. If an auto be wary as the trannies though better than the SVX still are a weak point. Ask if the "head gasket" fix was applied per subaru. If it was walk away as it is Subaru's answer to bars stop leak and will clog up the radiator eventually. Check that auto fluid real good and if it is dark brown and smells like burnt toast walk away. Also if it was just changed walk away too. Run if the tires don't match. Verify the t-belt has been done as I don't think subaru went to 100k belts until 02.

For comparison sake, I just got a winter beater in the same price range. An 05 Jaguar x type with 99k on the odo. Their biggest issue is their auto tranny so I went with the stick. Better built by leap years then our lego, faster, better mileage and much more comfortable of a driver. No I wouldn't spend $35k for it but for the price they are worth a look.

Other car you might want to consider is a fusion awd. Very nice car but out of my radar as it is made in mexico for slave labor rates.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
I absolutely hate my wife's 03 GT. In fact I hate it so much I doubt I'll ever buy another Subaru. It is simply the biggest POS you can buy for $26k.

That said if you really must a 00ish with the mileage you say I'd guess you'd pay around 4-7k for it depending on options and where you're getting it from. If an auto be wary as the trannies though better than the SVX still are a weak point. Ask if the "head gasket" fix was applied per subaru. If it was walk away as it is Subaru's answer to bars stop leak and will clog up the radiator eventually. Check that auto fluid real good and if it is dark brown and smells like burnt toast walk away. Also if it was just changed walk away too. Run if the tires don't match. Verify the t-belt has been done as I don't think subaru went to 100k belts until 02.

For comparison sake, I just got a winter beater in the same price range. An 05 Jaguar x type with 99k on the odo. Their biggest issue is their auto tranny so I went with the stick. Better built by leap years then our lego, faster, better mileage and much more comfortable of a driver. No I wouldn't spend $35k for it but for the price they are worth a look.

Other car you might want to consider is a fusion awd. Very nice car but out of my radar as it is made in mexico for slave labor rates.
You hate everything and everyone... I have known this for a long time... why not just face it?

tom
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
You hate everything and everyone... I have known this for a long time... why not just face it?

tom
Not true, just ask budfreak, you don't even need to wipe your a$$ for me to kiss it
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hi Cam, I have 2000 GT Limited. Has had a number of right front axles. The HGs were replaced, but the car had almost 150,00 miles on it so it wasn't that far out of line. Tranny has been good all along. No problems. As I always I say"Pay your money and get your thrills" Take care, BOBB
Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
jeebus, my '05 (w/turbo) was $24k.

they must have seen you coming.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-18-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
jeebus, my '05 (w/turbo) was $24k.

they must have seen you coming.
26 and change was the sticker price on it. I think we paid 19 which was still a rip off for the pos.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

We have a MY00 Legacy GT 5spd with 150K-ish miles. 2000 was the first year for the single overhead cam motor; I'm pretty sure 1999 was the 'changeover' year that had some of each. Skirtless pistons so they tend to rattle when cold; if it goes away as the car warms up you should be fine. GT's have rear LSD; manual trans has 50/50 viscous center diff, auto has 90/10 F/R electroncally controlled thingie.

Front rotors warped under warranty, I believe the replacements were beefier because we never had the problem again. Subaru finally owned up to the rampant clutch chatter complaints and replaced our clutch at 60K. (We're still trying to wear that one out.) Head gaskets were replaced by dealer, under warranty, at 85K, to fix the dripping. All wheel bearings were replaced in the 100K-ish range. Front inner CV boots went at 120K or so. Fuel system is sensitive; low quality fuel will clog its pores but a strong dose of Techron will set it right.

Everything still works on the car, and we still drive it every day. It was my first Subaru and I have bought two more since. I'd trade it for an '05 GT wagon in a heartbeat, but it's my wife's car and she still harbors an irrational hatred of station wagons, leftover from a previous lifetime I suspect.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss

Last edited by wdb; 02-18-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I sold my 2000 Legacy GT when I got my SVX. I'd put about 60k miles on it, and few of them were kind. The head gasket went at about 40k.

IIRC, the crossover in the Legacy from Phase I to Phase II was actually mid-year in 1999. The biggest difference in the way their head gaskets fail (from the number of cases I've read about) is that Phase I typically mixes oil and coolant where they break, whereas Phase II typically leaks outward, which was the case with mine.

I liked the car a lot, but with the minimal amount of driving I wound up doing after we moved closer to where I worked, I figured I'd do it with some style, which is how I wound up here.

I only wish it'd had the Baja turbo engine...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: