Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 02-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Buying new Struts...

What is the best for the money in buying new suspension for our cars?

Say around the $400-600.00 range. And whats the link to preview?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Buying new Struts...

You have two options; stock replacements from the dealer or Koni inserts in your stock housings. Stock is a remove and replace event whereas the Koni inserts require some modifications. See the thread directly below this one for an idea of the modifications invlovedto make them work.

As for costs I'm not sure you can get the stock replacements for $400 and the Koni inserts will be more than $600. These costs are just for parts not installation.

Todd
Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

The issue with stock struts is that they've been sitting on Subaru's shelves for years are are prone to leak. Your best bet is to get a dealership to install them and then, when they do leak, get them to replace them for free under warranty.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
The issue with stock struts is that they've been sitting on Subaru's shelves for years are are prone to leak. Your best bet is to get a dealership to install them and then, when they do leak, get them to replace them for free under warranty.
-Bill
Hmmm.. Would this continue, every time the struts leak? If they do it within 1 year every time?
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 02-22-2009, 11:50 AM

Good point.... If i do it at a dealer, they'll replace them with others that have been sitting on the shelf as well.

The koni way sounds like a possibility. Around $800.00 is what i'm seeing. I'll have to think it over. Thanks a bunch for the input. Hope to meet some of you at the Meet.

boi
Old 02-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX View Post
Hmmm.. Would this continue, every time the struts leak? If they do it within 1 year every time?

Yes, worst part is the warranty is for a year from initial purchase so if you replace 'em with another set on the 364th day your warranty is up the next day. I replaced my rears a few years back, they started leaking within 1000 miles, replaced 'em again under warranty, put another 500 miles on 'em and these too were leaking. No more warranty so I now have a set of old OEMs on there now. The "new" struts (esp the rears) are only good for having a shiney case to put konis in
Old 02-22-2009, 02:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I agree with what everyone is saying. The stock struts ESPECIALLY the rears are pretty much worthless.
2001 Audi S8
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

[QUOTE=benebob;588553]Yes, worst part is the warranty is for a year from initial purchase so if you replace 'em with another set on the 364th day your warranty is up the next day. I replaced my rears a few years back, they started leaking within 1000 miles, replaced 'em again under warranty, put another 500 miles on 'em and these too were leaking. No more warranty so I now have a set of old OEMs on there now. The "new" struts (esp the rears) are only good for having a shiney case to put konis in[/QUOTE

Is there a vehicle that has the same casing, but maybe a different height, that can be done with Koni's. That way, I can still drive the car, while doing the Koni buildup?
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

You should be able to find someone here on the Network who has a "dead" set lying around that they might be willing to part with. I believe OT and YT both have old struts available for purchase.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 PM

What are the KONI insert part numbers? KONI doesn't list any SVX options. Thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

I sent you a PM with the numbers, Keith.

Todd