How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-13-2002, 07:26 PM
Phatj

Question Left bank lean problem...

Ok, a few weeks ago I started having a check engine light come on and here are the symptoms:

1. Loss of power
2. Loss of Mileage
3. Check Engine light.

Ok, after checking the computer codes I discovered that I had a code 37, left O2 sensor faulty. No problem, I replaced both O2 sensors with new units that are supposedly Factory from BAP import parts. I noticed my overall power improve and I was quite glad. However, this all ended when the symptoms returned in short order. I guess I had a PERCEIVED victory. I decided that the problem was now beyond my ability to diagnose and I took it to my usual mechanic. He's observing on the new O2 sensors that out of the blue the left O2 sensor will suddenly report lean, no voltage. This is usually around the time the light comes on but not always. This lean state also occurs at the same time that the right O2 sensor is showing normal operation. Now, I would assume that a brand new O2 sensor would not act the same as an old bad one, especially considering that the behavior is the same. Also the readings were taken at different points along the sensor path as to rule out problems with the ECU. Could it be possible that something is causing the left bank to go lean and give the ECU and indication of a problem so as to report the code 37? And if so what could cause such a problem. If it helps, the Harmonic balancer recently went out and the pulley as well as both belts needed to be replaced. Including the timing belt cover. Could any activity in this area cause complications elsewhere that may cause these issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- Phatj
Old 08-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It might be that the timing belt is a tooth off on one bank, a weak injector or a vacuum leak (which is what I'd check for first.)
Old 08-14-2002, 10:56 AM
Phatj

A few things to try,

Thanks, I think we've looked at the vacuum leak, and the injectors are firing, but the timing belt makes a little sense. We were replacing that pulley and whatnot so something may have come loose. I have to replace the rear covers because they broke when we tried to take off the front timing belt covers to replace it when the harmonic balancer ate through the old one... I will have my mechanic look at that.