How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-08-2002, 06:22 PM

Registered SVX
Steering Pump Noise

When I put pressure on the steering wheel with my car stationery there is a buzz like noise from the power steering which I think is a relief valve chattering at high frequency in the steering pump. Do any others have this noise or is it abnormal ?

The pump drive belt is not slipping and there are no fluid leaks. Everything operates normally. It could be there is air in the system but I do not see why this should occur. The noise does not sound expenive if you know what I mean! Or I hope not!!

Beav, I acknowledge that I did have a comment from you some time ago regarding this.

Advice would be appreciated. Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-08-2002, 07:26 PM
Green1995SVX

I hate to point out the obvious, but you could be sucking in air at the O-ring. This is a common problem that when the O-ring drys up and goes bad, it will suck in air at that point since the PS system is under vacuum pressure (am i right?) So because of this, It will not leak at that point.

-Mike
Old 08-08-2002, 09:55 PM
deadeye95

This can be fixed for very little money.

Look up the fix in Aredubjay's locker under the "o-ring" fix. This car is so technically advanced I have not been able to fix anything of significance except this - and I beam with pride!!

Hopefully you have the o-ring assortment as described in the locker as our redneck auto stores do. If they don't, I'll buy it and send it to you.

You will need a 12" (or .3 meter - ha ha) ratchet extension for one of the bolts.....my major expenditure for the repair.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:34 PM

Registered SVX
The O ring is not leaking and there is no fluid loss over my 18 months ownership of the car. I can not see how air could enter the pressure system at this point. Thanks for the suggestions though. Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-09-2002, 01:05 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
I can not see how air could enter the pressure system at this point.
It's magical

How did the o-ring look? Mine was squished flat more like a washer. It was also dry but still in one piece. Pump is quiet with the new one.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:40 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
It's magical

How did the o-ring look? Mine was squished flat more like a washer. It was also dry but still in one piece. Pump is quiet with the new one.
Thanks David,

Are you saying that you had the same noise which was cured by replacing the O ring even though the O ring joint was not leaking fluid ? Mike's reply would indicate that this could be so. ( Thanks Mike, for your advice. )

I have not dismantled anything to inspect the O ring as I have seen no reason to do so as there is no fluid leak. Replacing it would be no problem as I have a well equipped home workshop.

Regards, Trevor.

Thanks also Deadeye,

Your offer to send a replacement is something else and is realy, realy appreciated. If I decide to replace the O ring I am sure I can obtain one locally and in fact I have an assortment on hand as I have a vast collection of bits and pieces collected over the years of playing with cars etc.

However it would be great to have the dimensions so that I can be sure I have a replacement on hand before pulling things to bits.

Regards also to you, Trevor.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-09-2002 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:39 AM
Green1995SVX

I've replaced probably 4 o-rings over the last year or so, none of which were leaking fluid. One of the cars didnt even HAVE an o-ring, and it wasn't leaking. But, upon replacment the noise went away. Good luck!

-Mike
Old 08-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Trevor,

I know why it makes noise. It pulls air in past the o-ring. I'll help you out with this. The reservior sits on top of the pump. The suction for the pump is between the reservoir and the pump. When you take off the reservoir to change the o-ring you will be looking in the pump suction.

At that joint between the pump and the reservoir, the pressure is sometimes less than atmospheric. If the o-ring leaks, air comes in from the outside since the pressure in the suction is less than atmosphere. Also the air flows easier than the fluid because air has less viscosity. However, when the pump is off the pressure is not high enough for the fluid to leak the other way. It just the height of the fluid trying to push it out, about 2.5" (60mm) of head. Not much.

I noticed on mine that the noise got worse when it was cold out. I changed the o-ring and the problem was fixed. Then after about 50k of high speed highway driving, bringing the PS pump up to 150k miles since new..... it start to make real whinny noises and to leak from around the shaft.

I put on a new one ($320) and now I have one to rebuild in about another 100k miles or so.

Last edited by svx_commuter; 08-09-2002 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:23 PM
deadeye95

If I had the dims of the o-ring would gladly let you know. The assortment costs a buck or 2 and only 1 fit (of about 20). Offer remains open....

I had symptoms of an oil leak. After closer inspection found it came from the donut area. Seems like all are different!!
Old 08-10-2002, 07:22 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks a million guys you have been great and confirmed my suspicions with positive advice.

I can now do a fix without doubts as to whether I could be just wasting time and energy. My car has done only 110k Kms but is a 92 and this will be an age related problem and the first fault I have had. I can not moan regarding a fix involving the mega bucks cost of an O ring ! What is more it has not resulted in any loss of actual use of the car.

Thanks again, Trevor.

Old 08-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If the SVX is affected the same way as my 1988 Justy then I think we'll be changing a lot of mounts very soon.

On my Justy I have changed tranny mounts, differential mounts, strut mounts, engine mounts...

...well practically everything made of rubber on the car. Most of the stuff was replaced within the same year.
Old 08-10-2002, 08:43 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I had the occassion to look at the motor mounts and they were okay. 10 yrs old and 150k miles. I replaced the tranny mount last year. The rubber was okay. Still flexible but it was sheared off at the tranny side.

What happened on your Justy? Oil or just hard and cracked?
Old 08-10-2002, 08:58 PM
Meow!

All the mounts had worn out. The odd one was the mount that supported the shifter (manual). The rubber separated from the metal.