Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-02-2007, 12:06 AM

ABS code 10

So I checked the code when my ABS lite came on, and its code 10-faulty valve relay or shorted harness circuit. At first, it was just the lite, now I can't shift out of P without using the shiftlock button.
From reading other posts, I get the feeling that its fine to continue driving until I figure this out.
I was worried it was going to be a problem with the right front wheel, as last night my son was coming home at 11pm, was cresting a blind hill, when a cop car roared out of the darkness towards him and over the centre line...no lights on (no headlights either) going 70-80K. He had to pull right FAST and hit the curb with the front right wheel. Wonder if the police would reimburse me if its the cause??!! He was only going 40k, and it didn't look or feel to be any damage, but this morning the ABS lite was on...
Any help or comments on a valve relay/harness circuit or what to do/look for/or not to do will be appreciated.
Or maybe it will just go away on its on.........
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt
Old 09-02-2007, 02:52 AM

Registered SVX
The diagnostic system depends on the availability of electrical signals. The system cannot penetrate further in respect diagnosis, than the source of the signal. Code 10 is far from selective and could result from any number of faults.

Your mention of an incident involving impact with a wheel is rather confusing, in that you do not make it clear as to whether this immediately preceded and can therefore be definitely aligned with the problem.

In the event that fault indication immediately followed the impact, you must suspect associated mechanical damage as being the primary fault.
As a first off, check the right front ABS sensor and the associated electrical harness for damage.

I have no knowledge of any safety interlock system between the ABS control and the gear shift. Someone else may be able to advise in this regard.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:58 AM

Oops. Yes, the ABS lite was on for the first time the morning after the car hit the curb. My son didn't notice it that night, but he was spooked by the whole thing and might have missed it.
I'll get it checked out this week. The shift locking up is weird, but I've read some other posts where this seems to happen??
Thanks Trevor...
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

Old 09-06-2007, 09:59 AM

Update

So, took the car in and the wiring to the horn and brake lights was faulty, which is why the shifter was locking up on me. Realized this was a problem when someone tried to back into me and no horn ...I then yelled out the window like a crazy woman and they stopped...I was at a red light with nowhere to move, and they were backing a van out of a driveway
So now I have brake lights, the horn still isn't working (back I go) and the ABS light comes on and goes off at will. The mechanic checked the wheel where the car jumped the curb, and its fine, some marks under the car where it hit, but no damage.
Who knew that if your brake lights aren't working, the car won't let you shift out of park? Well, I guess some of you did. In my old Volvo, the only way I knew I had no brake lights was when someone pulled up beside me and told me...
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

Old 09-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Thought I'd update this thread. My electrical was wonky. As well as the brake lights and horn, the ABS lite was on all the time, then the Def, fan etc, started acting up. It turned out to be faulty wiring at the fusebox in the driver's kickbox. No more ABS light, can blast my horn, and Def works in the morning. Yipee! I'm going to bake my mechanics some cookies
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)