IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Place to wire interior lights?

Hey there,
Recently I started on an interior lighting project. I stole the idea from the new mini coopers. I installed a green LED underneath each door handle, to gently illuminate it for idiot passengers to figure out how to get out of the car
I had originally wired them up to the shift indicator light in the center console, but for some reason Im blowing fuses. By adding the LED's Im not introducing any new current into the system, so Im mildly confused about this. Im just curious if theres a better / safer place to wire the lights before I go and make sure I dont have any crossed connections or shorts, which is quite likely being I did most of it at night
Thanks in advance,
-Eric BE AT THE NEW JERSEY MEET
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Okay, removed all the additional wiring and crap due to yet another interior swap out. Id like to pick back up on this if I can , so any feedback would be appreciated
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-09-2006, 03:02 AM
Phil & Belha

You know that you are supposed to put a resistor in series with each LED?
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 08-09-2006, 07:31 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
You know that you are supposed to put a resistor in series with each LED?
But I believe not having the resistor would cause the LED to burn out, not blow a fuse?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
The LED's I purchased from radioshack have a resistor built in to the assembly. I had one lit but it was at the expense of my shift indicator. When I said "To hell with it" and wired both of them my gauge cluster lights went. So something really odd is going on there

Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
I had one lit but it was at the expense of my shift indicator. When I said "To hell with it" and wired both of them my gauge cluster lights went. So something really odd is going on there
yes, clearly the svx anti-rice system is functioning properly.

92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:48 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
yes, clearly the svx anti-rice system is functioning properly.

Hahaha!

Actually I saw it in person, not ricey at all

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
The anti-rice system is working great actually. I have removed the white faced gauges, pulled off the damn spoiler, and am begining a repaint from the "Holy **** thats" barcelona red to the more subtle and classy black over swiss mica ruby. Also like to note the removal of an afr gauge that wasnt connected to anything,the removal of a wal-mart three in one misclenious "fits all ford pick up trucks" gauge trio, and the removal of a cd player that thought it was megatron. Also the slight interior upgrade going from L to LSI trim in progress, though that has nothing to do with rice.

So anyway, yeah, about that lighting...I know that I can hardwire it to the marker light, like my gauge cluster WAS, but thats the improper way to do it, and I would like to seek an alternitive

[/Rant ]

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 08-12-2006 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Forgot to add "I" to the last sentance.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:26 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
The anti-rice system is working great actually. I have removed the white faced gauges, pulled off the damn spoiler, and am begining a repaint from the "Holy **** thats" barcelona red to the more subtle and classy black over swiss mica ruby. Also like to note the removal of an afr gauge that wasnt connected to anything,the removal of a wal-mart three in one misclenious "fits all ford pick up trucks" gauge trio, and the removal of a cd player that thought it was megatron. Also the slight interior upgrade going from L to LSI trim in progress, though that has nothing to do with rice.

So anyway, yeah, about that lighting...I know that I can hardwire it to the marker light, like my gauge cluster WAS, but thats the improper way to do it, and I would like to seek an alternitive

[/Rant ]
It would appear that the OEM loom in your car must be one hell of a mess.
There is really no "proper" way to do it, other than connect to another circuit which is protected by a fuse and is energised, ignition, accessories, on/off or permanent supply as is required.

I see nothing wrong in using the marker light circuit, particularly if this has already been cut into. No point in damaging more wiring. In this case you are not adding a heavy current drain, which otherwise would be of concern, resulting in a voltage drop in the circuit and possibly the fuse opening.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Quote:
It would appear that the OEM loom in your car must be one hell of a mess
You aint kiddin. Good thing I keep switching interiors, gives me alot of chances to replace "Improved" wiring harnesses with unbastardized ones. I probly will tap into the marker circuit, as the white faced gauges, as horrible looking as they were, actually worked fine.