Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-01-2006, 05:19 PM

Radiator cap

I think one important item to change frequently is the radiator cap. If the coolant system is not pressurized properly the engine does not cool right.
When I got my SVX the cooling fans would run constantly after the engine warmed up. I changed the cap and now the fans run for a minute or two and then shut off.
Feel the top radiator hose when the car is running it should be stiff.
I had to replace an engine recently on a 99 Outback which had blown head gaskets. Sure signs are bubbling in the overflow tank, and oil residue in the overflow tank as well.
Good luck. I think you are OK if it did not push fluid into the overflow again. Hopefully, you do not have head gasket problems.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:19 PM

Sounds like what my '92 pearl was doing last summer when I got it: Bouncy temp gauge, A/C cutting out, eventually overheating. I also had bubbling and oily residue in the overflow tank. I tried all of the little things first, like changing the thermostat, flushing/refilling the coolant, bypassing the heater core and the internal trans cooler- all with no effect. It got worse to the point where I was losing coolant. My winter project was changing both head gaskets with the engine in the car (it CAN be done!) and that seems to have solved the problem. The good news is that even with 164k miles, the change of head gaskets didn't seem to increase oil consumption like most of the mechanics I talked to said would happen.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner

Last edited by davew833; 06-02-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:35 AM

So far so good. I've been driving for two days, approx 330km and all is well (said with fingers crossed) and "touch wood" it will remain this way. I never had any oil in the coolant or anything coming out of the exaust, no coolant loss that I'm aware of. This has been one of the strangest problems on my 92 pearly yet.

It's amazing that you changed the HG without removing the engine. Your a lot more handy than me, it's not something I'd ever attempt....on second thought, I should never say never.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
why not pull the motor?? Job is cut in half with time and effort with the engine out of the car?? just doesn't make any sense?

Tom
Old 06-03-2006, 10:16 PM

It makes sense to me... I don't have an engine hoist, and didn't want to buy or rent one. Now I did unbolt the engine/tranny mounts and I jacked up the engine so that most of the head was above the frame rail, so I guess you could say I half-pulled the engine.

By the way... I'm not sure criticizing another forum member's (successful) method of doing something is real conducive to the free exchange of ideas we enjoy here. Just my feelings.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 06-04-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserx
Here's an update. I drove to my Subaru Dealer (same one I bought the car from in 1992, I have the same mechanic since day one) leaving the rad the same as it was last night, no coolant showing and the overflo full.
My mechanic saw me as I drove in and came immediately to me, I explained my problem and he told me to drive it right in to one of the service bays.

He refilled the rad, pumped out the extra coolant from the overflo and put on a new rad cap. He put a light beside the overflo and started to rev the engine while watching it. He saw nothing in the 3 or 4 minutes he did it for. He told me I just don't have the right symtoms for a blown HG, but anything was possible.

I drove the 65km to work, let it cool off and then went out to the parking lot to check it out. I removed the rad cap and it was full to the top, the overflo was exactly where it should be. I have just driven home and all coolant is exactly where it should be?

So, I'm..... at a loss for words as I wait to see if the problem is solved or I'm in for a major repair. Talking about repair, a guy at the office told me about this stuff from rxauto.com, thermogasket or something. It sounds too good to be true...comments?

Again, thanks for all the feedback.
First off you have a good mechanic, keep him. Secondly you had an air pocket. Soobies when they blow a HG they dont really put out white smoke. What they will do is push all the coolant out of the cooling system, and you will have lots of bubbles in the radiator.
The test for this is seeing the bubbles, using an exhaust gas analyzer to sniff for exhaust gas in the raditor, and also some autoparts stores have a chemical test that changes colors in the presence of exhaust gasses.
Sounds like your fixed, but do keep an eye on the temp gauge for at least one tank of gas.

nipper
Old 06-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833
It makes sense to me... I don't have an engine hoist, and didn't want to buy or rent one. Now I did unbolt the engine/tranny mounts and I jacked up the engine so that most of the head was above the frame rail, so I guess you could say I half-pulled the engine.

By the way... I'm not sure criticizing another forum member's (successful) method of doing something is real conducive to the free exchange of ideas we enjoy here. Just my feelings.
Not criticizing your work just questioning a strange method thats all. I would say it is worth it even to rent an engine hoist to do it. Sorry if u were offended that was not my intention

Tom