How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Kiteless

Going to an Auto Cross this weekend!

Well, I am going to this auto cross held on a air strip some where in the CA, Bay Area. I do not know the exact location, but I think it is in San Jose. A bunch of Corvette's do this. I am going to have to wait for the "Fun Run's" after they are all done with their competition. As soon as I get out of work I am going to go get some stuff to try and make the slightly sun damaged paint look a little better.

With the sxception of the ATF Cooler and Smallcar.com shift kit, my car is totally stock.

I have been fiddling with the "Manual" setting and it seems to work very well for what it is. I get the impression that I am going to be spending a lot of time in 1st and maybe a little in second gear.

This is not something that I want to do on a regular basis, but I would like to see how my SVX does.

- Jason
Old 08-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Jason,
Have fun!! Couple of things to consider doing:

1. Adjust your seat so your arms are bent at a 45 to 60 degree angle with the steering wheel

2. Bump your tire pressure up to 45 psi front, 38 psi back -- get some white liquid shoe polish and make a mark on the outside of each tire from the contact surface down to about 1/3 of the way down the sidewall. Take a look at the mark after your first run to see how much "roll" you're getting and adjust the tire pressure accordingly (front wear=back wear and not too much roll)

3. Make sure to take everything out of your trunk and any loose items in the passenger's compartment (they'll ask you to take your driver's side floor mat out during tech, so you might as well take it out early).

4. Make sure your battery tie down is tight, the throttle returns to idle after a hard "blip" while in Park, all your lug nuts are tight, and the car stops straight with your hands off the steering wheel. Your car will have to "pass" all of these checks to pass the Technical check out they'll conduct before allowing you to run.

5. Walk the course as many times as you can while the course is open and make sure to "look ahead" when you actually drive it. Consider doing your first run at 8/10th to get comfortable with the course (yes, it does look different from behind the steering wheel )

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

I'll be running as well But in the STL. Your guys are more strict than ours they don't even bother to look for floor mats or anything like that. But yes everything SVXride has said is very close if not spot on certain driving styles and alternate wheels/tires do make for slight differeces. One last comment HAVE FUN!
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 08-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Kiteless

Hey thanks for all the good info. I know they tech but I do not think they do quite all that stuff. I can only run in the fun run anyway because.. well my car is not a Vette. I was at once once before but only as a passanger. Damn what a ride. I am hoping I can get 2 or 3 funruns out of it near the end of the day. I went out and bought a digital tire guage and electric tire pump at the suggestion of my buddie whom I am going with.

- Jason