How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-12-2004, 05:33 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
HELP FAST PLEASE! Freakin Serpentine Belt!!??

Ok, so the water pump is in. Put it all back together and we think the timing is off. When you get down to all the Sprockets and wheels, there are arrows on 3 of them, center left and right. We are pretty sure they have to all be pointing up, but cant get them to match all the way because we go to tighten the belt, and only one moves. Help me please with diagrams or any kind of help
Old 06-12-2004, 06:10 PM

look at this thread

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=18287
Old 06-12-2004, 06:13 PM
deruvian

Do NOT pay attention to the arrows. Look at the small notches on the edge of the cam pulleys. They line up with the small notches on the rear plastic timing belt covers.

Be sure to tighten the cam pulleys to spec. I think it's something like 32 ft/lbs... Please don't quote me on that.

Align the the small arrow on the crank pulley with the notch on the engine block.

When you put the timing belt on, be sure that it is going the correct direction. The engine spins clockwise (if you are looking at it from the front), so the arrows on the timing belt need to be pointed to the right. Make sure to align the lines on the opposite ends of the timing belt with the small notches on the edge of the cam pulleys. This will place a dotted line over the notch on the crank pulley.

There should be 53 teeth between the notch on the crank pulley, and the notch on either of the cam pulleys. I would count. Twice.

Let me know if you have any other q's.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
One thing to try when putting the new timing belt on is to use zip-ties to keep the belt from jumping on the gears.

Here's a pic:

http://svx-iw.com/pics/current/IM002478.JPG

Some advice - clean any/all oil off your engine when you have all the covers off. It gets real shiny