Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-22-2004, 01:10 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

got my svx back, but now more problems..... so the darn car is back in the shop again

ok, so the tranny is fixed, the engine sounds ok, but we've got more problems and i need some answers

1. the passenger side window doesn't move anymore.... the motor is still running when the power switches are pressed, but no movement.... i probably need a windows regulator..... need leads to where i can find one (dont want to go to the dealer)

2. when i turn the steering wheel to the ends (both right and left) the wheels will make a screeching noice.... i suspect it to be rubbing, but then again i have stock wheels....!? any ideas what's wrong?

3. the tranny is acting crazy again.... might be cruise control malfunction, but i don't feel safe driving the svx, so its back in the shop... argh.... when will this end???????

4. and, dunno if this is because the car's been sitting for like a year, but i think the air blower is broken as well.... sigh........... anyone's got a good used unit?

** thinking about getting the blower and the window done at the dealership (after the tranny gets fixed under 'warranty') any estimates on the price??
h
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...

Last edited by subafan; 03-23-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Re: got my svx back, but now more problems.....

Quote:
Originally posted by subafan
ok, so the tranny is fixed, the engine sounds ok, but we've got more problems and i need some answers

2. when i turn the steering wheel to the ends (both right and left) the wheels will make a screeching noice.... i suspect it to be rubbing, but then again i have stock wheels....!? any ideas what's wrong?

thanks!!
Could be the power steering belt slipping under load?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 03-22-2004, 02:12 PM

if the window motor is working I suspect the sleeve lock regulator, a relatively cheap part and easy to fix - hardest part is getting the door panel off (which isn't really that hard).

I'd guess belt as well on the PS sounds
Old 03-23-2004, 08:48 AM

more woes

so for the ps sounds, the fix is to change the belt?

and now, the continuing tragedy of my svx.... so i was trying to drive back to madison in my svx.... on highway 90... trying to change lanes so stepped on the gas... all of a sudden it seems like the accelarator got stuck, or the tranny got stuck in gear.... the rpm went high and the car just kept on accelerating.... even when i stepped on the brakes hard, the car would only slow down, but will not come to a complete stop (trying to stop because i was coming close to a toll station), so i had to try to shift tranny.... put it into other gears, no use, put the tranny in N and the rpm came down for a second and headed straight for 8000.... (i really thought i was going to crash into something) so i had to put the tranny traight into P, and after 2 seconds of rpm going crazy and a loud thud the tranny calm down.... then i notice weird sounds coming from the tranny....

so instead of driving back to madison in the svx, i drove it straight back to the shop and had my friends bring up my mr2 to come back to madison...

any ideas what contributed to the tranny acting so weird? i really really just want this thing to be 'reliable' again.....

Old 03-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I think that situation is very dangerous. Did you think about turning off the engine?

It may have been the cruise control getting stuck
Old 03-23-2004, 12:05 PM

yes, i think this is a very dangerous situation as well, that's why the car is back in the shop... to figure out what happened...

when the car was acting crazy, the thoguht of the cruise control malfunctioning came to my mind as well, but at that point there really wasn't any other way to react.... would shutting off the engine be a better solution? i admit, i was panicing when the speedometer just kept on creeping up and up...

Old 03-23-2004, 02:14 PM

<<so i had to put the tranny traight into P, and after 2 seconds of rpm going crazy and a loud thud the tranny calm down.... then i notice weird sounds coming from the tranny.... >>

that will definitely kill your tranny and maybe void your warrenty. hopefully not, keep us updated.