How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-10-2004, 02:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
All wheel drive shutter, binding

A few weeks ago I replaced the "C" solenoid in my transmission and that cured my problem of the rear wheels not pulling, but after a couple of days I got the binding ,, kind of jerky feeling on turns in town,, I read several posts on the subject in the forum and some were suggesting using a limited slip differential additive in the transmission, while others were not thinking that might be a good idea. I emailed Amsoil and this is what they replied with "In response to your inquiry, AMSOIL Slip Lock Differential Additive (ADA) was developed exclusively for the clutches used in limited slip differentials. The use of this product in any other application is not condoned by AMSOIL Inc. It has not been tested or approved for alternate uses. Owners that experiment with unauthorized applications do so at their own risk" so I found a Transmission additive at the local parts store, it is LubeGard. I put that in my transmission and so far there is no shuttering or binding, not that it might not come back but as of now it is working fine, If anyone wants to look at the LubeGard website it is,, WWW.Lubegard.com , This is just for information but it seems to work and it is made for transmissions..
Vernon
Old 02-10-2004, 02:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I think that binding or shuddering of any kind is indicative of a problem with your transmission, and simply adding things to the fluid is ill-advised. You're treating the symptoms and not the cause. I think iyou would be far better avised to follow the trouble shooting procedure from the FSM, or at the very least posting about it here beofre simply dumping stuff into the tranny.

My two cents, anyway...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-10-2004, 03:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
Hi,, Mr. Pockets, you may very well be right about something being wrong with my transmission but I did call the tech. that rebuilt my tansmission about 15,000 miles ago and he verified that they did replace all the clutches and did all the usuall rebuild procedures that is normally done, when I took the tail shaft off the transmission, I found the the connector to the " C " solenoid was deteriorated, I guess from age so probably the solenoid was actually good as I tested it by applying power to it and it moved and the valves in the valve body moved freely. The additive I added to the transmission is advertised as being approved and used by Major car manufacturers and it is mainly designed to reduce heat so I doubt that it will hurt the transmission but as you said, there could be something else causing the the problem. Thanks for replying..
Vernon