Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-20-2003, 07:14 PM

judgement upon my SVX (long post):

I remember seeing my first SVX. The guy was passing me in traffic on the freeway. I was driving my ex-rental Dodge Colt. I remember thinking "lucky rich guy". The combination of flat six, AWD and that never-before-seen styling made an impression. I never thought about him or the SVX much after that until we found an Outback in our household. I became a fan of that car the first time I drove it. In between the Colt and the Outback were a truck and my wife's Miata.

The Miata was her aspirational car. She had wanted one since they were introduced with the '90 model. When she told me after having it for three years that she wanted to sell it, I didn't believe her. In the spring of 2001, she told me to prep it and advertise it. We started talking about what she wanted to replace it. Life with the Outback was good and I was reminded of the SVX. I showed her John's SVX website and she looked at the pictures of the car. She smiled. We discussed the known shortcomings but she was grabbed by the Guigaro design from the first. When she drove one for the first time, her mind was made up. The first guy that came to look at the Miata bought it. As he drove off, we got into the Outback and drove out to Carter Subaru, where I knew there were two SVX's on the lot. The Ebony Pearl LSi came home.

I thought then it was a respectable car and a good choice for her. Me, my aspirational cars were out of reach. The Outback is our commuter, grocery-getter and kayak hauler. The SVX is our secondary commuter… and my real-world enthusiast car. Every one of my automotive aspirations and fantasies, every Porsche and Ferrari that I'll never own, are borne by the SVX, which is a lot to put on a car. We've had the SVX for two years and I've been OK with it. Until last weekend.

I love organized car events. We had been members of the Miata club and did tours, gimmick rallies, picnics and holiday parties and I loved it. When the Miata went, so did my access to the club. Since then, I've tried to fit into whatever events I can. We went on an all-marque rally this spring, a Subaru-only event this summer and attended the All British Field Meet (in a borrowed MG). Last weekend was the Run to the Gorge, another all-marque event. It's a tour from the Tacoma Jag dealer that runs the backroads of southwest Washington State to the Columbia River Gorge (where the river cuts through the Cascade mountain range on it's way to the ocean; pretty spectacular). The transition stage took us out of the city to a small rural town where the first leg began. Cars were well spaced out and we saw almost no other cars as we leisurely covered the first leg. At the end of it, I fell into conversation with the driver of the only other Japanese car on the Run, a Honda S2000. He in turn was parked with a Lotus Elan and a Jag XK8. After talking for a while, someone suggested getting starting on the second leg. We all returned to our cars & I pulled the LSi in behind the S2K. Almost simultaneously, the Lotus, the Jag and the S2K did a full-throttle exit out onto the two-lane highway.

A friend of mine has observed that on road tours, there's always two groups of drivers: the slow group and the fast group. I had inadvertently fallen in with the fast group.

We briskly motored along the highway until the instructions took us off onto the road that goes down the east shoulder of our local volcano, Mt. St. Helens. The first sign after leaving the highway was the much-sought-after yellow diamond with the squggly arrow and the smaller sign announcing "for the next 40 miles".

Sports car nirvana.

With the Lotus driver as our rabbit, the rest of us followed, ignoring the speed limit and corner speed signs. We drove fast and hard for the next 15 to 20 minutes, on the most wonderful turns anywhere. Off-camber, decreasing radius, turns with pavement dropouts in the apex (caused by winter freezes or undermined by spring runoff), uphill turns and down, blind turns and esses with a clear line of sight. The lightweight (2400 lb, 165 hp) Lotus ate up that road; the Jag matched him using horsepower and roadholding; the S2K, with 100 hp for each of its two litres & six-speed, kept up by keeping the revs up and constantly stirring that box (in that run, I saw his brake lights come on not once). Somehow, we encountered only a few other vehicles, all of which pulled over to give us way and all of which got four grateful and friendly "thank you" waves as we sped by. We stopped for picnic lunch at Windy Ridge, overlooking the crater of the volcano. I was exhilarated. After lunch, we took on the rest of that road: more of same, fast and faster.

If there's a point here, it's this: in that estimable group of blueblood sports cars with capable drivers at the helm of each one, the LSi gave up not one inch. Not for a heartbeat, not even once. The S2K driver got out looking for black paint on his rear bumper.

I came to know my SVX for the first time on that road. I've driven autocross and rallies but never have I ever engaged in driving as sporty as that Saturday. The LSi used its AWD all afternoon. As I set up for each turn and headed for each apex, power-on, the feel of four wheels working together was awesome. Understeer? Just input more power, and the 3.3 was there, ready to deliver. No watching the rev's, no waiting for turbo spool-up (no shifting, for that matter). When the power hits the wheels, the attitude of the car changes from early understeer to near neutral. While accelerating.

Ma gawd.

Set up the car to enter the turn, drop the inside front tire over the fogline, look for the apex, squeeze on more power, feel the G's build, hit the apex while fully opening the throttle plate and accelerate with gay abandon toward the exit, while sizing up the next one and being careful to not actually nudge the S2K. On the short straights, bursts over 100 (I'm always surprised how fast the SVX is from 60 to 100). In forty-odd miles, this was repeated scores of times without drama. I still don't know where the limits are in this car (although on one decreasing radius turn I'd sized up incorrectly, the near neutral attitude switched for a split second to oversteer; the outside rear tire chirped once and then the whole system took over and we exited the turn with dignity intact. The SVX is also very forgiving.).

Oh yeah. On Sunday morning, with the Run officially over, we left the hotel on our own and did some sightseeing down the Gorge, poking along gawking at views and waterfalls like the tourists that we were. After that, we rejoined the freeway for the three-hour drive back home. Closed the windows and sunroof, turned the climate control on a gentle setting, put in a CD. She fell asleep as the LSi wafted us home in comfort and quiet. It's all that too.

A friend and fellow SVX driver asked me afterwards about my previously self-proclaimed Corvette lust. I hadn't thought about it but realized, when he called me on it, that it was gone. Corvette? We don't need no stinkin' Corvette. Besides, it ain't got AWD. After the Run to the Gorge, I have more respect and admiration for my SVX than any car I've ever owned and many that I've lusted for. I was so proud I could bust. We were as good as any car on that road that day and better than many. We ran with 'em and we could stand with 'em. It may be a while before I get the unique combination of that group of drivers, a road like FR25 and the absence of traffic on that magic day, but I shall look forward to it.

I can hardly wait.

Last edited by seasvx; 09-21-2003 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:48 PM

Registered SVX
Congratulations !

Congratulations I have been waiting for this for so long. Some one who can drive and who can appreciate just what the SVX is capable of.

What a great post well written and a great read. l Wish there were more like it.

P.S. I am unable to understand the many posts referring to soft suspension, under steer and and excessive roll when cornering. Like you I find my car handles perfectly and suspension settings are well chosen. I see that your car is low mileage and therefore now must assume that the complaints relate to worn out specimens.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-20-2003 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:47 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

<<sigh>>

'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 09-20-2003, 11:12 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Very, VERY nice peice of writing.

Are you sure you dont write for C&D or R&T??

I'm saving this to show to people who dont "get" my obsession with the SVX.

Well done, *golf clap*
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 09-21-2003, 04:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
A wonderful tale. I have cut & pasted it to MS Word to save it. Found it interesting to see the unrecognised words in the spell checker. MS geeks are not driving enthusiasts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 09-21-2003, 05:42 AM

very nice story...i think we all vote that you should be the first to write the book, "My SVX". it will be a best seller. i miss my svx more now...

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:27 PM

Thumbs up

Reading this, I was right there beside you in the navigators seat.

That's a Subaru
Old 09-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Jim - I was there with you. I had a similar experience when bringing one of my cars home with someone who tried to stay at my bumper. They only saw dust after awhile, and wondered where I had gone. Very good write, and I am proud of you to tell it like it is. I am so tired of the complaints of the car, and don't know if their car is worn out, or if they don't know how to drive. I have been in love with this car from when I first drove it, and will never be without one. Thanks for the experience that we got to have with you through your story.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 09-21-2003, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
Oh man......I envy you.

I can't wait till I get a chance to see what the SVX is really capable of. I'm hoping I can grab an AutoXin event at the meadowlands (giants standium) and try out the SVX on the roadholding course.

As I was reading the story all I was thinking is, "oh man, this has bad news written all over it. He either loses the pack or the SVX doesn't hold the road." Then I got to the end and thought, "wow. ..............I have this car?!"

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 09-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Superbeast

Awsome.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: judgement upon my SVX (long post):

I think after almost 6 years this is worth a bump. I know we have a lot of new members in that time that probably haven't got to read this yet.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

I've been here awhile, and no, I never read it. That is an awesome bit of prose! I saved it too.
I know his joy. Around my home there are sooooo many great roads. They range from really crooked, slow in fast out, hard on the brakes for the next one roads. To, 4-lane highways with long, fast sweepers.
The SVX is so very neutral. Oversteer is available, and easily accessible. Understeer is the rule, though. Not the "plows like a pig" kind, just the "hey you're going a tad faster than I can" kind. Like was so well written above, when you're not using the car's potential, it's buttery smooth. Many times my family has slept through triple digit stints on the interstate.
For my commute it's likely THE perfect car. I have every type of road between home and work, except gravel. On the crooked little byways, it shines with cornering & acceleration. In the twisty 2-lanes, it's high G steady state prowess allows me to carry speed effortlessly. On the 4-lane it's fast, and quiet, letting me enjoy my tunes.

I love my car!
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

My SVX spends every day in a stop and go slog, down boring city roads, wedged between incompetent drivers. It's been so long since I had a chance to stretch my car's legs that I sometimes forget what it can do. That being said, my car does need work to get back into top form. I'm still correcting 15 years of poor ownership.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

I have never read long posts on this forum, I usually read the first paragraph and that's it. Reading the rest would hurt my eyes

Man this guy are a real piece of work, I bet he is a writer or something. I have never read a description well written, with non repetitive wording, up until now. Thumbs up for him whoever he is...

Thanks Troy for bringing that thread up again, hope it becomes a sticky one for people to remember the true value of their babies!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:57 AM

Registered SVX

I really enjoyed reading that. Should it be made as a sticky above on this forum?
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration