IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Upcoming Meets

Old 03-13-2003, 05:07 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
I have just been sent here by Ron to have a look. You guys have me GREEEEEN with envy.

The SVX is one of the few cars I have owned which I have not tried on a road circuit. I have always taken my road cars out for a bash when racing as knowing what a car will do when driven at 10/10 is such a safety factor which can save ones life in a bad situation on the road.

Harry did you break the SVX loose and set it up for corners ? Did it over or understeer ? Was it slow to break away or unpredictable ? I have been told they break loose in a flash but have by doubts as to whether this is so.

Interesting that the brakes performed OK. Thought they would and can't understand some of the posts re poor brakes. Further advice in this regard would be interesting.

Down this way drain plugs MUST be wire locked in place before running on a racing circuit. There can be very bad news for the poor guys following behind and this has caused fatal prangs here.

Regards to you lucky buggers, Trevor.
Hey, Tevor,
Thanks for the post.
First, let me say, I am not a racecar driver - but I do enjoy pushing myself and the car somewhat close to the limit. As you pointed out, getting out and doing these kinds of things with ours cars is not only good for the soul, but it makes us better drivers.
Of course, the SVX is NOT a racecar - certainly not at 2 tons! That said, I still believe the SVX to be a heck of a road machine, and of course, it was designed to be the Grand Tourer we all know and love. It really handles quite well, and I find it to be rather neutral handling.
Re your questions: I really don't attempt to break it loose in the corners. The ole saying, if you are sliding, you are loosing time. However, there are times in autocross in particular that a slight "lifting" out of the gas or slightly tapping the brake (in a turn) will cause the car to rotate ever so slightly, pointing you in the right direction where you get back on the gas and the car "pulls" right through the turn. There at Summit there are a couple of places this was effective, such as the "chute" - a slight dart to the left followed quickly by a slight dart to the right and then 40 meters away a really HARD turn to the left. Then there is the "carousel", a delightful right turn, left turn and right turn is quick fashion - all rather sweeping but uniformly tight through all three. When one hits that right, clipping the apex of each as it should be, it just feels great. Going through the carousel is anotherplace to lift the gas just a little to settle the car going through.
Keep in mind too that I was also on racing tires, Kumho Victo Racers v700's. Compared to street tire, they stick like glue. Heck of a difference!
Regarding the brakes: Likewise, I have always liked the SVX brakes. While stopping distances are not like some BMW's, they do very well considering the weight of the car. I have even had an instructor at Bill Scott Racing (at Summit) comment going into Turn 1 at the end of the straight, "Wow, this thing has brakes!" There at Summit, I have never had brake fade. I use standard rotors out of the parts store (NAPA or the like) and AXXIS semi-metalic pads (these are made in Australia, BTW). I would like to replace the brake ines with steel braided lines, but that would move me out of G Stock class, and the SVX has a bad enough problem with a weight disadvantage as it is. I would say that if one wanted to start upgrading, then go all the way in the class you are moving up to - otherwise, one will not be competitive.
Yep, agree re the drain plugs needing to be wired. Can be very bad for the guy behind you. I remember hitting some coolant from a BMW in the chute several years ago, running 80-90 MPH. I only did two 360 degree spins before "backing" into the outside of the hard left turn. The instructor with me didn't even have time to say,"Sh_t".
Anyway, Trevor. Sorry to run on so much. Us old guys do that at times. And we get faster as we recount our experiences as we age too
But take the SVX out on a track. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 03-13-2003, 08:57 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Sorry to run on so much. Us old guys do that at times. And we get faster as we recount our experiences as we age too
But take the SVX out on a track. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Harry [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, Harry - I think we should recruit ole Kiwi Trevor to join us at Reading, IF he'll just give up that daily dip in the ocean for a week.

Think of all the lies we can propogate between us!

Ron (Lying in wait).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I can agree on how slick antifreeze is once it's on your tires. At my one and only autocross my radiator overflow...overflowed and dripped onto the front driver tire. I couldn't brake or turn properly at all. Killed a few cones!

The culpret was the rad sealant the previous owner used. It plugged the overflow container like a 1 way valve.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
David,
Not good, huh? Thjat has to be the slickest stuff going! Glad it was only the cones!
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 03-13-2003, 11:54 PM

Registered SVX
Harry thank you very much for the run down and every word was worth reading. Great to read some fact as there is far too much fiction posted.

You have confirmed my own thoughts. The SVX does ALL it was designed to do very well as built. It appears to me that many base opinions on the performance of cars which have been abused and worn out. It is assumed that the original is no good and mods are resorted to rather than restoration. Your factual experience in respect of the brakes is very, very interesting, as is the fact that you have wisely departed very little from standard.

In my experience the classic fastest line is not the way to win a motor race but "instructors" will not tell you this. The requirement to win is to have the skill to pass cars of equal or slightly better performance. One must have the ability and courage to drive the inside line and this usually involves some lateral lack of adhesion !

The purist will say that you will come out of the corner slower but the object is to be first out. A race is not a time trial. The classic line is for setting a time for a good place on the grid. After that it is -- pass every bastard in view then having got past, if they are faster than you, make sure you deprive them of their classic line until the finish line is crossed. Great fun and I sure miss it.

Possibly I don't have to tell you that the F1 procession leaves me cold.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-14-2003, 04:40 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Trevor,
Well said re the racing lines, etc. If one is in front, then keep the rest of them behind you, even if they are faster. That's where the "driving" part enters the equation. Yes, the classic line through a turn is always the fastest, but in a race, it won't always allow you to "win". And every situation (and turn) is different. And you gotta protect that inside line!

But as I mentioned, I don't race at Summit Point - these are opportunities to take our street cars out on the track and have professional instructor to show us a better way to drive the track. And of course, every instructor is slightly different in approach. One learns from each - if not what to do, what NOT to do, because of many factors such as the comfort part.

But that said, we do enjoy pushing the car and ourselves in this way, and it is a heck of a lot better than on the street. I don't street race - too risky for oneself as well as others. And besides, if caught, the police can take the car up here.....

Agree about F1.. so sad. I don't know if I will be going to INDY again this year. I have four tickets, but I could be moving at that time. My two boys will probably go, but I doubt I will. I retire in 36 working days! And I can't wait!
Take care and stay in touch.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 03-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Thumbs up

Harry, congratulations on your pending retirement! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 03-15-2003, 05:42 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Harry, congratulations on your pending retirement! Don
Thanks, Don. 35 working days left, but who's counting? Yep, it's time to quit after 37 years - wow, that sounds like a long time!
But it has been a good 37 years!
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 03-15-2003, 06:19 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Pics of Summit Mar 03

For those interested, I have uploaded several pics from last weekend at Summit Point. Unfortunately, none of the SVX since I couldn't take a pic of myself - Ron, that's up to you. Where are your pics? Mike, did you take any?

Anyway, enjoy the pics.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 03-15-2003, 06:20 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Sorry, I didn't mention - the pics are in my locker...
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370