Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Trunk Fuel Resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
Trevor,

I hope there isn't a misunderstanding. I never intended to say you were wrong or that I was looking to say that you were. I was simply replying to the questions that were asked of me.

There is another tidbit of information that I wanted to share through my troubleshooting today. As my car is a garage queen and sits during unfavorable weather, it is connected to a battery maintainer. This trickle charger has an LED indicator stating if its charging (Red) or full (Green). While the car has been inoperable I have noticed the charger flashing red more then it does typically. I didn't put it together until tonight when I had the car sitting with the module (and resistor for what it's worth at this point) disconnected from the car. Now the battery charger has been sitting at fully charged for hours with no drop back to charging. Does this align with the module being the issue? I presume it could also be the wiring to the module but I have not yet followed that path. The wiring harness combines with the security system hardware then quickly goes deep behind the trunk liner and then seats.
Be very sure that I did not intend to include you in my generalised comments and am sincerely sorry that you assumed that you were included. As I said before, a Christian name would confirm friendship. LOL

The experience with the charger indicates that a permanent load had been connected across the battery and you have wisely presented an interesting observation. The fuel pump relay coil is is isolated when the ignition is off. However the control system continues to receive a positive battery supply when the contacts are closed.

Therefore this could indicate that the relay sometimes sticks and does dot open and shut off the current. If this occurs the pump could be unwittingly left running and this would impose a continuous load on the resistor causing it to overheat slowly, bind its conducting particles and reduce its resistance. This constitutes a logical issue which must be taken into account. The relay switches a highly inductive and critical load which makes this scenario very likely.

P.S. The resistor permanently in series with the pump reduces the highly inductive load switched by the pump relay. If the resistor gradually deteriorates in respect of its resistance, a point could be reached whereby the relay contacts tend to weld together

Clap hands and congratulate yourself for being so diligent with your observations.

You have your head screwed on so get hold of four cheap as,10 watt 5 ohm wire wound resistors, twist the pigtails together in series, lash the up to the plug and play. You can check them for heat and decide on the best way to make up a permanent set up. If they run too hot, an alternative arrangement will not prove too difficult. Piece of piss as my mates down this way would describe it. LOL

Special regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 12-18-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: P.S. Added