Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2001, 07:16 PM
zsvx

Which perma-cool and B&M coolers do you have? Also, do you remember which temp gauge kit you got? I looked up autometer gauges on Summit and found about 30 of them.
Old 03-21-2001, 07:25 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Lightbulb

I have about the same exact set up as immortal_suby.I just installed the fan cooled cooler in the fender well this past week. With just the B&M 70255 in front of the condenser I would see temperatures of up to 210 while in town with no airflow,and 170 while out in open air. With the fan installed I can keep it at 180 while driving in traffic.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Talking Coolers/ Gauges

I ordered the Autometer 2640 Temp gauge. You can see it here at Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/part.a...D-080009FC5B5F

It is a nice gauge and comes with the green cover for the light so it matches the SVX lighting near perfectly.

I also ordered the Summit filter kit with the temp sender hole at the same time. My factory "cooler" is bypassed.

I have had my gauge wedged between the A pillar and the dashboard for nearly a year now without it falling out. I haven't got around to a slightly better looking mount yet, but I'll take a picture of it for you tomorrow.

My cooler is a 15000 GVR stacked plate type (not a B&M but similar) which is mounted between the A/C condensor and the radiator and I have the same temp problems that Immortalsuby and Nubsjr have described. Works great when moving, but when you are still, so is the gauge. I'm going to add the fan cooled one this summer once all the snow disappears from around here.

IMO you are wasting your time buying a cooler if you do not also buy a gauge to see what you are getting.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 03-21-2001, 09:29 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Re: Coolers/ Gauges

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevebsy

IMO you are wasting your time buying a cooler if you do not also buy a gauge to see what you are getting.

I couldn't agree more.

I like the looks of that meter better than the B&M. What I really want is a smaller meter, with more gradations on the scale. Do you (or anyone else) know the electrical characteristics of the meter itself? I'm assuming the sending unit is some kind of themistor, and that the meter itself is just a small milliammeter of some sort. I guess I could take the digital multimeter out there and figure it out, but would rather not.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-21-2001, 11:42 PM
zsvx

Awesome! I ordered most of the parts I need to do the deed this weekend. I was just poking around the SVX wondering why you guys decided to pick the passenger side fender well to install the perma-cool cooler then I noticed the intake resonator in there. Looks like I have another job to do this weekend. Thanks for the great info guys!
Old 03-22-2001, 10:58 AM
lightning_8669

Trans cooler

I mounted a B&M Racing cooler behind my radiator and fans. It is attached to the fan brackets with zip ties and bypasses completely the clogged cooler in my '92's radiator. The B&M coolers have a tube design that allows for various cooling levels at different air temp/transmission temps. Basically it has internal bypass tubes for when the temps are cold and automatically engages more tubes as temperatures rise. I bought mine on line from Jegs for $49.90 US. When I recently was at the local Subaru dealership to have some things looked at the service manager was impressed with its size and construction. I installed the one rated for a 24,000 GVW.

Sorry, but I don't have any photos for you.

John
Old 03-22-2001, 01:38 PM
Rev Hard

lightning....

I find this bypass to be a major concern with the B&M cooler. First off it is not acalibrated to when we want it too open. Second, what exactly opens? How long will it last...? What stops it from getting clogged?

True a filter would help with clogging but, i would prefer a free flow cooler.....

PAUL!
Old 03-22-2001, 03:58 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

<<<I was just poking around the SVX wondering why you guys decided to pick the passenger side fender well to install the perma-cool cooler then I noticed the intake resonator in there. >>>

I have mine in the drivers side fender well. It is in series after the radiator mounted cooler. I am not sure but I think this is were immortal_suby has his. His is a Permacool unit, I have a custom one I made from salvaged parts.
Old 03-22-2001, 04:13 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Perma Cool #12511 (drivers side fender well)
B & M 70255
Autometer ATM 2640
Havoline ATF - soon to be switched to synthetic once it gets a little warmer around here.

You could probably find a better gauge setup - or at least a better way to mount it. This one comes with no mounting cup, just bare gauge and wires hanging out the back. I still am not happy with my mount location of the corner between center console and dash by the drivers right knee but haven' t had the balls to cut up any interior parts to do a proper mount.

Nubsjr - I'm glad to hear you had good luck with this setup. Did you wire a separate on/off switch for the fan? I just routed it into the fuse box in the engine compartment to come on with the headlights, but after driving at low temps at night this past winter on long trips up north I realized there were some times when I wanted it turned off but needed the lights on - (torque converter unlocks automatically below about 140 degrees, even at 80mph)- I just unplugged it but I figure a switch is in order for the future, but I just hate to cut holes in the interior to mount switches.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-22-2001, 04:41 PM
zsvx

Guess I didn't look at the picture closely enough. It would make more sense to put it in the drivers side fender well since its closer to the filter.

I'm still looking for a place to buy that Perma-cool cooler. Summit is out of them and Jegs doesn't carry the right one.
Old 03-22-2001, 04:46 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I had the same problem and ended up calling the customer service number from perma-cools website to order one direct from them. Jegs said they could get one but would have to order it, I figured I'd skip the middle man.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:42 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Lightbulb Fan Switch

<<Nubsjr - I'm glad to hear you had good luck with this setup. Did you wire a separate on/off switch for the fan? I just routed it into the fuse box.>>

Immortal_suby, I got the idea to put a cooler in the fender well from seeing yours. I wired mine up with a 30 amp rely that is switched on by tapping into my fog lights.
This is just temporary, I am going to put a switch in somewhere this weekend. I agree with what you said about cutting holes in the interior. I am going to look into putting a temperature controlled switch that would turn it on around 170 to 180 degrees but still be able to turn it on manually if needed.
Old 03-23-2001, 06:00 AM
lightning_8669

Tranny cooler

The B&M cooler is of a stacked tube design. Meaning all the tubes would have to clog before it quit flowing. Unlike single tube coolers such as the stock version that once they clog the flow stops. Because it is a stacked design is it made of some pretty heavy gauge aluminum and does not have flimsy fins to bend. I bypassed my stock cooler because is was also clogged meaning no flow. I also replaced the filter to prevent my B&M cooler from clogging. The way it regulates the level of cooling is by allowing for fluid to flow through more of the tubes as the fluid thins with heating. Hard to explain in words. Instead of fins the tubes are profiled to increase surface area and also move air over more of this surface. I chose to mount mine behind the engine cooling fans because my thinking was if the engine fans are on the trans would need cooling also. Like I said, the Subaru service manager had no problem replacing my transmission under warranty after seeing the set up.

John
Old 05-02-2001, 03:06 PM
zsvx

Update

Time to revisit this old thread

I finally got my perma-cool cooler yesterday. I had put the summit filter kit in last weekend with the autometer temp sender. A few things worth mentioning:

1. Summit carries the Perma-cool wiring kit which includes a 170F thermal sensor or one with an adjustable thermostat so you can toggle the fan depending on ATF temp. I'm considering ordering this but I'll wait to see what temp readings I get first.

2. Has anyone tried any HKS, Blitz, Greddy, etc. gauges? I'd like to get some 43 or 46mm gauges so I can mount them in the empty DIN slot I have below my radio. I'm having a hard time finding information on any of these gauges online.

3. What power source did you guys tap into for the gauge? They say to hook it up to the ignition but is this necessary? Any 12V source will do, correct?