Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-02-2002, 02:12 PM

I've experienced misfires at idle that went away with time. Didn't do anything, it just fixed itself so to speak.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:45 PM
Green1995SVX

I solved the problem. It was due to my own stupidity... I am not going to share what I did... i feel so stupid.

Mike
Old 10-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Hater

c'mon, fess up!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-02-2002, 08:24 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I solved the problem. It was due to my own stupidity... I am not going to share what I did... i feel so stupid.

Mike
Let me guess. You knocked loose a vacuum line somewhere when you were Q-tipping your throttle body cover.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:22 AM

I've knocked loose a vacume line for the cruise control. Who knows how long it was out before I discovered it.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:38 AM
Green1995SVX

I've done that same thing, but i use my cruise nearly every day. Paid the dealer $78 to tell me that i "knocked loose the vacuum line"

Mike
Old 10-04-2002, 11:04 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
What line?

What line? Did reconnecting the vacuum end the hesitation? As you know, I've had the same problem for about a year now, so I'd really like to get rid of it. I went through the same check engine light that told me to change knock sensors. So, it sounds like the same thing. Lemme know what you did to fix it. You can just PM me if you'd like. Thanks.

mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 10-04-2002, 12:34 PM
Green1995SVX

Mat-

The cruise thing was unrelated... it was just an off topic thing... Check this thread for my solution.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=6262

I know that cant be your problem, but you might want to check your O2 sensors... also, the dealer suggested a bad intake manifold gasket could cause that problem. The tech at the dealer tested my intake manifold gaskets by spraying carb cleaner along them to see if it had any change in the way the car was running. He also unplugged my injectors one by one to check them. If you unplug one and the car still runs the same, you know that is the bad injector. A bad coil could also cause that issue.

Mike
Old 10-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Bbjones122

I am pretty sure I know what is going on. I went through the same problems. It took me three times to the shop to get it diagnosed correctly. The check engine light does not come on when one of the coils is arching or jumping to the engine block. The boots that connect the coils onto the spark plugs get worn out and crack. I had one boot go bad and it did the exact same thing that you are discribing. The spark would jump to the engine block rather than the plug. Well I thought that I could take care of the problem myself, so I removed all coils and ordered a new coil for the one that was bad. When I put them back on, three other boots failed and it was only running on three cyclinders. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN! You should take it to a Subaru dealer and the can find out if it is a bad coil boot and tell you which one. If you try to run it hard without all cyclinders, you will burn up(melt) the hangers for the exhaust and could cause catalitic problems. Each coil is cylinder specific. Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:33 PM
Green1995SVX

Welcome to the network, and thanks for your post! I actually figured it out myself. The problem was related to bad wiring i did for an aftermarket gauge.

Mike