Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 PM

Registered SVX
twin TD04 project

i was thinking of doing a twin TD04 project on the svx, my only issue is the maf sensor.

currently i'm running ECUtune 2v4f(iir) setup.
looking into this people use a speed density setup to remove the maf all together,

has anyone done this on an svx?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: twin TD04 project

I haven't heard of anyone running speed density on an SVX. Maybe on one of those insane drag builds on a swapped Impreza. The Hydra uses MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor, which also does away with the MAF and opens up the HP restriction.

Another option is to have a single air filter, MAF, and then a y-pipe to the turbo inlets if you have the space available (I don't know what layout you're thinking of).

Good luck!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I haven't heard of anyone running speed density on an SVX. Maybe on one of those insane drag builds on a swapped Impreza. The Hydra uses MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor, which also does away with the MAF and opens up the HP restriction.

Another option is to have a single air filter, MAF, and then a y-pipe to the turbo inlets if you have the space available (I don't know what layout you're thinking of).

Good luck!
MAP = speed density. Basically, the density part of the equation comes from the pressure/MAP, and the speed part comes from the engine speed and displacement. More advanced explanation here: http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mfuel.htm

You're probably thinking of alpha-n.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Well how about that... My understanding of speed density was that it's based on intake air temperature and an engine load/airflow table.

Please forgive my ignorance.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Well how about that... My understanding of speed density was that it's based on intake air temperature and an engine load/airflow table.

Please forgive my ignorance.
Yea that sounds like alpha-n. Basically in alpha-n, the airflow is determined from just the TPS and the engine speed/displacement. In fact, there was an SVX running in alpha-n, dynomatt's rally car, with the megasquirt 2.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 PM

td04's are cheap as dirt. still want to see where this thread goes.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 PM

Registered SVX

it will be on hold until i'm back in ontario where my svx is parked, i got a td04 for cheap and just needs a rebuild. now i just need to source a second.

my plan will be to mount the turbos in front of each wheel and have a 2in 1out FMIC,

crazy i had thought about y pipe splitter which i may just do.

running the oil and coolant lines will also be a challenge, should be fun on the bun.

i will also be rebuilding my spare eg33 (new rods and pistons)
Old 07-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
it will be on hold until i'm back in ontario where my svx is parked, i got a td04 for cheap and just needs a rebuild. now i just need to source a second.

my plan will be to mount the turbos in front of each wheel and have a 2in 1out FMIC,

crazy i had thought about y pipe splitter which i may just do.

running the oil and coolant lines will also be a challenge, should be fun on the bun.

i will also be rebuilding my spare eg33 (new rods and pistons)
That is very similar to what my current build plan is. Either the two turbos in front of the front wheels, or one where the battery was, and one where the abs pump was. I am under the impression that mounting the turbos very low will require a scavenge pump for the oil, and mounting them up above the oil pan will allow them to drain sufficiently by gravity. But mounting them low should make it much easier to leave the amenities like A/C and ABS undisturbed. I think Nate has been kicking around a similar idea as well.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 PM

ABS is something I wouldn't mind getting rid of completely, but I'm too lazy to take the time to remove it and run new lines. I would rather spend the time replacing the headgaskets and finishing the suspension and brakes heh. I can just pull the ABS fuse and not have to worry about it screwing with any hard heavy braking. But it certainly would leave a TON of room in the front corner where the pump is.

A single turbo would sit very well where either the ABS pump or battery is, duals would work in both spots. That would keep them at exactly the right height to allow drainback with ease as long as the lines are routed correctly with NO uphill sections.

One hard thing will be running the downpipes back past the motor with them upfront. Clearance is very tight past the motor where the PS lines and steering shaft are. You may be able to run them down infront of the motor and then back under the motor either inside or outside of the manifolds. But with both an uppipe and downpipe running in that space between the timingbelt cover and radiator fans that space disappears fast.

Hell, I have 2 td04s sitting around in my basement right now that have been swapped out of wrxs. These things are almost throwaways in the WRX world. I might even have another in a few weeks if my other friend has me swap his out heh.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
That is very similar to what my current build plan is. Either the two turbos in front of the front wheels, or one where the battery was, and one where the abs pump was. I am under the impression that mounting the turbos very low will require a scavenge pump for the oil, and mounting them up above the oil pan will allow them to drain sufficiently by gravity. But mounting them low should make it much easier to leave the amenities like A/C and ABS undisturbed. I think Nate has been kicking around a similar idea as well.
was there not someone who had 1 turbo in front on one wheel and a small intercooler in front of another?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:39 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
But with both an uppipe and downpipe running in that space between the timingbelt cover and radiator fans that space disappears fast.
Who says that's the only place to run piping? I was thinking to flip the headers (assuming I stick with the stock headers, which seems likely at this point), so that they point forward, then run each uppipe to the side, under and around the frame, up through a hole cut into the body. Downpipes could be run similarly.

Nate suggested K03s. Thoughts?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:40 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
was there not someone who had 1 turbo in front on one wheel and a small intercooler in front of another?
If there was someone who did it in an SVX, I don't recall ever coming across it.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
If there was someone who did it in an SVX, I don't recall ever coming across it.
Should try and find that post, its how I found out the headers could be flipped
Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Who says that's the only place to run piping? I was thinking to flip the headers (assuming I stick with the stock headers, which seems likely at this point), so that they point forward, then run each uppipe to the side, under and around the frame, up through a hole cut into the body. Downpipes could be run similarly.

Nate suggested K03s. Thoughts?
It's definitely doable, I recall seeing a couple swapped Imprezas with that setup. Here's one:

Although the engineer side of my brain cringes at the thought of plopping a heavy turbo on the end of a bunch of piping without anything else to support it.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 PM

Found 2 td04's for <150 each. Thinking of running them both under the car. Swap the manifolds side to side, rotate them, bolt the TD's up, run an oil filter sandwich plate which would effectively feed and draw oil from the turbos, T off a coolant line and go to down.

Only problem is the MAF, which, if I'm correct you could just swap straight with an MAP sensor without issue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: