Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 AM

PP6 (perfectpower6) on our cars?

I searched, only found one thread. I'm curious to know, is there anyone currently running a PP6 piggyback on their ECU. If so, how is it working/how hard was it to get dialed in?

Were you able to correct for larger injectors/MAF without issue? I ask because I have looked into LAN's chip, but I'd prefer to be able to tune the system myself and have a custom tune for my exact build.

Specs.
01 legacy
EG33 (ported/polished)
3" short intake/pod filter
43PSI FPR (impreza)
2" secondary's to 2.5cat-back.

Future goals.
300ish whp
GT30
96octane self-mixed.

Thanks in advance for any info .
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 AM

Registered SVX
Re: PP6 (perfectpower6) on our cars?

As far as i remember its difficult to run a piggy back on our ecu's because the MAF is already near its peak flow or voltage.

I've been curious about using something like an apexi piggy back or similar to lean it out slighty for a little bit better fuel economy.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

How much does one cost compared to a megasquirt?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
As far as i remember its difficult to run a piggy back on our ecu's because the MAF is already near its peak flow or voltage.

I've been curious about using something like an apexi piggy back or similar to lean it out slighty for a little bit better fuel economy.

that's the point, with a larger MAF and changing the scaling you could run a HUGE MAF (assuming you had enough memory) and run larger injectors.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
How much does one cost compared to a megasquirt?
I've seen them go for as little as 150 used, MS 4? iirc was a PNP option but you had to build it and the kit runs 400USD+.

I'm not that knowledgable with tuning, so I'm trying to figure out what rout WILL work. With a piggyback I can just tweak little things until I break something....err get it running the way I want it to!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
I've seen them go for as little as 150 used, MS 4? iirc was a PNP option but you had to build it and the kit runs 400USD+.

I'm not that knowledgable with tuning, so I'm trying to figure out what rout WILL work. With a piggyback I can just tweak little things until I break something....err get it running the way I want it to!
The MS3X is about $600 and when all is said and done (WBO2 sensors, wiring, etc, etc) will add up to quite a bit more than that. I am getting closer and closer to having everything figured out though.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
The MS3X is about $600 and when all is said and done (WBO2 sensors, wiring, etc, etc) will add up to quite a bit more than that. I am getting closer and closer to having everything figured out though.

Ouch, I know there's a guy here who bought a MS4? He and I were talking about it for a while, not sure if he ever went through with making a thread on his findings.

It's the same MS I was going to buy, but a few looks at the interface and I realized I had DAYS worth of research left before I dropped the coin on that.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Ouch, I know there's a guy here who bought a MS4? He and I were talking about it for a while, not sure if he ever went through with making a thread on his findings.

It's the same MS I was going to buy, but a few looks at the interface and I realized I had DAYS worth of research left before I dropped the coin on that.
MS4 doesn't exist, although they did just release something called an MS pro, which is basically a slightly refined MS3X plus all of the options in a weatherproof case. It's ok, just wait until I've got it all figured out and then hopefully it's just a a matter of wiring things up as I did, and loading my tune.

Some quick searching on the PP6 show that it basically fudges the MAF signal to the ECU, so the ECU injects more or less fuel accordingly. I really don't think that's the best way to go about it. It doesn't give you the complete control that a standalone does. Between that and LAN's stage 2 chip, I'd go with the chip.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
MS4 doesn't exist, although they did just release something called an MS pro, which is basically a slightly refined MS3X plus all of the options in a weatherproof case. It's ok, just wait until I've got it all figured out and then hopefully it's just a a matter of wiring things up as I did, and loading my tune.

Some quick searching on the PP6 show that it basically fudges the MAF signal to the ECU, so the ECU injects more or less fuel accordingly. I really don't think that's the best way to go about it. It doesn't give you the complete control that a standalone does. Between that and LAN's stage 2 chip, I'd go with the chip.
I do apologize, I haven't looked at the DIY PNP store in a LONG time.
It does 'fudge' the signal, it basically takes a signal, modifies it and feeds it to the ECU. There's nothing that can really go wrong there. Well, I say that but anything can go wrong if you look at it just the right way.

I'm still up in the air about which tuning option to go with, I'd love a DIY PNP MS system, but having no clue how to tune it hinders my effectiveness. I need to watch some instructional vids on it. . .
Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 AM

There's nothing like a true standalone to get everything set correctly. I'm really liking the Hydra, but I have to learn to tune better so I can get all the fueling setup correctly and it running good. Everything is dependent on the fuel, AFR, and timing tables and when the motor is as custom as mine, there is nothing to go off of as a base.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
There's nothing like a true standalone to get everything set correctly. I'm really liking the Hydra, but I have to learn to tune better so I can get all the fueling setup correctly and it running good. Everything is dependent on the fuel, AFR, and timing tables and when the motor is as custom as mine, there is nothing to go off of as a base.
Yea, the cool thing about the MS tunerstudio software is that the paid version now has an autotune feature. You tell it a target AFR and it uses the wideband to tune the VE table to get there. I am actually using the stock timing and target AFR maps pulled from the stock ECU as a base for mine, since the motor is close to stock. (The stock ECU doesn't use VE maps in it's calculations).

I wouldn't mind having a look at the maps that you have as well. You have sicksubie's s/c motor, right?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 PM

Yea I do, once I get them worked out some more I can send em over to you. But I havnt been doing any tuning due to winter and hunting down 2 more coil packs to upgrade to the new style coil pack. Once it warms up again I can start back working on it.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Yea, the cool thing about the MS tunerstudio software is that the paid version now has an autotune feature. You tell it a target AFR and it uses the wideband to tune the VE table to get there. I am actually using the stock timing and target AFR maps pulled from the stock ECU as a base for mine, since the motor is close to stock. (The stock ECU doesn't use VE maps in it's calculations).

I wouldn't mind having a look at the maps that you have as well. You have sicksubie's s/c motor, right?
Holy ****, how'd you get an understandable rip of the Eprom code? The only thing I've ever been able to find online is acronym babble that means nothing to me.

Also, that auto tune feature sounds awesome, does it work with forced induction applications as well? Do you know if it also adjusts for outside temp IE winter/summer?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Holy ****, how'd you get an understandable rip of the Eprom code? The only thing I've ever been able to find online is acronym babble that means nothing to me.

Also, that auto tune feature sounds awesome, does it work with forced induction applications as well? Do you know if it also adjusts for outside temp IE winter/summer?
http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/ecureverse.html

Years ago, some very skilled people on the forum started to pull ROM dumps and start reverse-engineering them. So some things like the ignition tables and target AFR maps were deciphered, among other things.

The Autotune feature, I have not gotten to try yet, but it's supposed to work really well. Dynomatt, whose race car has been running on a MS2 for years, highly recommended it to me, and since then they have continued to improve the software. It should work great for FI. Most MS installs use an IAT sensor, to adjust for temperature. You can even do barometric correction, for different elevations. I haven't come across many things that these MS3X ECUs can't be made able to do, and it's mostly stuff like cruise control.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

I would not recomend a piggy back system on an SVX most especially for forced induction.

The factory firmware in the SVX ECU has very little ignition timing in the primary ignition table and relies on an algorythm using the knock sensors to learn in additional timing up to a maximum specified in the ignition revision table. This system doesn't work as well as just specifying ignition timing for good performance in the primary ignition table even for naturally aspirated cars. It completely doesn't work on forced induction cars. The "aggressive" tunes which all the ECUtune versions are now were first developed to solve the problems with forced induction; we then found that doing the same thing with the stage 1's also gave much better results.

So if you are going to use a stock ECU use ECUtune firmware and forget the piggy back. If you want to do your own tuning you need a standalone.