Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Remote Mount Turbo

I believe steel was being facetious, and taking your statement of "on the turbo" literally.

Oh and curious his comment actually reminded me. Are you going to wrap the exhaust all the way back to the turbo? and or use a turbo blanket? I am not sure if hotter exhaust through the turbo would be helpful or not.

Last edited by 92 SVX; 02-14-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Hey, I read "right on the turbo". You never know

One think I want to ask though is I believe you mentioned catch cans? I picked up two recently myself (for the crankcase and PCV) and I'm sure you know they need to be under vacuum to work correctly... Which as far as I can tell in our application would mean running two lines to the back of the car where our air intake pipe will now be located. Is this what you were planning to do or is there something smarter I just haven't thought of yet?

Last edited by STeeL25T; 02-14-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM

well the bad news is I didn't get any parts in today. The good news is pics.
Here is the turbo, it's a GT35, I used the book as a reference to the size of it, it's close a high school/college text book in length, height, and width. That's why I decided to chop out the pare tire well.

The electric pumps from left to right, 132GPH, 100GPH, and 1GPM

This is the heater core which will be my radiator, the "intake" and exhaust flanges for the exhaust side of the turbo, and a piece of misc intake piping plumbed for the blow off valve
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 PM

@STeeL25T The purpose of my catch cans are really just to be reservoirs, for the oil and coolant. As far as vacuum goes, I really haven't decided yet, I was thinking of something along the lines of a "power strip" one central location to draw power from, but in this case maybe a "vacuum strip" I am considering routing the vacuum lines to a central area and using a check valve with the source of the vacuum being the intake "when not under boost" But I have also considered using a vacuum pump. I have considered the vacuum strip, drawing vacuum from the intake as well as a second source being ran to the intake side of the turbo. to be completely honest I am still open to suggestions and that may be a trial and error set up for me.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Niiiiiiice

Needa get me one of those. Or possibly, two, smaller ones of those
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-15-2012, 04:20 PM

I got my electric fans in today. It will fit perfectly up against the heater core. Here is a pic of the fan, and then one of the fan against the heater core.

It fits like a glove
Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM

Talking to my buddy here and he gave me a great idea for the PCV set up. I may just go with a small filter on one cam cover, and then the other cam cover through a check valve into the intake manifold, so when not under boost then one cam cover will draw vacuum and then the other will let fresh air pass through the engine I may have to think of a way to add some sort of restriction there so it's not a HUGE vacuum leak.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Ok so for another update, yesterday after work I came home to find that my coolant reservoir, blow off valve, and o2 sensors came in today. I am gonna hit up the hardware store for some brass fittings, and I should be getting some more parts in today so I will update with more pics this evening.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX

intresting aproach and project you have your work cut out,

i been inolved with turbo AWD cars for 15 years now starting with dsm's and making a monster evo x

working with a n/a and converting it to a turbo car has lots down sides thats not to your favor,

best of luck and keep us updated =>
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Registered SVX

very beautiful, was thinking about a similar project,

they do make vacuum powered pumps for stuff like that, belt driven off the motor (morrosso) specifically for boosted applications, if you do need that...

what are the ports on the turbo for?

Last edited by Jay Wrix; 02-18-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wrix View Post
very beautiful, was thinking about a similar project,

they do make vacuum powered pumps for stuff like that, belt driven off the motor (morrosso) specifically for boosted applications, if you do need that...

what are the ports on the turbo for?
They do make them 96-99 and possibly other years chevy turbo diesels have belt driven vac pumps, of course on them it doesnt make any sense the only thing requiring vac is the waste gate they could have just made electric or even mech waste gate controller.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM

Registered SVX

brake boosters require vacuum to operate as well as cruise control

(correct me if diesel trucks are differnt, i know airbrakes are....)
Old 02-19-2012, 01:11 PM

@ Jay Wrix' comment that is right. the reason vacuum pumps are used on a diesel is because there is no throttle body on a diesel, like there is on a gasoline engine. The throttle body being closed off while the engine is running is what creates the vacuum, a diesel however is allowed to get a full charge of air at all operating speeds, and the engine speed is controlled by fuel alone, a gas engine you have to control air and fuel flow to prevent leaning out.

The ports on the turbo, I assume your talking about the long metal tubes that come off if it, these are for coolant, one supply, and one return. the small fitting in the middle is for oil supply, and there is one on the bottom you can't see in the pics is the oil return. some turbos are oil and air cooled, this one is liquid cooled, the oil and air will draw some heat off, but mostly liquid cooled.

Quick update on the build, I am fabbing up my exhaust flange, and hope to get the turbo mounted today, if not by tomorrow definitely and I will post a few pics. I got my trans cooler and electric fan mounted, and everything is plumbed for the oil system, I will test it for flow after everything is mounted and if satisfactory I will run it like for the time being. I won't plumb anything from the turbo to the intake yet, I am waiting on my stage 2 ecutune, and then an engine swap, then the last of the intake plumbing.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 02-19-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Registered SVX

no, i knew that i was refering to all the apparent holes around the inside of the turbo where the air goes in,
Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM

O my bad, those are for some sort of anti surge. I bought two GT35's they both arrived at the same time, one has those anti-surge holes, and the other does not, other than that they are identical. I have never seen these anti-suge holes on any other turbo before. I guess we'll see if they "work" LOL

I just used and searched for anti surge, there is a lot of info on it.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 02-19-2012 at 01:31 PM.