Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 12:09 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Ice's fully-baked turbo build

After masking and painting:

'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

cant wait to hear it running!!! Great job!!!
92 Black SVX LSL with B&M cooler & Aux filter. Small Car Shift Kit. Gone
94 Red SVX L FWDwith LSL Leather Interior. SOLD
92 Teal SVX LSL....with B&M cooler & Aux filter. Small Car Shift Kit. SOLD
95 Polo Green........With Trany Problem. GONE
Almost complete Rear Wheel Bearings Job with Pictures in my locker
My Locker http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?pearlm30
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Registered SVX

'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 09-16-2012, 12:47 PM

Registered SVX

Ok so the overall plan is basically this:

step 1: get parts to build engine - done
step 2: have engine build - done
step 3: put engine together the rest of the way
step 4: make current engine run on the megasquirt
step 5: swap new engine into car, run on the megasquirt
step 6: buy turbo, intercooler, etc
step 7: have turbo piping made and put it all together
step 8: lots of tuning

So still a very long way from being done, but some significant progress nonetheless. The rest of the engine, is in storage until we buy a house, so I can't really do any assembly for a while. I might go ahead and order a megasquirt and get started figuring that out in the meantime.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 AM

I can't tell from the photos, are ARP head studs in all positions? Or just the center ones (i.e. using (2) sets of EJ2X studs)?

cheers
-Evan
Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverLift View Post
I can't tell from the photos, are ARP head studs in all positions? Or just the center ones (i.e. using (2) sets of EJ2X studs)?

cheers
-Evan
All positions. You can get them from atomicspeedware.com, which is run by Nick Arias. The site is down for a redesign at the moment, but their facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/atomic.speedware and there is a contact number. (Actually if you scroll down the page a bit there are some pictures of a custom stroker crank that they made for the EG33. Very cool.)

There are 8 headbolts per side, 4 longer, and 4 shorter. The longer ones go in the center spots, and the shorter ones go in the front and back pairs of spots. When I ordered them I got 16 long ones, and had to send back 8, and then they sent the right ones. So they should have the right ARP part numbers on hand now to make the sets correctly, but you will still want to double check.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Brilliant, thanks!

I appreciate you taking the time to answer all of my questions. The engine is looking good!

cheers
-Evan
Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 PM

Out of interest, what was the pricing for the full headstud kit? Interesting you went the full kit rather than just pinning the center piston. I've gone the other way, ditching my 6 year old ARPs, for the new AGE ARP's but in centre location only. Been told it will handle 28 psi hahaha... I'll be happy with 14 odd.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverLift View Post
Brilliant, thanks!

I appreciate you taking the time to answer all of my questions. The engine is looking good!
No problem man. And thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Out of interest, what was the pricing for the full headstud kit? Interesting you went the full kit rather than just pinning the center piston. I've gone the other way, ditching my 6 year old ARPs, for the new AGE ARP's but in centre location only. Been told it will handle 28 psi hahaha... I'll be happy with 14 odd.
It was $300-something. Honestly, part of the reason I went ahead and got them was that people have had trouble getting proper EG33 sets in the past, so I figured I might not be able to get them in the future if I didn't get them now.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Registered SVX

Weirdest thing just happened and I wanted to share. The guy who fixed the 6-speed before I put it into my blue car (it had no reverse due to a broken shift fork) just discovered facebook, and I happened across some pictures that he took of 6-speed when it was all taken apart:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-speed taken apart 1.jpg (115.5 KB, 1467 views)
File Type: jpg 6-speed taken apart 2.jpg (85.2 KB, 1312 views)
File Type: jpg 6-speed taken apart 3.jpg (100.7 KB, 1420 views)

Old 10-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Nice!!! I've had to rebuild mine twice due to breaking the same part, the funny thing is the reverse and 1-6 selectors are the same part number and they're half the size of the 5MT part. Which is annoying because the 6MT is near bullet proof except for this one part. The good thing is it's only $45 from Subaru - the bad thing is the entire box needs to be stripped down and I've found there is a certain torx bit which lasts about 1 install due to the torque setting Subaru require.

However PPG from Adelaide can supply you with a billet selector which is far stronger.

Last edited by bazza; 10-10-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
(Actually if you scroll down the page a bit there are some pictures of a custom stroker crank that they made for the EG33. Very cool.)

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 PM

Registered SVX

^ Yea that was a surprise. These are getting a surprising amount of attention from non-SVX people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Nice!!! I've had to rebuild mine twice due to breaking the same part, the funny thing is the reverse and 1-6 selectors are the same part number and they're half the size of the 5MT part. Which is annoying because the 6MT is near bullet proof except for this one part. The good thing is it's only $45 from Subaru - the bad thing is the entire box needs to be stripped down and I've found there is a certain torx bit which lasts about 1 install due to the torque setting Subaru require.

However PPG from Adelaide can supply you with a billet selector which is far stronger.
Very cool. Yea I was tempted to try and fix it myself, but decided it was too risky, what with my having had no idea what I'd be getting myself into. If I ever have it apart I'll check those out.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:17 PM

Registered SVX

(Posted in the "What have you done to your SVX today?" thread, but also wanted to cross-post it here for posterity.)

Stayed up until [7]AM last night going through wiring diagrams, pinouts, and the actual wires of my spare engine and body harnesses getting the megasquirt wiring figured out. Pleased to say that I have it about 95% figured out. All that's left to figure out is:
1: whether the crank and cam sensors need any resistors to get a good enough signal to the megasquirt, and there's no real way to make sure of that without actual experimentation.
and 2: how to wire up the IRIS solenoid, which I will probably leave until later because it's not needed to just get the car running. The stock ECU has a constant, switched +12V going to one pin on the solenoid, and grounds the other at the ECU to switch it on (closes the IRIS valve) above 2200 and below 4000 RPMs. The megasquirt has many spare outputs that I can use for this, but I am slightly confused about whether some of them provide ground or power (and if so, whether they are +12V or +5V), and a lot of them are PWM, which I'm not sure whether it would be appropriate to use to drive the solenoid. Probably need to post up on the MS forums for an answer to that one.

I will start actually wiring it up tonight, and post my wiring diagrams and such very clearly and with plenty of explanation soon, once I have verified that it (at least mostly) makes real-world sense.

Very satisfied and proud of myself.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Very interested in seeing how the MS build goes!

I built one that I put on an XT/4 turbo a long time ago. Made a huge difference compared to the antique ECM it had. Good to see that it can now be used with the Subaru crank/cam sensors on the new versions of the MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88;
Stayed up until [7]AM last night going through wiring diagrams, pinouts, and the actual wires of my spare engine and body harnesses getting the megasquirt wiring figured out. Pleased to say that I have it about 95% figured out. All that's left to figure out is:
1: whether the crank and cam sensors need any resistors to get a good enough signal to the megasquirt, and there's no real way to make sure of that without actual experimentation.
and 2: how to wire up the IRIS solenoid, which I will probably leave until later because it's not needed to just get the car running. The stock ECU has a constant, switched +12V going to one pin on the solenoid, and grounds the other at the ECU to switch it on (closes the IRIS valve) above 2200 and below 4000 RPMs. The megasquirt has many spare outputs that I can use for this, but I am slightly confused about whether some of them provide ground or power (and if so, whether they are +12V or +5V), and a lot of them are PWM, which I'm not sure whether it would be appropriate to use to drive the solenoid. Probably need to post up on the MS forums for an answer to that one.

I will start actually wiring it up tonight, and post my wiring diagrams and such very clearly and with plenty of explanation soon, once I have verified that it (at least mostly) makes real-world sense.

Very satisfied and proud of myself.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: