Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-16-2010, 12:38 PM

SVX Won't Start... Fuel Pump?

My SVX died on me in the middle of road yesterday and wouldn't start. Had to get towed back home. It cranks and sometimes catches but then immediately dies. (But, mostly just cranks.) It has done this twice before this past summer. The first time it started back up again after 10 or 15 tries. The second time it started up after I had a friend come over to look at it and we had barely begun to diagnose it. I've checked the fuses, replaced the battery, replaced the fuel filter, and tried swapping the MAF sensor with a known good one.
What should I do now? Where can I check to see if the fuel pump is getting voltage? (I think it has a relay under the steering wheel.) Or is it probably something else entirely?
Thank you for any help.

UPDATE: I just got code 37 for the oxygen sensor. Would this cause my problems?

Last edited by daristotle; 09-21-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Re: SVX Won't Start... Fuel Pump?

Alright, so today I tried starting the car several times, checked for codes, then checked for voltage at the main relay. There was voltage. I then disconnected the 'in' hose to the fuel filter put it in a bottle and turn the key to the on position. No gas came out. Then I removed the rear seat and checked for voltage at the wiring harness there. I got voltage. I tried starting the car and it fired right up. Let it run for a minute then turned it off and then back on. Ugh. What should I be checking next here? I really don't want to stall out in rush hour traffic again.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Not sure if this relavent but I believe my problem like this was something to do with the fuseable link.

Just a thought

[1992 LSl, Claret 160k] / [1992 LSl, Dark Teal #378 172k] / [1992 LSl, Claret 150k] / [1992 LSl, Liquid Silver donor] / [1992 LSl, Liquid Silver 4.44] / [1997 LSi, Polo green #089, 150k]

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Z34, white 35k miles
1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro, charcoal grey >200k (first car)
1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro, charcoal grey >200K (for sale)
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor
1994 GMC Jimmy S-15
Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM

I checked the fuseable link and it seemed good. I drove the car today to the auto parts store to have the alternator tested. (It tested good.) On the way home the check engine light came on and I got code 37. (Oxygen Sensor No. 2, Left Side, On SVX.) I was still able to drive the car home and the performance didn't seem any different. Could this be the source for all my problems or yet another problem?

Last edited by daristotle; 09-21-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:49 PM

Registered SVX

I started having similar problems just today coming home from work. First my car feels like it wants to shut off while driving, and honestly the closest thing I can compare the feeling to is when my other cars electronic speed governor came on and shut off the fuel to the engine. Exact same feeling. Then when I get home and it wants to stall constantly. Any advice would be welcome.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 AM

fuel pump relay? shouldn't you get 2 x 12 volt readings at the pump connector under the seat? one for the pump and one for the gauge?

Last edited by legacyau; 09-24-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyau View Post
fuel pump relay? shouldn't you get 2 x 12 volt readings at the pump connector under the seat? one for the pump and one for the gauge?
The blue wire should have 12v onlY when the key is on. Yellow should have 12 all the time. Green is the switching wire from the ecu that should turn on the relay and then there is a ground. I would start by checking the yellow, and move along from there. Make sure you have power at blue at the pump. If all is good, you may just have a bad pump.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Dont forget to check the fuel pump modulator in the trunk. Sometimes it can get bumped by stuff in the trunk.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:32 PM

Thanks. I'll recheck those wires when get some time. Where exactly is the fuel pump relay or is it just the main relay? Does anyone have a part number? I can't seem to find it on any parts site. And where is the fuel pump modulator located? I can't find that either.

Last edited by daristotle; 09-25-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:58 PM

Registered SVX

double check your fuses under the dash board, specifically the E/G IGN Airbag fuse,
same thing happened to me that fuse was blown.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Dont forget to check the fuel pump modulator in the trunk. Sometimes it can get bumped by stuff in the trunk.
Yes, also the ground wire from the modulator, if that is bad it won't supply a ground for the pump.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by daristotle View Post
Thanks. I'll recheck those wires when get some time. Where exactly is the fuel pump relay or is it just the main relay? Does anyone have a part number? I can't seem to find it on any parts site. And where is the fuel pump modulator located? I can't find that either.
Click here to see where it is. I would download this for future reference.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
If it turns out to be the relay, you should be able to match it to another at the parts store.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnycash View Post
The blue wire should have 12v onlY when the key is on. Yellow should have 12 all the time. Green is the switching wire from the ecu that should turn on the relay and then there is a ground. I would start by checking the yellow, and move along from there. Make sure you have power at blue at the pump. If all is good, you may just have a bad pump.
Alright, so here are the findings. Under the rear passenger seat I get 12v with the key turned on for a few seconds, I get nothing at all from yellow. Without the key in, with the key in, and with the key on - I wasn't able to get any voltage from yellow. At the connector to the pump I got 12v on blue again. I checked the modulator and got a solid 12v ground. Rechecked the fuses and all looks good.
So is it just a bad relay then? I've been able to drive it around. Is the fuel pump relay the silver cylinder one with the blue and yellow wires going to it from the harness under the drivers side? Part number 056700-5260 12v 22A. Should I go ahead and replace the main relay as well?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Alright, so here are the findings. Under the rear passenger seat I get 12v with the key turned on for a few seconds, I get nothing at all from yellow. Without the key in, with the key in, and with the key on - I wasn't able to get any voltage from yellow. At the connector to the pump I got 12v on blue again. I checked the modulator and got a solid 12v ground. Rechecked the fuses and all looks good.
So is it just a bad relay then? I've been able to drive it around. Is the fuel pump relay the silver cylinder one with the blue and yellow wires going to it from the harness under the drivers side? Part number 056700-5260 12v 22A. Should I go ahead and replace the main relay as well?
Yes that is the fp relay that you have located. I'm pretty sure if the main relay were bad, the starter would not work. I just went through a similar thing on my 92. I'm pretty sure it was the yellow wire feeding the relay that was energized all the time. If you have no volatage at that wire, I don't know where the pump is getting it's power. I am not looking at a wiring diagram and it's been a while since I was under the dash... maybe somebody else could confirm these wires before you go any further.