How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Sold. :'-(

Wants to overheat

OK guys, having an issue with my poor little car.
Not quite as bright and shiny as she was 7-8 years ago when i bought her,
She has some minor rust starting, a few minor bumps and scrapes (daughter's been driving her),
And now she's wanting to overheat...

I made sure the radiator has fluid, the oil is good, etc...(just checking everything...)
It has an aftermarket radiator of some kind, but I have no way to get any info on it or the hoses or anything, no longer communicating with the guy who did the trans swap, radiator, etc.
My best guess is a thermostat? But where is it and how hard is it to get to on this car?
Does that sound reasonable to you guys, or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks!

~M
Raxles front axles
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Wants to overheat

A few more specific symptoms please. How does the temperature gauge react? Just climb and stay there or fluctuate up and down? Is there anything you do that causes the gauge to fall?

Possible causes are a bad thermostat, a bad radiator cap or the dreaded head gasket.

How many miles on the pearlie?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blue View Post
OK guys, having an issue with my poor little car.
Not quite as bright and shiny as she was 7-8 years ago when i bought her,
She has some minor rust starting, a few minor bumps and scrapes (daughter's been driving her),
And now she's wanting to overheat...

I made sure the radiator has fluid, the oil is good, etc...(just checking everything...)
It has an aftermarket radiator of some kind, but I have no way to get any info on it or the hoses or anything, no longer communicating with the guy who did the trans swap, radiator, etc.
My best guess is a thermostat? But where is it and how hard is it to get to on this car?
Does that sound reasonable to you guys, or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks!

~M
:Slaps hand over eyes:

Whos gonna say it? Im not going to, not this time.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM

Over 150Kmi, climbs and stays, just replaced the radiator cap after the first episode of this, just in case...Head gasket?! Ugh, let's hope not.

Thanks!

~M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
:Slaps hand over eyes:

Whos gonna say it? Im not going to, not this time.

That's pretty helpful?
What are you on about?
Raxles front axles
Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Our head-gasket problems almost seems to be more of a time problem than a miles-thing

Keith
Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Uh, ok?

Any help with the car?

What's up with this place these days?
Ok, do a block test on it, or pay someone to do it. Very easy, quick, and cheap way to find out if you have a HG problem.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Remove the bottom belly pan.
Drivers side,
Look for the thermostat housing on the bottom of the engine, drivers side
The lower radiator hose connects to the housing.
The housing is held to the block by 2 10mm bolts.

21200AA072...Thermostat...$12.15
21236AA010...Thermostat Gasket...$2.62

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermostat.jpg (71.2 KB, 628 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-13-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Uh, ok?

Any help with the car?

What's up with this place these days?
Yeah, good luck getting help from that individual. It could be a stuck thermostat but it could also be a dead water pump, no? I can't recall but there is an easy hose test for a thermostat stuck closed and I'm sure svxfiles can give a good test for the water pump. In my case, the gauge temp sender went bad but the reading was low, not high. It is possible that the gauge itself is bad. If you were close I would plug in the code reader as it can capture live data. That would verify that the temp is indeed going high, versus it being a gauge or sender issue. That's how I knew my readings were bogus. Svxfiles gave me typical temp readings and my ECU was reporting normal temps while the gauge was reading off. And, yes, it could be a head gasket. But don't assume the worst and start with the cheapest stuff first. Make sure the gauge is reading correctly. Then move on to tests for the thermostat. Then the water pump, etc.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 PM

It was on its way to overheating. Not a bad gauge.
Thanks for the thermostat info, I'll check that.
If someone has a test for the water pump, let me know.
Here's hoping...

~M
Raxles front axles
Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Found this as a test for a stuck closed thermostat:

"If the upper radiator hose is hot at the engine end and cool at the radiator end, coolant is not circulating. The upper hose is normally cooler than the lower hose due to cooling via the radiator."

and

"Compare the temperatures between these two hoses. Keep in mind that when operating normally, your lower radiator hose should be warmer than the top hose. If one hose is a lot warmer than the other, then it’s highly likely you have a stuck thermostat. "

I suppose it is also possible that the radiator is clogged.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil

Last edited by immortal_suby; 09-14-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: removed quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Found this as a test for a stuck closed thermostat:

"If the upper radiator hose is hot at the engine end and cool at the radiator end, coolant is not circulating. The upper hose is normally cooler than the lower hose due to cooling via the radiator."

and

"Compare the temperatures between these two hoses. Keep in mind that when operating normally, your lower radiator hose should be warmer than the top hose. If one hose is a lot warmer than the other, then it’s highly likely you have a stuck thermostat. "

I suppose it is also possible that the radiator is clogged.
Are you talking about a SVX?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

How long after the car is running does it want to overheat? Also, what kind of driving are you doing when it is happening, city or highway? A/C on? Fans working?

Tom
Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
How long after the car is running does it want to overheat? Also, what kind of driving are you doing when it is happening, city or highway? A/C on? Fans working?

Tom

Within 10 minutes, maybe sooner.
It was in town, slow city driving with the a/c on.
Fans sounded like they were working fine.
Raxles front axles
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 AM

Registered SVX

Start with the thermostat. Cheapest and easiest. You should be able to do it yourself if you have some standard tools. If that doesn't work then I would move on to verifying your radiator is not plugged. If none of the above applies there may be a good chance your headgaskets are on their way out (or if your lucky like huskymaniac was it could be a gauge related issue. He was the exception rather than the rule though).

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Start with the thermostat. Cheapest and easiest. You should be able to do it yourself if you have some standard tools. If that doesn't work then I would move on to verifying your radiator is not plugged. If none of the above applies there may be a good chance your headgaskets are on their way out (or if your lucky like huskymaniac was it could be a gauge related issue. He was the exception rather than the rule though).
WORD, baby!!! Sometimes I get lucky. Actually, as annoying as this car has been, I have been pretty lucky. The gauge problem was only a sender. The dripping fluid from the bottom engine cover was a loose fitting on the power steering pump. The dead A/C was a leaky o-ring.

The thing that I find interesting about Michael's case is that the temperature rises quickly and stays high. In most of the HG cases, doesn't it usually start off with the gauge reading normal, spiking randomly and then settling back down?

On a related note, I really enjoy seeing the words, "This user is on your Ignore List."