How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-26-2002, 10:31 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Maybe use a 2x4 cut to a length that would fit between the fenders and rest on their ledge, then loop a rope , a strap, a coat hanger, whatever to balance the engine?
Old 08-27-2002, 02:59 AM
Registered Abuser

throttle body

Is it normal to remove unbolt and lift up the top half of the throttle body in order to remove the tc bolts? I lifted it up about two inches on the first car and the bolts came out without too much of a problem. With the second, I am using a shorter ratchet while not messing with the throttle body and I feel I am getting just as much torque on them. But it just wants to slip off. I have tried about six different 12mm sockets on them and they all have a little play in them. I am going to try a offset box end wrench next, after I stop at Sears.

I'm sure there is an easy way and a hard way to line up the drive plate and the torque converter when you put the tranny back. Anyone want to share the easy way? Thanks again.

Stephen
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 08-27-2002, 11:34 AM

Exclamation This is important!!!

When the tranny mates up to the engine it will slide up on the two lower studs. There isn't really any issues with lining up the TC to the flex plate - it all just slides into position. Watch the PS lines is my only caution. I know I'm fat fingered, but while the tranny came out with the filler tube attached, it went back in easier with it off. Watch the electrical connectors so they don't get smashed up against the tunnel

If for some reason the flex plate was moved so a hole doesn't show at the top, then just turn the engine over by breaker bar/socket on main pulley until it does.

Here's the VERY important part. The TC should rotate by just finger pressure, even with the tranny bolted up tight to the engine. Turn the TC until one of the flexplate holes lines with with one on the TC. If you have to back off the tranny mounting bolts to turn the TC, then you didn't fully seat the TC in the tranny itself and WILL damage the unit if you try to start without addressing this (DAMHIKIJK). You're gonna hate this, but if it doesn't rotate freely, ya gotta pull it apart enough to get that TC fully seated in the housing so that it will rotate free even with all the four of the engine/tranny mount bolts torqued.

Once you've got one bolt started, then just turn the engine and insert until all are snugged up properly (I did it in three complete rounds just to make sure I didn't warp something by torquing the bolts too much on a single pass).
Old 08-29-2002, 03:43 PM
Registered Abuser

Well, I got the second tranny out. I tried to put the good one back, but I couldn't get the tail end of the tranny high enough to slide it on the studs. The motor seemed to be moving too much. My garage is severely sloped and I didn't want to raise the back of the car any higher. So I took it to CARR Subaru to let them finish it. They were quite surprised that I accomplished what I did. I managed to save two thirds of the labor and buy some more tools, so I am satisfied. I'll have it back tonight. Thanks again for all the help, especially Lee!

Stephen
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 08-29-2002, 04:39 PM

A couple of ways of saying you're welcome...

You're welcome - I've gotten so much help on this forum that I'm happy when I can repay a tiny bit.

You're welcome - but most of my info was plagerized from stevesby while I attempted a recovery from another of my screwups (I REALLY hate it when my wife points out how I never pay attention to directions - or ask for any - until too late) - Anyway stevesby, if you're listening...

And before I exit stage right - post again after you get it back and please tell us all is well.